Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 AM

55 posts, read 232,754 times

Advertisements

My Grandma just came to visit me here in January and she came by train, On her ride she noticed (i think) the aberdeen area. She said it looked like a quaint little town with little shops to visit. Well she is coming back in April and wants to visit ... Can anyone tell me about the area whats around, Shopping, restaurants..etc...Is it worth the visit????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM

94 posts, read 433,578 times
I don't know about Aberdeen, but I went to Selma, NC - it is about 1 hour from the Cary area. It was very quaint with lots of little shops. I recommend it!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
I like that area a lot. Southern Pines (just north of Aberdeen) has a very quaint downtown, and Cameron, NC...north of Vass and Southern Pines has several antique shops. You could make a day out of it. Takes me 50 minutes to get to So. Pines from Holly Springs. Take US-1 South...watch your speed...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
The "Sandhills" area, which includes Aberdeen (as well as Southern Pines, Pinehurst, etc) is not, to my knowledge, known as a big "antiques" area (as opposed to, say, Selma as mentioned above). The whole region is a big golfing and retirement region, with Pinehurst being the "jewel in the crown" but other areas down there all having lots of retirees. I suppose that, due to this population, there might have sprung up some antique places (people moving here, downsizing (or dying) and there being antiques left over to sell, but Aberdeen is among the more blue collar of the Sandhills towns; I can't think of anything it's specifically "known for".

Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 PM

55 posts, read 232,754 times
Thanks for the info, She was on the train so she wasnt that positive of the town but thought it was around the area, I will look into Selma. Any other suggestions for nice day trips with grandma, She is younger and in shape bikes alot so she can handle a good day of walking..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary