Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant of only a little over a year and don't profess to know North Carolina politics or the budget process. I got involved in a related thread on possible teacher layoffs in Wake County and found the following in doing my research. The information was surprising to me and very different than what is happening elsewhere. I was to first find out that there are still major questions about school budget funding in Wake next year since the stimulus has been approved. I am now beginning to wonder/see why. I am a transplant and make no value judgments on the state process but feel it is worth sharing for others to comment on. I will react to comments but not start them.
Longtime administrator holds purse strings to N.C.'s stimulus promise (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/feb/22/longtime-administrator-holds-purse-strings-to-the-/news/ - broken link)
Benton, who was tapped by Gov. Bev Perdue last week to handle the distribution of federal stimulus money in North Carolina, has spent his entire career managing money and supervising government programs.

"The governor has tasked him with making sure this federal stimulus money is put to work for North Carolina as quickly as possible and with as much accountability as possible," said Chrissy Pearson, Perdue's press secretary.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 AM

20 posts, read 88,280 times
All the lazy people will get in one big line and wait for a $5 handout for their vote last November. You are welcome.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc007dt View Post
All the lazy people will get in one big line and wait for a $5 handout for their vote last November. You are welcome.
^ this

Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 AM

584 posts, read 2,424,076 times
ha!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 AM

494 posts, read 1,389,044 times
[quote=TuborgP;7755998]I am a transplant of only a little over a year and don't profess to know North Carolina politics or the budget process. I got involved in a related thread on possible teacher layoffs in Wake County and found the following in doing my research. The information was surprising to me and very different than what is happening elsewhere. I was to first find out that there are still major questions about school budget funding in Wake next year since the stimulus has been approved. I am now beginning to wonder/see why. I am a transplant and make no value judgments on the state process but feel it is worth sharing for others to comment on. I will react to comments but not start them.
Longtime administrator holds purse strings to N.C.'s stimulus promise (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/feb/22/longtime-administrator-holds-purse-strings-to-the-/news/ - broken link)
Benton, who was tapped by Gov. Bev Perdue last week to handle the distribution of federal stimulus money in North Carolina, has spent his entire career managing money and supervising government programs.

"The governor has tasked him with making sure this federal stimulus money is put to work for North Carolina as quickly as possible and with as much accountability as possible," said Chrissy Pearson, Perdue's press secretary.[/QU I actually think most of it is going to medicaid.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 AM

[quote=samdan;7760212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am a transplant of only a little over a year and don't profess to know North Carolina politics or the budget process. I got involved in a related thread on possible teacher layoffs in Wake County and found the following in doing my research. The information was surprising to me and very different than what is happening elsewhere. I was to first find out that there are still major questions about school budget funding in Wake next year since the stimulus has been approved. I am now beginning to wonder/see why. I am a transplant and make no value judgments on the state process but feel it is worth sharing for others to comment on. I will react to comments but not start them.

"The governor has tasked him with making sure this federal stimulus money is put to work for North Carolina as quickly as possible and with as much accountability as possible," said Chrissy Pearson, Perdue's press secretary.[/QU I actually think most of it is going to medicaid.
A lot of the money comes designated by the government for various areas. What strikes me is that many states are further along in the process than North Carolina appears to be. I know that having a transition in government may have played a role. But certainly how that money is distributed will impact the planning of local governments as the construct their budgets. Many other states and local governments are further along in their budget planning and I am not sure if this is just a normal time line being followed here.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Sorry to break it to you, but last update suggests that Wake County is getting virtually zero of that money. It's going to more needy regions like Durham, Wilmington and Asheville.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

What strikes me is that many states are further along in the process than North Carolina appears to be.
Upon what content in the article is this statement based? I don't see the connection.

A more contextual issue to raise is the question of Perdue's judgement in creating a new position for oversight rather then delegating authority to existing staff.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
Upon what content in the article is this statement based? I don't see the connection.

A more contextual issue to raise is the question of Perdue's judgement in creating a new position for oversight rather then delegating authority to existing staff.
A reading of national news and a study of state budgets will answer that question for you. I linked some other stats that have determined in another thread on teacher layoffs in Wake county. How it becomes significant is that posturing for money by the counties and various agencies comes into play during March and perhaps into April and may well delay the ability of local government and agencies to finalize and put in place their budgets and make the needed adjustments sooner. For example, not all counties might be laying teachers off. The sooner a teacher knows they will be out of work the sooner they can apply to another county while they are still hiring. There won't be a lot of hiring done so what is done will be very competitive. If a local Board of Ed is unable to finalize their budget request what will the County government be basing their budge on? It can make for a messier process as you move closer to the beginning of a new fiscal year and dates that budgets need to be finalize by.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 AM

A link not provided in the other thread about another state and plans they have already finalized and they have done that in the areas in the article and others including education. Local districts know what they are getting and are building their budgets accordingly. School budgets have been built and submitted and wealthy districts are doing ok also.
How MD Will Use Its Stimulus Money - Baltimore News, Weather, Breaking News | WMAR-TV
The first phase of Maryland transportation projects from the federal recovery act will include about $365 million for highway and transit projects.

Gov. Martin O'Malley outlined the projects at the Board of Public Works on Wednesday

Is North Carolina at that point?

Alabama seems to know. They have said no teacher layoffs as a result of stimulus money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary