Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:33 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times

Advertisements

Nothing quite like seeing it all for yourself but for those unable to do so, here are some of my impressions of the above areas.

The area is already SO beautiful b/c of all the evergreens, and some of the trees and plants are starting to flower There are pretty little brown creeks all over. Even the interstates are scenic, thicky lined with trees.

On Saturday we looked at homes in SW Durham, SE Chapel Hill, and Hillsborough (my husband's job is going to be in North Chapel Hill so these were our attempts to find a home close to work).

SW Durham had lots of very pretty communities, with trees everywhere. Lots of newer strip malls. It looked like typical suburbia, but with an above average # of trees. I STILL haven't seen Streets at Southpoint (http://www.streetsatsouthpoint.com) but have heard so many good things about the shopping and fun things they have for kids. We drove right by it but there was a huge vat of trees between us and the mall so we couldn't see it SE Chapel Hill looked exactly the same as SW Durham. Trees galore. Peaceful suburbia

Hillsborough has some interesting shopping on it's main highway. The tourist trap area is just a tiny bit hokey (scary!) But the southern downtown area is very beautiful with adorable shops and cute/quaint historic buildings and homes. We went to the Burkes Meadow neighborhood again. VERY peaceful and quiet. Almost TOO quiet We kept looking around saying, WHERE is everyone? There were some twilight zone comments. Definitely the place to go if you seek nature and tranquility But it took us 30 mins to get there from the Southpoint area so traditional shopping would be quite a trek. There's also the Northgate Mall 20 mins away, but from what I hear, it's worth the extra drive to get to Southpoint.

Apex I also commented on last week. Very pretty, lots of trees everywhere (the city has reqs about trees being left up). The shopping area at the corner of 55 and 64 is veeeeeeery nice. Lots of it, great chains as well as some local shops. We sa a lot of very nice subdivisions. One of our favorites was just SW of near the intersection of 55 and 64 and had lots of custom built homes. There are four subdivisions there that run into each other. Very pretty area, but a bit hilly so some homes have yards and some have cliff

We didn't actually look at homes in Raleigh but did drive quite a bit around the northern areas (ITB and just above the beltline). Same as everywhere else in the triangle - tons of trees, beautiful We had dinner at Crabtree Mall, which is enormous. I'll definitely be checking it out in the future. Can you tell I love to shop?

We were priced out of Cary for the amount of square footage we wanted for our $$$ so we just zipped on through to Morrisville. There we saw new strip malls going up EVERYWHERE (much like in Holly Springs). Morrisville didn't seem quite as treed as other areas. Do they not have the same kind of leave-the-trees-up ordinances as other triangle cities? Speaking of...we went to see a house in Twin Lakes. Very barren looking (< trees) compared to other subdivisions. We didn't like it at all. The houses did not flow well together. There were ranches intermingled with two story homes and it looked really awkward. Also, the homes were so close together. I'm in a townhouse now and don't mind having a neighbor right next door. But I wouldn't want to look out my window and see right into my neighbor's living room Or even worse, their bedroom

A note on the airplanes in Morrisville - I'm going to chime in with those who think the airplane noise is not a big deal. From what I'd read before I'd imagined the planes roaring a few feet overhead I can understand that some are more sensitive to noise than others, but I think the average person would be fine. I'm near an airport now where I live and I think it's neat to see and hear the airplanes flying overhead There goes one now!

My husband and I each had a favorite home in SW Durham, and by Saturday night we had done such a good job defending our favorites that we switched But we wanted to give homes in the Apex-Cary-Morrisville a chance since although they would be a longer commute, the schools were better rated and we'd be closer to extended family (in Apex).

We tried to put in an offer on a home in Apex that we loved but it turned out it had sold on Friday and the real estate agent had "forgotten" to note it as such in the mls. She offered to let us put in a back up offer

So we went to look at our SW Durham favorites again. They were both really really really nice homes but we decided to put in an offer on my original favorite which was 5 years newer and more glamorous looking inside, but after the agent called to notify the listing agent the offer was coming, the decision started to feel WRONG WRONG WRONG. I eventually explained how I was feeling to my husband, and what it was that made his original favorite feel like home, and he immediately agreed it was a better choice for us. It had one more bedroom (we have four children) and a MUCH MUCH larger yard. While it was not as glamorous looking inside, it felt more cozy than showcase We put an offer in a few hours ago so cross your fingers for us I've looked into the elementary school my children would go to (Hope Valley Elementary) and am very happy with what I've read. But I just know my husband's grandma will faint when she hears we're trying to buy in DURHAM

I'm starting to feel really sad about leaving my best friend here, but am looking forward to finally owning our own home and living in the triangle area

PS. If anyone wants a referral to an exclusively buyer's agent who is the perfect mix of knowledgeable, patient, committed, candid, and fun to view houses with, PM me

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited by Indigoblue; 03-20-2007 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 05:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
great post! We will be there in less than two weeks (to live, not just to look)! Can't wait. Thanks to everyone on this board who give us so much valuable info! I love trees!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Glad you're coming to the area, and welcome! With all the new city-data'ites moving here, we need to have an all-forum night out at a Bulls game sometime this summer. :-)

Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
I've looked into the elementary school my children would go to (Hope Valley Elementary) and am very happy with what I've read. But I just know my husband's grandma will faint when she hears we're trying to buy in DURHAM
Loved your post and descriptions! Thanks for sharing. BTW.. if you have any photos from your trip I'd love it if you posted them... especially the areas you were looking at buying into. We too are hoping to move to SW Durham (Creekside or Hope Valley Elem) area. Maybe we'll be neighbors or PTA parents at Hope Valley.

We're not moving until the end of the school year. My hubby was out in Durham last week ... looked at homes that area. We're listing our Portland house in April so we won't be ready to buy until the summer.

I got a chuckle about your comment about your husband's grandma fainting about you moving to Durham. When I told my Dad we were moving to Durham he was quiet for a while and then said "at least it's closer to home than Portland." LOL!

While you were in Durham did you visit Hope Valley Elem and Creekside? I'd love to hear your comments on the two. I'm planning to visit in May to check out schools.

Good luck with getting the house and settling into a new neighborhood! And keep us updated about your home purchase! I hope it all works out for your family! Take Care!!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Apex I also commented on last week. Very pretty, lots of trees everywhere (the city has reqs about trees being left up). The shopping area at the corner of 55 and 64 is veeeeeeery nice. Lots of it, great chains as well as some local shops. We sa a lot of very nice subdivisions. One of our favorites was just SW of near the intersection of 55 and 64 and had lots of custom built homes. There are four subdivisions there that run into each other. Very pretty area, but a bit hilly so some homes have yards and some have cliff

Haha....the shopping center you are referring to...beaver creak commons by chance? That place is still 75% unoccupied, what great chains and local shops are you referring to....there's a movie theatre, 2 restaruants, circut city, old navy, boarders, and circuti city (for anyone who has never seen this place, yes those are good chans and quite a large collection of them for one place, but beaver creek is huge....like Apex's answer to Crossroads or Briar Creek).

Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
Thanks for the well wishes all

iminformed - Yes it's beaver creek I'm referring to. Circuit City, Old Navy, and Borders alone are enough to make me excited, but I'm aware of all of the additional shopping they are going to be putting in (which I wrote about in my previous wknd recap post), and saw many many stores right across the street. Maybe all the shopping on the east side of 55 isn't part of the same complex, but being from out of state I'm obviously not as well informed as you

Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,573 times
Congratulations! Keep us posted. Seems like forever till I'll be in your shoes...

Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 AM

15 posts, read 59,118 times
Indigoblue-If the house falls through in Durham, I have a house that I getting ready to put on the market next week in Apex. It has about 3400 sq feet with an unfinished basement, 4 bedrooms plus a bonus and the 3rd floor is finished also. We hate leave Apex, we are so sad!! We love our neighbors, our house and especially the good friends that we have made here. It is very close community! Good luck with the house!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Great post!

Love to shop, huh?
Next time you venture out to Raleigh, check out Triangle Town Center...its alot newer than Southpoint and it has some great shopping to boot!

Take the kids to Frankie's (near the airport in Raleigh) www.frankiesfunpark.com
They will love it!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Great post!

Love to shop, huh?
Next time you venture out to Raleigh, check out Triangle Town Center...its alot newer than Southpoint and it has some great shopping to boot!

Take the kids to Frankie's (near the airport in Raleigh) www.frankiesfunpark.com
They will love it!
Triangle Town Center and Streets at Southpoint opened within 4 months of each other in 2002.....both are approximately the same size

Having been to both, subjectively, I think Southpoint is much nicer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary