Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 PM

306 posts, read 1,189,724 times

Advertisements

I have heard so much about deers loving fresh growing veggies, can you blame them. Has any body tried the old fashion method of hanging soap on a rope around your garden. It doesn't hurt the deers, but tends to make the leery to approach. I have heard English Leather (is it even still around?) worked the best. I kind of think that freshly showered men that go deer hunting probably smell so much like soap that the deer think the smell is actually man and don't approach. Well my suggestion for all it's worth. Where I live in California, we haven't seen any deer around, just the occasional coyote (me personally) and mountain lions (not me personally).

Good luck gardeners, hope to be growing with you back there next year.

Char
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:33 PM

673 posts, read 2,260,596 times
NRG, you have inspired more than a few on this forum.

Here are pictures of the raised flower bed I built and put in my backyard...

Foxglove, Peony, Lantana, some wavy petunias

These blooms belong to a Foxglove

Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,187,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
NRG, you have inspired more than a few on this forum.

Here are pictures of the raised flower bed I built and put in my backyard...
You put me to shame Calvitts!

Impressive!

Thanks for posting those great pictures.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 AM

206 posts, read 595,376 times
Set up my raised bed yesterday. I transplanted my tomatoes into it and have planted some squash and lettuce seeds this morning. I've started some canteloupe indoors and the snow pea seeds are soaking in warm water. I'll be planting those tomorrow.

I think I used too much peat moss. When I water the tomatoes, the water stays on top of the soil for a whiiiile before eventually going down. Here's to hoping I'll be able to report on the status on the squash and lettuce in a positive way by next week!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
I'm not much of a veggie gardener but isn't it a bit too hot to be starting lettuce? I remember lettuce as being a cool spring plant. Somebody set me straight. in any event I admit your enthusiasm. With this heat it is all I can do to deadhead at 6 a,m, and take the garbage to the curb. The neighborhood pool will be full today....

Old 06-26-2009, 01:56 PM

I thought it was pretty late for the lettuce as well, but the seed packet says I can plant it in NC until the end of July so I figured what the heck, what's the worst that can happen....

I'll be starting all of this way earlier next year :-/

Old 06-26-2009, 02:06 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,724,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post
I thought it was pretty late for the lettuce as well, but the seed packet says I can plant it in NC until the end of July so I figured what the heck, what's the worst that can happen....

I'll be starting all of this way earlier next year :-/
I'd love to hear how the lettuce turns out. I believe the heat will make it bitter. Anytime I've grown lettuce when the temps are above 85 it's always been bitter. So I'd love to hear what your results are. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Good luck w/ the garden.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 AM

I've never grown lettuce, so even if it just sprouts and then dies, I'll have done something I haven't before. As for the bitter...nothing you can't fix with plenty of salad dressing!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM

I can see the green beans sprouting!

And the squash has been going nuts. I see little green spots in the soil Tuesday morning. By Tuesday evening, they were half an inch off the ground. Right now, they are a good inch to two inches tall. SO EXCITED.

Potatoes are still eh. No progress.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM

19 posts, read 55,573 times
Thanks NRG! Here's a few pics (hope I post these correctly) of my raised bed project thanks to your inspiration. Two cucumber plants, one squash and four tomatoes along with dill and cilantro have been doing great. Eggplant and peppers are in there somewhere, but they were promptly taken over. Really underestimated the amount of room needed. Basil started off great but I've discovered that lots of things like basil as much as I do. They feasted every night.
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening in Raleigh ~ beat the red clay: Pictures of a raised garden bed project.-img_0276.jpg   Gardening in Raleigh ~ beat the red clay: Pictures of a raised garden bed project.-img_0278.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary