Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As far as common sense is concerned I would like to go to victims of Madoff scandal and ask them why did you invest money in this company? Didn't they have common sense to realize that there is something wrong with the company ???????
Yeah, because Madoff approached people in a parking lot convincing them they should invest with a total stranger with no history.

You bought the speakers, didn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
wOw.... It took this long to reach North Carolina. This story is so old up North. My mother in-law got suckered into one of these deals. MTS baby... Anyway. I was in the process of setting up the entertainment system in my house and had encounter a problem with my JBL speakers. I had lost the wall brackets and universal floor stands don't work. My mother in-law who happens to live in my house, walked into our apartment and saw my frustration. She then mentioned about this system she had bought some time back and never bothered using it. Curious to know what she was talking about, I did some researching like I'm sure some of you have done and stumbled upon this scam. I started asking her where she bought these speakers and sure enough, it was out of someones trunk. Seeing how I had nothing to lose, I mounted just the satellite speakers. Too be honest, they won't blow away some higher end system, but they do hold up pretty well with my pioneer 7.1 channel amp and my JBL 12" sub woofer. No way would I vouch for spending a fraction of what these dimwits are asking. However, should you stumble upon these bad boys at a garage sale, I would definitely pick them up.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,792 times
Just no justice in this world. Be fantastic if they pulled up to someone who pulled out a gun and drove off with their van.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
These WHITE vans have been in Michigan for the last 10 years,,the boxes are junk and the speakers are worse..

Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Years ago in another state the local police were alerted to a guy selling watches in a parking lot. He had the watches under his clothes on his arm etc. He was selling them for $10 and letting people know they should keep it quiet where they got them from. Someone alerted the store manager and the police were called. They approached the guy and to their surprise he had a licensed vendor permit and receipts for all of the watches. They were cheap and meant to sell for $10. They were not knock offs and nothing was illegal. He was selling on the power of suggestion that under those circumstances people were ASSUMING the watches were stolen and worth more. He did nothing to suggest that but it was the environment that suggested it. Likewise the guys in the van. It works because people think they are getting something worth a lot more and probably obtained illegally and thus a great buy.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
wOw.... It took this long to reach North Carolina.
Naa, it's been here for years. I've been approached well over 10 years ago with this crap. I think it's only happened twice but I have also seen the van cruising a parking lot before and could instantly spot what was gonna happen if I allowed myself to look even remotely approachable.

To be honest, I don't think it's a "scam" anymore than most of the marketing behind everything else we buy here in America. As bad as these speakers are, they probably perform better than most of the weight-loss supplements Americans spend millions on each year... you know instead of the most effective one which is free (exercise).

Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
Anyone can fall into this kind of fraud and lose money.
No. Most people don't fall for this stuff. I would never fall for this.

Quote:
We are looking for a home theater system and planning to buy in 2-3 weeks. In that situation, if you meet someone who says that he works for an audio video company, you will definitely be curious and see the stuff.
Um, no. I would definitely NOT be curious and see the stuff. It's iditotic to think that some young guys selling stuff from a van at crazy cheap prices could be doing something legal and trustworthy. Don't try to tell us that "anyone" would fall for this. Only the greedy / cheap and those lacking common sense would fall for this.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
At least there was a product. Could have been worse. About 15 years ago in NYC, guys would be selling VCR and Stereo equipment "NEW" in sealed boxes, yeah right! I wonder how many folks shelled over a couple hundred only to get home to find an empty box?!

Can't say that I've never been taken but for many years now its been a rule that I don't buy from people ringing my doorbell (except the girl scouts, of course) or coming up to me on the streets. If its that great of a deal AND on the up and up, they wouldn't need to come find ME!

In the same vain, I don't buy from people that call my house for the same reason. If the deal was so great, they wouldn't need to be cold calling my home (which they shouldn't be doing anyhow since I'm on the do not call list).

To the orig OP, glad you got out of it before it was too late. At the very least, it was a good lesson, heh?

Lauren

Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post

to be honest, i don't think it's a "scam" anymore than most of the marketing behind everything else we buy here in america. As bad as these speakers are, they probably perform better than most of the weight-loss supplements americans spend millions on each year... You know instead of the most effective one which is free (exercise).
:d

Old 02-27-2009, 08:42 AM

144 posts, read 130,880 times
I totally agree. Come on, don't buy things from total strangers in parking lots. Gotta be kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I am always astounded that people will actually stop and talk to someone like this, much less buy crap from a guy in a parking lot! No offense, but why did you talk to him? Why did your husband have to call friends to confirm this is a scam? Why didn't you call the cops??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary