Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 AM

19 posts, read 55,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Have fun trying to keep the bunnies out of your salad bar, NRG!!!!
I've had this problem in the past. First attempt was the plastic netting found at the home improvement centers surrounding my patch. Went out that same night to take a look and there was a rabbit enjoying a great meal. The next morning I found they had chewed holes through the plastic so I repaired the holes with gardening tie material. They just chewed right through it the next night! Second attempt was the 2' metal chicken wire. No problem there the entire season.

I think it really depends on your yard. My yard has a wooded area on one side and no one in our neighborhood has fenced back yards so it's pretty open. We do have Red-Tailed Hawks so maybe that will help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM

280 posts, read 741,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't know too much about rose bushes. Mrs. NRG handles them most of the time. We have had those roses in the same pots for three years now without any problems. I don't know when / if they need to be repotted but you could be right. Usually we just prune them back to 4-5 good canes each year, fertilize a few times and leave them alone. They need to be pruned back right now come to think of it. I really need to learn how to better care for them. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Thank you

Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM

447 posts, read 1,718,376 times
Last night Nightline did a story on the return of the Victory Garden. I thought of this thread, ABC News: Nightline has the video, the title is "Grow Your Own".

It is really sad that HOAs are limiting raised bed gardens

Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM

50 posts, read 140,170 times
Great post. I've been thinking about doing this myself and the pics and instructions are an invaluable help.

I guess my biggest concern is the critters as well. Although it sounds like CTravis above me has a good solution with the chicken wire. I'm more concerned with snakes (I know they don't eat veggies, but they do eat the critters that eat veggies), as the area I am thinking of using is right up against my house. Is that a bad idea putting it next to your house? It probably attracts bugs too, no?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM

176 posts, read 645,575 times
mecha51-

I know that if you plant marigolds around your plants, you'll keep some of the slugs and other critters out since they don't like the smell/taste. I don't know if that'll help with the snakes though!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntchanga View Post
mecha51-

I know that if you plant marigolds around your plants, you'll keep some of the slugs and other critters out since they don't like the smell/taste. I don't know if that'll help with the snakes though!
I've always heard this too. I don't know what truth there is to it, but my mom still surrounds her tomato plants with marigolds like a little orange fortress.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

16 posts, read 39,056 times
Just a few more weeks until the last frost.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
For beginners, I suggest starting out more slowly with container gardening. Start by growing herbs, lettuce, and tomatoes. One advantage of conatiner gardening is that you can line them near the house (assuming you get good sunshine) where bunnies and deer are more apprehensive about venturing, especially if you have sliding glass doors or windows. Also, I would think even the most anal retentive HOAs don't ban container gardening.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM

23 posts, read 80,965 times
Is it really $500 for dirt for a 4x4 garden?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesy View Post
Is it really $500 for dirt for a 4x4 garden?

No. I think the person who mentioned $500 for dirt was talking about a different and much larger raised bed. For my square foot garden I bought four 1 cubic foot bags of compost ($1.58 each) one 3.8 cubic foot of peat moss ($9.98) and two small bags of vermiculite ($3.98 each) I skimpped a little the vermiculite and probably could have gotten a little more but I was on a budget. The total cost of my square foot garden project including the soil, wood, deck screws, and twine cost a little over 50 bucks.

FWIW I would add another $20 to the total cost if you want to make your bed frame out of high quality rot resistant cedar wood and another $15 if you want to use the full amount of vermiculite recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary