Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM

532 posts, read 2,840,335 times

Advertisements

If you've had any experience with using a dustless wood floor refinisher, please tell me about it or DM me with contact info.

I have a Bruce 3/4" hardwood floor with Cherry stain and urethane (not wax) that has has 10 years worth of scratches and dullness from dirt, dog claws, furniture, heels, etc. There's some fading where the skylights hit it, but I'd really just like to correct the dullness and remove the scratches.

We had a Bruce floor installer tell us that it would have to be sanded down to the wood (and into the stain) and then restained and resealed (urethane). the job will create dust everywhere, it's unavoidable, and the fumes means we'll be out of the house for a week.

A decorator suggested just having the floors "buffed".

We saw Nhance at the Raleigh home show and I got a postcard from MrSandless.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,876,897 times
I had some oak plank flooring installed in a couple of rooms a few years ago. We didn't go with a "dustless" company, but all of them we got bids from had some form of dust control system that minimized the dust. Although we have an open floor plan so the rooms couldn't be blocked off, I didn't notice much dust anywhere after the sanding.

What are they going to use on the floors that the fumes will drive you out for a week? We never left, and again we didn't have a single problem in terms of fumes or odors.

I don't know about pre-finished floors, but generally to renew the finish they just have to take a light sanding buffer over the surface to scuff up the urethene and they lay down a new coat or two of finish. I'm surprised to hear the suggestion that they need to sand all they way down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary