U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 20,600 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to area in aug. 2009, with my husband and 3 children under 6. We have visted the area a couple of times and have narrowed down our home choices to harington grove, falls river, and wakefield plantations. With 3 small kids who are very involved in activities such as dance, football, baseball, soccer, swim, etc. plus school. Which one of theses areas is in a good center location to finding the things i need. I dont want to be spending half of my day driving all over raleigh. Commute time to work is not a problem we both work from home. We just want nice kid friendly area were things are close, Not having to drive to far to anything is the key. Any opinions from anyone who lives in these areas is very helpful to our search. Maybe some parents who really know the kids activity places. thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM

164 posts, read 401,163 times
I would suggest Bedford. Wakefield and Bedford are only a couple miles away from each other so either way you'll have the same things close by. Bedford has also just completed a shopping area inside the development.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 17,613 times
I would have to say Falls River. I did like the location of Harrington Grove, however I couldn't deal with being in the flight path of the airport. It really isn't that bad, however it did bug me every once in a while. Wakefield, is nice but I think it is just a little to far north. Falls River is great, it has some houses with nice size lots, a nice new park, close to everything, and is about to be back up on a county park, and a nice long trail which will parallel the river and lead to falls lake. Also, really kid friendly, with a lot of young kids in the neighborhood. What is better than that? So out of those 3, you can't go wrong with Falls River.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,407,307 times
I don't know anything about Harrington Grove so I'll just comment on the other 3 that were mentioned above...

All 3 are located close by so in terms of nearby stores, restaurants, etc. there really is not much of a difference (although Wakefield is a little closer to the YMCA and the Factory). Falls River and Bedford have sidewalks on all sides. Wakefield does not. This sometimes can make a big difference for parents with young children (walking with strollers, kids going to the park or walking to friends as they get older). For some it's not an issue.

Wakefield does not have the "pocket" parks that Falls and Bedford have. I actually see and know of Wakefield residents with young children that come to the Bedford parks so they can play.

You must pay extra for clubhouse/pool privileges at Falls and Wakefield. Bedford provides this under their normal monthly dues of $60/mo.

On your next visit I would suggest just taking a little time driving through these subdivisions, maybe even stop and get out and walk around or stop at one of the parks. If you do that I think you will know which one is right for you and your family. All 3 are really beautiful neighborhoods. I actually chose Bedford. If my children were young I would personally choose Bedford again or Falls River. I see more young children in these communities out playing than when I'm in Wakefield. I also know that Falls and Bedford have many community events for children and families. Here in Bedford we have Easter egg hunts, pancakes with Santa, parades where the kids dress up their bikes, wagons and strollers, concerts by clock tower with activities for the kids, cocoa at the tower on Halloween, and so much more. I'm sure other communities have activities as well....but just wanted to share what goes on here.

Wishing you luck on your home search!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 AM

2,835 posts, read 6,948,184 times
I don't know zip about Harrington Grove so I will not have an opinion or a fact on that sub but can comment on Falls River / Bedford / Wakefield.

Quick comments:

Falls River. Nice, great location, never really figured out the difference between Falls River and Bedford. That being from a casual drive through and look around kind of observer.

Bedford. Very nice place. The grounds are the best of the three along with the parks. Pool tends to be over crowded being there is only 1 and they keep adding more Bedford Homes Owners. Builders do a very nice job of keeping the homes different but they are very close together. IMO is like having a Condo with a layer of air between the homes instead of a Condo where the walls are physically connected.

Wakefield. Convenience and location to things like in your case the YMCA high marks. For the home styles, grounds, types of neighborhoods IMO average. To me nothing says I over paid for my house than a full brick front and hardey plank sides and back walls. Cheesy IMHO. Of the 3 I mentioned Wakefield is over priced but they do have a very nice Golf Coarse but the home owners pay the premium for it.
They are also building Rt 98 Bypass on the North side of Wakefield which means more traffic noise and the road is really close to some of the Wakefield neighborhoods.

If you are really looking for a nice place and this is ONLY MY OPINION you may want to check out Heritage @ Wake Forest. I rate them from a grounds perspective like a Bedford except one has more choice in Heritage than Bedford for home styles, prices, and available lot sizes. Plus Heritage is still building out where as Bedford is about done in other words rose their mast few 2x4's.

So good luck on your choice and narrowing it down to three may narrow the chances of finding the right sub for your family! There are many many many sub's in N.Raleigh & Wake Field that are similar to the ones you mentioned and some even better IMHO.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM

2,570 posts, read 8,614,765 times
Previous posters have really given you a good sense of the communities already. I'm a former Falls River resident and we loved it! It is the perfect place to live with young children. One of the biggest differences you'll find between Falls River and Bedford (aside from the pool situation) is that Falls River has larger lots and many more trees than Bedford. We were always out hanging out w/ neighbors in the front yard while the kids played...can't beat it!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 PM

12,470 posts, read 30,503,670 times
I have clients that live in all 3 n'hoods and always are happy with their decisions.

Harrington Grove is an older n'hood. Built by Centex, when they were called Crosland. There is a pool that you can join. It is not included in your HOA dues. You are very close to the airport so you will have some airport noise. It doesn't seem to bother residents.

Falls River USED to have the landfill but it is being turned into a park so there isn't anything bad that anyone can say about Falls River anymore! Lots of sidewalks and parks. Pool isn't mandatory but you can join.

Bedford is built by same builders as Falls River. They just kept building and I don't know WHY but they will change the name of a neighborhood just to confuse everyone! You pay for the pool in Bedford as part of your HOA dues. YOu do not have a choice.

Wakefield is very spread out. YOu pay to join the pool or the golf or the clubhouse. Many sections of Wakefield. Even though the schools are called Wakefield Elem., W. Middle and W. High, your kids will not automatically go to these schools. There are NO n'hood schools in Wake County.

If you like these n'hoods, you may want to check out Heritage in Wake Forest. Very much like Falls River/Bedford. Pool is optional...they now have 2.

You can't go wrong with any of these. It becomes a personal choice, based on the neighborhood and the house. Alot of great options!

Vicki

Old 02-28-2009, 12:31 AM

5,562 posts, read 3,649,168 times
Be very careful.

I saw a local news clip a few nights ago about a couple who had purchased a home in Bedford just a couple or three years ago. They have now lost tens of thousands on their home's value. They are not, fortunately, having to sell their home.

According to what they reported, the builder has slashed thousands from the new-home prices, leaving them under water, compared to what they originally paid.

Also, there are many empty lots left to be built upon. If anyone in the neighborhood is selling, they're in compitition with new construction which is readily available. Bad scenario.

If I were moving to the Raleigh area at this time, I would be looking in well-established neighborhoods, with larger lots, mature landscaping, large trees, with no new subdivisions being built within at least a five-mile radius. Land/home values are appreciating inside the two beltlines, in North Raleigh, especially west of Six Forks Road.

There are detailed real estate valuations published monthly which are available to realtors, from what I understand. Or at least periodical publications. They can give you advice as to specific neighborhoods'
appreciation values from 2008. Older neighborhoods are evidently gaining in value more rapidly than some newer.

best,
toodie

Old 02-28-2009, 06:39 AM

9,758 posts, read 28,713,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Also, there are many empty lots left to be built upon. If anyone in the neighborhood is selling, they're in compitition with new construction which is readily available.
I don't think this statement is accurate.There are several different sections to Bedford with different styles / sizes of homes from different builders. While it is true some of the latest section still have available lots many of the older sections of bedford with different styles of homes are completely built out. Ultimately I don't see the risk of price devaluation being any greater in Bedford than in Wakefiled, Falls River, or Harrington Grove.

FWIW, I see tons of kids and families in both Falls River and Bedford. Both would be great choices IMHO. I also agree with others who suggest you check out Heritage too. Good Luck!

Some Links to Pictures:

Bedford "Spring Fling" Event

Bedford Homes

More Bedford Neighborhood Pics

Falls River (Courtesy of city-data member Gastric)

Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM

255 posts, read 509,570 times
I live in the Enclave at Falls River. (basically, the poor red-headed step children of Bedford) We are right at the "mouth" of Bedford and have a light to turn left on Falls of Neuse.... VERY important! Also, we have slightly larger lots here, which was very important to us since we have dogs.

We really love it here. We can get to the Wakefield/Wake Forest area very quickly as well as anywhere further into town. It's convenient to everything. The schools are good too... even with the current redistricting.

My daughter goes to a really fantastic dance studio in Wake Forest, and it only takes us 15 minutes to get there. (GREAT studio... and offers fantastic summer camps that are really camps and not daycare)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary