Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times

Advertisements

I grew up drinking 'hard' water from a well. Raleigh water doesn't bother me at all. Of course, I think bottled water tastes freaky and only drink it when there is no other option.

Regarding stains, I haven't really seen any. I keep my house and bathrooms clean, touching them up at least once a week. There was a time a few months ago that I started to see faint pink rings in the toilets and around the stoppers on the sinks. Prior to this, I had lived in the same house for over a year without seeing the pink rings. Now they are gone. Not sure what caused it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,514 times
I hear the pizza guys here in Raleigh actually bottle water from NYC and bring it down here to use in the dough. Apparently that is the trick to making good pizza.

Other than that, we have a water filter on our drinking water just to be safe, but I don't know how good or bad it really is.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
Default Sanford's water is good, and in plentiful supply

I'm not sure if this is a Raleigh specific question, but Sanford has very good water, and was/is also in the unique position of having over-provisioned its water supply given the population. During the last drought we were one of the few communities with no water shortages and were sharing water with other communities.

The quality of the water is very good as well.

Our city government just approved another strategic investment in water treatment well beyond our current population needs as well, so we'll hopefully continue to stay ahead of the curve

Al

Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Depends on where you live (even within the same city). I live in NW Raleigh and the water at my house is fine to drink, although i still filter it. I work in SE Raleigh and the water at my office constantly has a yellow tinge to it and on some days comes out brown for a few seconds when you turn it on.

I think the water quality will vary greatly

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
We moved from Pennsylvania coal country, so the water in Cary seems very soft to us.
Saves a ton of $$ on laundry detergent and rinses well.
I find it drinkable, but doesn't have a "bright" taste and clean finish like some spring water I grew up with in very small PA towns.
Overall, very acceptable water supply for us.

Cary disinfects with ammonia/chlorine combination and annually suspends adding the ammonia for the month of March. (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pwdept/waterdisinfect/waterdisinfect02.htm - broken link)

I didn't know about the car washing... But I appreciate the reminder to run mine through a carwash.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
I hear the pizza guys here in Raleigh actually bottle water from NYC and bring it down here to use in the dough. Apparently that is the trick to making good pizza.

Other than that, we have a water filter on our drinking water just to be safe, but I don't know how good or bad it really is.
that applies to wine grapes, french bread, etc, so i guess it might be true...

Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I didn't know about the car washing... But I appreciate the reminder to run mine through a carwash.
MikeJaquish, my husband said if you want to prevent the mineral buildup on your vehicle find a carwash that deionizes the water it uses for the final rinse cycle - some advertise it as spotfree rinse but you need to ask.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 29,415 times
Default OK water

I am a transplant from NY and the water in SE Garner (Johnston County) had me disliking my morning coffee. A talk with the local water expert (self proclaimed) had me on the right track. I couldn't afford the reverse osmosis setup that he suggested, but an under sink cold water filter had me back on track. The water is not bad here, I'm just not used to the flavor. My neighbor developed Rosacea since coming here from PA 6 months ago and swears that the local water promoted the outbreak.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,425 times
Hey

I measure total dissolved solids in Raleigh Water and consistently get a TDS reading between 90-100. This is VERY GOOD. Some municipalities have 500-900 ppm water and well water can be much worse or have other problems.

The red stain is rust and has no connection to water softness (calcium).

Buying a water softener in Raleigh is a waste of money.

If you wish to use an RO system to remove chloramine and the remaining dissolved solids/gases then that makes sense if you are concerned. (the GE Merlin is the best whole house solution and is very affordable for it's rate of flow)

Having lived in CA and tasting their horrible water, Raleigh water is nearly odorless and tasteless in comparison . I wondered when I moved back to Raleigh a year ago why the water didn't smell like I remember it years ago. It was horrible

ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS FOR USING CHLORAMINES IS THAT THEY DO NOT EASILY GAS OUT OF THE WATER, WHICH IS WHY THE WATER SMELLS BETTER (when compared to chlorinated water)! This also means that if you have home kidney dialysis, aquariums/fish, & plants (hydroponic only; soil gardens are not affected) then you HAVE TO FILTER THE CHLORAMINES OUT! Either you, your fish, or your plants may suffer or die!

I didn't realize they switched to chloramines (chlorine and ammonia; they chemically form chloramines) until I researched online.

The other poster is correct that typically in Feb/March they flush the entire system for one month with a lot of chlorine to reduce the residual nitrogen. You will see them flushing the fire hydrants when this happens.

I use a hydrologic system upstairs and will probably get a whole home carbon filtration system.

I would not go with a whole home RO system as they limit flow and need pumps and large reservoirs in order to supply enough water through out the house (usually cold water only).

Since Raleigh TDS is 100ppm or less your getting fairly pure water, much better than most cities.

If your paranoid (like me) and are concerned about drinking cysts (they're in there) and don't like the idea of drinking mystery elements, chlorine/ammonia/fluoride/calcium/minerals/etc - then go with an RO system (fluoride requires an additional filter depending on the amount and your RO systems)

Miscellaneous: MYTH: Drinking RO or DISTILLED water causes your body to leech minerals. This is false. You absorb minerals in food (chelated) and possibly a minute amount in water. Most of what is in the municipal water is not in an absorbable chelated form that the body can use.

however, DEIONIZED water is caustic to living organisms and should not be used as drinking water.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-11-2009 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: No recommendations from members with fewer than 10 posts.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:36 PM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I'm in Cary so naturally my water is beige/tan. :wink:

Seriously, I filter my drinking water and I have one of those PUR pitchers, so my drinking/cooking water tastes great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary