Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,088,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
The older parts of the Triangle were not built for the population we have. That's why I like the newer parts, as they were designed for mass migration.
Really??? I strongly suggest you head out to Falls of Neuse Road and Capital Blvd north of 540 during morning or evening rush hour. This is obviously around the "newer parts" of Bedford, Heritage, Wakefield, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,896,516 times
I love the logic of this analysis. Somehow, the statement "Traffic isn't as bad as people say" is deemed to be equivalent to the absolute conclusion that "traffic isn't bad" (or doesn't have problems). That's like saying that "It doesn't rain here as much as people say" means the same as "it doesn't rain here."

The question isn't how traffic relates to what people say about it (really, what does that measure), but rather how much traffic are our major thoroughfares designed to carry, and how much are they actually handling. By that standard, there seems ample evidence that the Triangle area has problems of congestion and over-use on some roads. Is it as bad as in other areas of the country? No. But is that the relevant yardstick?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,015,682 times
Highway 54 between RTP and Cary is one of, if not the worst commuting corridor in the city. I put it on the same level as Capitol and Falls of Neuse in the "VERY poorly planned artery to a now-developed area"

It takes a half hour to go 5 miles. I don't know anyone that makes that commute that likes it.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 AM

746 posts, read 2,244,325 times
capital from burlington mills road to 540 is stupid - there should be an access road an no lights. that single change would alleviate the congestion immediately. (and send it farther down on capital!)

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 AM

72 posts, read 282,892 times
I've noticed traffic on 540 has gotten considerably lighter over the past few months. I live off Falls of Neuse and leave for work at 8 am every morning taking 540 from FoN to Airport Blvd. It used to be that if I got out of the house just a few minutes after 8 about half my commute would be a parking lot. Now I hardly ever get caught up in traffic except occasionally at the Creedmor and Leesville Rd exits. Leaving at 5 I still hit traffic around the 70 exit sometimes but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 AM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighJeff View Post
I've noticed traffic on 540 has gotten considerably lighter over the past few months. I live off Falls of Neuse and leave for work at 8 am every morning taking 540 from FoN to Airport Blvd. It used to be that if I got out of the house just a few minutes after 8 about half my commute would be a parking lot. Now I hardly ever get caught up in traffic except occasionally at the Creedmor and Leesville Rd exits. Leaving at 5 I still hit traffic around the 70 exit sometimes but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.
Right. If this turns out to be GDII as I think it might in a couple of years RTP will have the same number of companies as the Global TransPark. I won't be surprised for many of the multi lane roads NC-DOT for cost saving will close down some of the lanes.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
Right. If this turns out to be GDII...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM

621 posts, read 2,215,391 times
Regarding traffic, those of us in the triangle should have nothing to complain about in comparison to other parts of the country... However, it's the lack of heavy traffic in the area leads to MANY unnecessary delays on the roads (e.g. sometimes you need to flow with the traffic and not stick out like a sore thumb--faster or slower). Just my .02

Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Regarding traffic, those of us in the triangle should have nothing to complain about in comparison to other parts of the country...
Sorry, that's a non sequitur argument. I don't care what traffic is like in other parts; I notice how much it has gotten worse HERE in the past few years. It's like saying "stop complaining about your migraine headache because people somewhere in the world are being beheaded."

The valid comparison is "Triangle now to Triangle previously", not "Triangle now to somewhere else".

Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,896,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think he meant "Great Depression II" (GDII).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary