Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 20,122 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I (both 22 years old) are thinking of relocating to the Raleigh area, specifically Cary. We are from central NY and are looking to move down south and be in warmer weather. We are trying to get a better idea of the area and where we would like to live.

We are still in the beginning stages of doing research on the area, but from what we have heard Cary is definitely a hot spot to relocate to. At first we were thinking of the VA Beach area because we would like to be close to the beach, but overall have not heard good things about the area.

Our main concerns is the job market there. Currently my girlfriend is a wedding coordinator, and I am just starting the job search and I have a degree in Business Management. Is there a lot opportunity in Raleigh and Durham? At this point we don't mind entry level jobs to start out, but at this time we don't have jobs lined up (plan on moving south in Nov.)

As far as living goes, we are looking for a one bedroom apartment in the $750 range (not including utilities) in a nice, safe area. After looking online there seems to be a lot of nice apartments in that price range. We aren't concerned about a nightlife, a local bar for us is fine. We just want to be in close proximity to the grocery store, mall, movie theater, restaurants, etc. I've seen there is a lot of lakes in the area, are there any apartments close to the lakes? Also, what is traffic like there?

Obviously what you read about a place online and what it is actually like can be completely different. We plan on visiting the area within the next few months so any opinions, facts, and helpful hints on the different areas and best places to live (including actual names of apartments) are greatly appreciated.

BTW I did live in Mooresville, NC last summer so I am familiar with the Charlotte area.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,743,691 times
Quote:
Our main concerns is the job market there. Currently my girlfriend is a wedding coordinator, and I am just starting the job search and I have a degree in Business Management. Is there a lot opportunity in Raleigh and Durham? At this point we don't mind entry level jobs to start out, but at this time we don't have jobs lined up (plan on moving south in Nov.)
UNQUESTIONABLY don't move until you have a job lined up, and no, it won't be easy. Layoffs are coming in droves here and unemployment is ratcheting up. A wedding coordinator will have a hard time "breaking into" the area, not knowing anything about the churches, available rental halls, etc, though an entry level Business job should come eventually, if you aren't picky about what. But, please don't move here expefcting to snap something up right away; you're dealing not only with thousands of others who have that same idea, but all the newly-unemployed from the past year, all of whom have local networking advantages over you.

Also, November is a bad time of the year for the job market unless you want to do Christmas retail, I think.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM

3,500 posts, read 6,144,282 times
What Francois said! You are wise to be concerned about the job market here. DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB. You might enjoy the warm weather (which, incidentally, gets crazy hot and humid in the summer) when you get here, but you won't be liking it so much when you're living in your car.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 AM

577 posts, read 1,897,185 times
VA Beach has a lower unemployement rate then here... Unemployment Rate: Virginia Beach city, VA, Virginia; Percent; NSA... Right now NC is feeling the backlash from high in migration and will be a hard place to compete for jobs for a while. As young as you both are I would find that place that does not have a bullseye painted on. You could find a uncrowded place with better numbers of jobs that has not yet been exposed. Every thing here is now more expensive more crowded and will only get worse.. Keep in mind NC is now rated the 8th worst state to find a job...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,054,411 times
Let me echo that: DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB. You're also up against all the graduates with business degrees who graduate from local colleges. I don't know what "eventually" means in a previous post. That could mean anything, including, "many years."

I would think wedding coordinators must be hurting from the downturn, too.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 20,122 times
Thank you for the feedback. With that being said about the job market and having jobs lined up before we move down, can I get some feedback on the overall area. Thank you!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,054,411 times
Overall area? The Triangle? It seems it's all been said on this site. Search for related terms, and I'm sure you'll find what you need. It's not easy to put in a paragraph.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 26,750 times
I want to add my very humble 2 cents--- I have recently relocated to this place also. I like it because it seems very suited to raise a family. But the pay rate stinks over here. Rent/house prices are low but apart from that this place is not cheap. We lived in California before and honestly speaking grocery was lot cheaper (1/3rd the local price), gas price -same, car insurance -down by about $100 from California (we have excellent driving records).
Yes we are planning to live over here but that is only because of my children and their schools and my husband is planning to travel if necessary later on while I hold the fort.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM

544 posts, read 849,846 times
Compared to CNY, most things will be more expensive. One notable exception would be property taxes.

The following are “generally speaking” types of observations and comparisons could vary a bit depending on where in CNY you are.

You’ll likely find a larger number of young people here.
You’ll find fewer “neighborhood bars” here, due in part to the alcohol laws.
You can buy wine in a grocery store.
The suburbs here developed in a different era and at different rates, so they dominate the housing stock. If you’re looking for a house that’s been carved up into apartments, you’ll need to look around a bit.
You’ll pay property tax on your vehicle.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you may be surprised at just how hot it gets in the summer.

I grew up in CNY and can give you more if you send me a message.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,546,157 times
Emitchell said it best. Compared to Upstate NY, property taxes and most utilities are cheaper...but pretty much everything else is more expensive. You probably won't miss the Upstate NY winters but you'll DEFINITELY miss the summers and falls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary