Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,329 times

Advertisements

I finally convinced my husband to rip out the miserable junipers that were dominating our front yard. But now we have to decide what should go in their place.

The junipers did a nice job of blocking the neighbor's driveway and hiding the electrical and cable boxes.

I've included some pictures of the space below.

As for replacement ideas, I've been thinking about butterfly bushes, rosemary/lavendar and sweet olive. But I really have no idea. I'm looking for something that will do the same job as the junipers, but won't be poky and gross and evil. Heh.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Here are the junipers. We cut them back a ton before I thought to take a photo.

And here is the sad and naked post-juniper, pre-awesome front yard.

What wondrous yet low-maintenance shrubs or shrub-like things would you fill this space with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,238,754 times
If you're looking for low-maintenance, I might shy away from the butterfly bushes. They can look a whole lot like weeds when not maintained.

Rosemary is really easy and will make your lawn smell great. Just hack some of it away twice a year or else it might take over your house (mine is making a great effort right now).

Old 03-08-2009, 02:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,039,443 times
Default reply

A butterfly bush should work fine there. You also appear to have room for one of my favorites: a Little Gem Magnolia(magnolia grandiflora). These are more shrub than tree. They are very deer tolerant, they produce gorgeous blooms that have a unique fragrance. Grows 18-20 feet tall and 6-8 feet wide. Gardenias would also seem to be a good fit based on your photo. A dwarf crepe myrtle is another possibilty. Good luck. You might take the picture to Logan's Nursery in downtown Raleigh and ask them for suggestions. They have never steered me wrong. Grab lunch while you are there.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times
Nothing is more Southern and colorful than nandina. There are so many varities and sizes so I'm not sure which would be best but they are very hardy, don't need pruning, evergreen and pest resistant and very friendly if you want to interplant perennials or annuals. Or if you are thinking of getting into perennials why not start with daylillies and bulbs. Perennials are the best value.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,000 times
Just keep in mind that you probably want something that hides the electrical box in the winter as well. Dwarf Crepe Myrtles will loose their foliage in the winter. I recommend checking to see what other neighbors have used to hide theirs.

I really like the large ornamental grasses. But you will need to cut them back in the winter, even so, it could hide that box if placed right and big enough.

BTW, it looks so much better already! Smart choice!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,803,586 times
Nandinas are exotic invasives...so I'd shy away from those.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 PM

25 posts, read 93,132 times
Golden Mops would look great there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary