Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times

Advertisements

The media loves to stir the pot, to create tension where there is none, or to create more where there is some.
Visit the malls, walk the neighborhoods. You will see the truth. You will see intergration in the schools, restaurants, and parks. You will see more harmony than on Long Island, that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 12:01 AM

132 posts, read 444,981 times
Thanks for your replies. I currently live in the San Francisco Bay area and it is a little too liberal for me - I'm sure you can just imagine the protests they have here every week. Looking for a little more conservative area and that pretty much encompasses anywhere else in the US.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
I was talking with a friend and they told me that there is quite a bit of racial tension in the Raleigh/Durham. Especially after the Duke LaCrosse Players incident (whatever happened to that?)
North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper dropped all charges today against the three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexually assaulting stripper, Crystal Gail Mangum at a party, saying the university student athletes were innocent victims of a "tragic rush to accuse" by Michael Nifong, the Durham County district attorney.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-11-2007 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 AM

359 posts, read 1,838,381 times
BCR, I just now saw your reply. Yes, that is exactly what I meant. In southern Va, there is an undiscussed rule of social class, old money, etc. It was very present when I was growing up- who lived where, which family belonged to which golf club, etc. I love Va and always will, but there is a freedom from that social atmosphere that I have experienced in the midwest. And while I really want to live near my family again, I don't want to live in that kind of social environment. Nor do I want that for my kids.
Durham, Raleigh, and the surrounding area in general seem to be more like the midwest than the old south. And I sure hope folks know I mean that as a compliment.

Either way, we're about to find out in 8 days and counting....

P.S. My sister lives in Richmond. It is coming along

Old 04-12-2007, 04:57 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmflan View Post
BCR, I just now saw your reply. Yes, that is exactly what I meant. In southern Va, there is an undiscussed rule of social class, old money, etc. It was very present when I was growing up- who lived where, which family belonged to which golf club, etc. I love Va and always will, but there is a freedom from that social atmosphere that I have experienced in the midwest. And while I really want to live near my family again, I don't want to live in that kind of social environment. Nor do I want that for my kids.
Durham, Raleigh, and the surrounding area in general seem to be more like the midwest than the old south. And I sure hope folks know I mean that as a compliment.

Either way, we're about to find out in 8 days and counting....

P.S. My sister lives in Richmond. It is coming along
It's exciting to be so close to getting here! Glad we'll have you as a new member of the Triangle community.

Glad to hear Richmond is making some progress. I'd heard the same thing from others, too, recently. I need to get up there and see the Canal Walk, Shockhoe Bottom, etc. again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary