Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,671 times

Advertisements

Do you feel the teacher union in this state help teachers at all? It will be interesting to see what happens with NCLB since Obama took office. What are you referring to when you say 2012?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeducator View Post
Do you feel the teacher union in this state help teachers at all? It will be interesting to see what happens with NCLB since Obama took office. What are you referring to when you say 2012?
No teacher's union per NC law.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
No teacher's union per NC law.
If the law was ever changed and teachers formed a union, all it means is much higher property taxes. That is it! Education would not improve.

I like non-union states myself, but do think SOME teachers need better employment protection. You may begin to see many new educators taken advantage of due to the current economic situation. I hear many will be continuously offered 1 year terms, over and over. I think this is morally wrong. If someone did a great job and you want them back, tear up the one year deal and offer them a position. Just my opinion.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 AM

114 posts, read 326,977 times
Default Other Possible ways to save money for Wake County Schools

Why is there no talk of sports programs possibly being reduced or cut, or an activity fee for sports being set up.

How about central office positions cut or administrators, or the busing of students all over the county possibly changed. I just wonder why teachers are the first thing to be cut when they have the most important job in a school, which is working with the students on a daily basis.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techshuffle View Post
Why is there no talk of sports programs possibly being reduced or cut, or an activity fee for sports being set up.

How about central office positions cut or administrators, or the busing of students all over the county possibly changed. I just wonder why teachers are the first thing to be cut when they have the most important job in a school, which is working with the students on a daily basis.
Ending diversity busing would sure save diesel fuel and bus maintenance.

It is time to end this stupid program. Go to school where you live and be able to hang with your classmates after school.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techshuffle View Post

I agree 100%!

They never cut administrators, or their pay and benefits. This discussion shifted to special education a while back when someone suggested, this would be one of the first things to get cut. It pisssed me off to no end. Why does the football team (and I love football) get to stay intact and little Sally Sue, who has special needs have to loose her teacher? Why does an administrator who called in sick 32 times in a single year, was appointed under a quota and has a horrible record with staff and parents get to keep her $68,000 yearly job, when some outstanding new teacher, gets fired, that makes less then half this amount and improves the lives of dozens of students?

There are lot of ways the county could make up for the short budget, without firing teachers. But this requires thought and planing. It is much simpler to assign a number to a dedicated person, (teacher) and just wipe them off the books without a thought or care.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeducator View Post
North Carolina is a non union state. Under NCLB by the end of the 2012-13 school year all states and schools need to meet standard or lose federal funding. That is the big dagger over all of it.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Ending diversity busing would sure save diesel fuel and bus maintenance.

It is time to end this stupid program. Go to school where you live and be able to hang with your classmates after school.
Quoted for truth.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:16 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Quoted for truth.
While it is all a pain now and a considerable expense. It may just may have merit if NCLB is left to play out.

http://www.wcpss.net/history/index.html
The Wake County Public School System's long-standing tradition of excellence began as a result of a trend that affected many U.S. cities three decades ago. As Raleigh's urban area declined in the early 1970's, families migrated to the area's increasingly affluent suburbs resulting in the closing of several downtown schools. The community was divided, and leaders sought long-term solutions to educational and economic challenges that inhibited Wake County's progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary