Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,326 times

Advertisements

Natives: What has improved with growth in the Triangle?

What do you think of RTP? What do you think of the diversity (Northerners, Californians, Mexicans, Indians, etc)? Is there a chain (gasp) that has made it's way to the Triangle that you enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,826,711 times
More stores. I'm a native of Indian descent so its cool seeing more come here, but now I don't know anyone b/c there are so many new ones.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
I'd say just the plethora of shopping and diverse dining options. I can't really think of a specific new chain that has me all excited though. I thought I'd be "into" Trader Joes when it came here, but I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,150,426 times
I grew up here, moved away, and came back.

One of the things I enjoy is the ethnic stores. When I was a kid we had to buy Old El Paso tortillas in a can, and while I know some of the Californian and Texan immigrants still don't think our Mexican food is that great, I still think it is WAY better than it was. We also have a great selection of Asian and Indian groceries and restaurants that we didn't have before.

The other thing that I really noticed coming back is the greenways. The greenway system has improved a lot in the last 15-20 years.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Grew up in Eastern NC, moved away for 20 years, ended up in Durham. The ease at which one can get from the Triangle to the coast has GREATLY improved. But the trip is not nearly as interesting. You use to spend alot of time behind tractors and pass a lot of cotton, soy bean, and "baccer" fields. Now it's a tunnel of pine trees that fly by at 80 mph... um I mean 70 mph. I miss the mom & pop stores w/ Sundrop in a bottle. But I love that I don't spend all day in the car.... especially now that I have kids in the car with me.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM

130 posts, read 390,862 times
We reached crital mass ca. 1985 It's been down hill since.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,768 times
Better:
  • Homes
  • Dining
  • Shopping
  • Planning in development
  • Balanced industry
This place is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 PM

130 posts, read 390,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Better:
  • Homes
  • Dining
  • Shopping
  • Planning in development
  • Balanced industry
This place is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I agree....

Now stop waterboarding me, please.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,050,183 times
Default reply

Charlton- You are no native. Native means born here. I will not comment on the question. Most on this board have no earthly what this place was like in 1968 or 75 or 87 etc. I will be glad to tell you.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
I can only speak for the last 35 years....
  • Cultural Diversity
  • Public Education (measured performance)
  • Shopping/Store Choices
  • Job Opportunities
  • Adult education attainment
  • "Inside the Beltline" (becomes more desirable as time goes by)
  • Similarly to above: Historic neighborhood preservation
  • Museums
  • Performing Arts
  • Restaurants
  • RDU Airport (was pretty much nothing 35 years ago)
  • Access by car (actually connected to the Interstate System)
  • Public entertainment venues (stadiums, arenas, concert venues, etc.)
  • Hotels
  • Access to the beach! (okay...so it's similar to "Access by car")
  • Parks and Recreation (greenways, city parks, city pools, programs, etc.)
  • Housing choices beyond just single family homes and apartments
  • Access to "Lakes" ....Falls Lake and Jordan Lake in particular (man made since then)
  • Hospitals

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. A lot has improved but it's always a give and take when it comes to "improvement".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary