Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshill View Post
or Morrisville that are hardiplank siding, have a decent lot size (like .2 or .3), and are priced around 280-375?
rmshill,

I felt bad I'd posted twice to this thread and haven't really provided any info that relates to your original question. So I did quick search given your criteria and found the following neighborhoods.

Morrisville
Addison Park

Cary
West Lake, Stonecrest

Apex
Whitehall Manor

I'm sure there are other neighborhoods that fit your criteria and a realtor can help you out there. I didn't do anything too special to create the list above. I just used HPW's advanced search feature on:

- Cary, Apex, Morrisville
- Exterior = Fiber Cement
- Age <= 1
- Price >=275k, <=375k

http://www.hpw.com/SearchPages/doSearch.aspx?Category=City (broken link)

Try it for yourself. Unfortunately - it doesn't give enough options to narrow down lot size - so you'll have to click into the results.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 43,573 times
rmshill: A few neighborhoods in that price range in Morrisville/Cary have Hardiplank...what size home are you looking for? Twin Lakes (KB Home's Marth Stewart neighborhood) does have Hardiplank, although the lots are mostly under .2. Also, Kitts Creek has some really unique homes with character and they are all Hardiplank, no wood trim whatsoever. Lots of great standard features that are normally upgrades for other builders. The downside is that the lots are TINY!! But there is a very nice pool, clubhouse, and playground. If you have other questions feel free to PM me.

iamweasel: There is a huge difference between Hardiplank and Hardboard/Masonite. Durant Trace homes would be Hardboard/Masonite, which is a nightmare for upkeep. If it is not continually painted, caulked and sealed, water wicks up under and behind it and it rots like crazy. There was a class action lawsuit regarding this type of siding. It is no longer used for new homes.

Hardiplank on the other hand is a fiber cement product that has a "wood-look" and is guaranteed for up to 50 years. It is generally considered to be a higher end product than vinyl, even though it needs to be painted.

Hope this helps!

Heather

Old 03-21-2007, 07:33 AM

250 posts, read 1,245,634 times
I just did a quick search of MLS and the following new home communities popped up in your price range with .2-.3 acre lots:
Stonecrest in Cary, Addison Park, Morrisville, West Lake, Cary, and Whitehall, Apex. There may be others that are directly marketed by the builders that I am unaware of. I believe all these folks build with hardiplank (aka fiber cement).

Sorry I see that bta beat me to it. I also use the hpw site alot--very good search function.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:44 AM

15 posts, read 59,106 times
rmshill-if you are interested in a resale (approx. age ~4 yrs),I getting ready to list my house in Apex that 4 bedrooms plus a bonus with unfinished basement, finished 3rd floor and it has hardiplank siding. My previous home had vinyl siding and no you never have to paint, but it fades! Then you are stuck having to replace it. When we sold it after 7 years, the siding was 2 shades lighter than we when we bought it.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
"Hardiplank on the other hand is a fiber cement product that has a "wood-look" and is guaranteed for up to 50 years. It is generally considered to be a higher end product than vinyl, even though it needs to be painted. "

I know a very successful agent who teaches CMA classes and puts Vinyl on a par with brick, due to low cost of maintenance.
HardiPlank is an expensive choice for siding. Top quality vinyl is greatly superior, but the market fad is Hardie.
"Fad" equals paying more, both entry level and maintenance, for less performance.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Hardiplank on the other hand is a fiber cement product that has a "wood-look" and is guaranteed for up to 50 years. It is generally considered to be a higher end product than vinyl, even though it needs to be painted. "

I know a very successful agent who teaches CMA classes and puts Vinyl on a par with brick, due to low cost of maintenance.
HardiPlank is an expensive choice for siding. Top quality vinyl is greatly superior, but the market fad is Hardie.
"Fad" equals paying more, both entry level and maintenance, for less performance.
I'm going to need some pictures or neighborhoods to visit before I believe this. I've never seen vinyl that looks as good as wood or fiber cement.

I also believe that most home buyers are not informed enough to request fiber cement. Therefore if a builder could get as close to the look of wood by using vinyl over fiber cement, they would. They'd love to save the money.

And even if top quality vinyl looks as good as fiber cement, it's still not as fire resistant. And if you ever do want to change your house color, it's going to be much harder to paint vinyl siding when compared to fiber cement.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 PM

106 posts, read 403,355 times
mel1966,

what subdivision is your house located in? I know the area well.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
BTA,
If I can get some sun, I will get photos. Then maybe I will be able to figure out how to post them here.

It is much easier to come up with photos of fiber cement that looks pitiful than it is to get photos of top end vinyl like the CraneBoard D7 in new construction. I only see the Craneboard on residing jobs where folks allow contractors to lay it over old hardboard. It performs well there, and looks great, and that is under adverse installation circumstances.

Whole neighborhoods will be harder to find.
Builders won't push Craneboard because, as you note, the buying public won't pay. They won't pay extra for something when they can't discern superficial differences.
Builders will not invest $$$$$ to educate people as to the non-utility of faddish and very profitable products.
To wit... Vessel vanities. Pure genius from a marketing standpoint.

FWIW, customer indecisiveness in color selection is not a function of quality and performance of the siding product.
Also, I don't consider vinyl to be flammable, or incendiary, so I don't worry about fire. But I will grant you, that folks who like to be able to pass the salt to their neighbors may do well to consider fire resistance.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,929 times
hi! Current neighborhoods in Cary/Apex area offering homes with Hardiplank sidings are :

1. Olde Carpenter - Cary/Morrisville (Toll Brothers)
2. Green Level Crossing - Cary (Toll Brothers)
3. Woods at Sunset Oaks -Holly Springs (John Weiland Homes)
4. Bishop's Gate - Cary (Centex Homes)

and many upcoming neighborhoods who may offer hardiplank siding as an upgrade option.

I'm a Realtor. Call me ifyou would like to get more information and look around for your new abode!

Ruby (Broker)
Real Triangle Properties
919-623-2211

Old 04-13-2007, 03:02 PM

38 posts, read 154,940 times
Smile Homes what's out there

A couple of subdivisions that have the .2-.3 acre lots & fiber cement siding for under 375K are: Scotts Mill in Apex and Trinity Grove in Cary. There are others out there as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary