Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 PM

146 posts, read 691,162 times

Advertisements

Indoor public places are one thing - grocery stores, post offices, etc - I agree those are no places for dogs. But I think anywhere outdoors should be fine as long as you can control your dog. I always pull mine in close to me whenever we're around other people so that it's easy for them to keep their distance if they prefer. Also, with yards getting smaller and smaller these days, that's becoming less of an option.

As far as restaurant patios go - if we're out at a dog park, taking hikes, etc, and want to stop for a lunch break, it's a huge pain to drive home, leave the dog there, go out to lunch, drive back home, pick up the dog, and head out again. As a previous poster mentioned, I'm not sure how it is around here since we just moved. But where we lived before, we would always be seated in a far corner of the patio (only after making sure the restaurant was ok with us having our dog there). And if any dog ever misbehaves (i.e., does anything except lie quietly under your table), they are asked to leave.

I know some people abuse the rules, but most of us just enjoy getting some fresh air and exercise with "man's best friend." They may not be human, but for those that love them, they provide great companionship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 04:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy02 View Post
I would suggest that you find someone you trust with a dog and try and introduce your son gently to it. My friends daughter was terrified of dogs too. What she did was let her friends really old pooch come into her garden, it just ignored her daughter and gradually her daughter has overcome her fear. She is still scared of new dogs but they do not let their daughters phobia stop them from doing things they want to.
My daughter had a friend was terrified of all animals that did something similar. They quite catering to the girls fears and took gentle steps to help her overcome it.

Part of what helped was that this girl wanted to be my daughter's friend in the worst way, but couldn't come over to our home because of our dog. It was also limiting because she couldn't go over to certain family members, play at the park or walk down the street ....etc etc etc.

We were compassionate but slowly introduced her to the dog....first by my always holding him when she was in the home (he's small thankfully and very calm!), then keeping him on his leash in the house when she was there. Then slowly letting him off the leash when they were busy but not letting him be loose in the same room...etc etc....we just calmly built up her comfort zone until she felt comfortable enough to come over for a slumber party and our dog spent part of the night on her sleeping bag.

Within 2 months of that (and her showing off the next morning to her father that she could pet the pup!) the family got their own dog...a LARGE husky about 5 times bigger then ours! LOL!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:27 PM

95 posts, read 286,698 times
I am sure those of you who replied and who are parents of human children understand that my child being 8 years old, we have tried a myriad of times to help him overcome his fear of dogs. A responsible parent would not ignore such a thing, and we are (husband and I) responsible parents. Thus far he remains afraid of dogs.
I am not saying do not take your dog out at all. I am saying taking it to an appropriate place. As I would never eat dinner with a dog at the table at home, I do not appreciate one sitting anywhere near me in a restaurant, even if my son were not afraid of dogs. I don't think they belong in department stores, grocery stores (food!), hospitals, post offices, etc. I believe most cities/towns have dog parks. We have one here and I have read that they have them in the Triangle area.
I do not understand, why all of a sudden it is cruel not to take your dog with you when going somewhere, when, for who knows how long, people left their dogs at home in their yards. We had dogs when I was a child. When we went somewhere the dog stayed home. When we returned we brought it in or went outside to play with it. I rarely remember seeing a dog out in public places.

And I'm sorry folks but I will never see dogs on the same level as my son...

Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM

177 posts, read 847,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
And I'm sorry folks but I will never see dogs on the same level as my son...
Nobody expects you to - just as we don't expect you to see our dogs to be as much our "children" as your child is yours.

Oh, and BTW - my mum has worked in a hospital for 15 years. The only time dogs are permitted in is when their respective "parents" are about to die. I think that's fair.

eileen

Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 PM

The hospital dog incident I referred to included a lady who took her dog into the hospital with her while getting her prescription. She walked right passed the information booth, no one said a word. She waited in line, went up to the window, got her prescription and exited with Fifi. No hospital employee said a word. I asked someone at the info booth if dogs were allowed and they said no. But no one did a thing about it. That is what I am tired of.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:37 PM

I forgot to add. We went to my son's Open House tonight. Someone showed up with their dog. At the school, in a classroom. A place where there are several signs which state no dogs allowed. But, the rules were totally disregarded. Maybe it is also the lack of consideration and following rules that bothers me.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
I forgot to add. We went to my son's Open House tonight. Someone showed up with their dog. At the school, in a classroom. A place where there are several signs which state no dogs allowed. But, the rules were totally disregarded. Maybe it is also the lack of consideration and following rules that bothers me.
They had signs up that state 'no dogs'? I've never seen such a thing at a school....here or wear we moved from. Not down here, but in my daughter's last elementary school, well behaved dogs were more then welcome.

We get your point, you don't like dogs and don't want to see any of them....thankfully there are plenty of places that our four-footed family members (and they are family members to us - just as your son is to you) are welcome.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Dang, I hope you don't sit beside me somewhere - dog at my feet, cigarette in ashtray, beer in hand.

To the OP, there are numerous parks here where you can take dogs, in addition to the dog parks. Many of the parks have fantastic trails, paved and dirt, for all interests.

You just don't see dogs at non-dog (?) places because we are such a commuter society. While in Europe and South America, I noticed people tend to take a bus or train with pooch in tow, and spend hours wandering around - shopping, eating, socializing. Here we simply get in the car and go from place-to-place, while dogs likely enjoy it it just doesn't seem to be "fun".

Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I would not take my dog indoors at a business, except of course if it was a groomer, vet, pet store, etc. I worked at a store a few summers ago and had to ask a woman to leave because she brought a little dog in to the store in her purse.

When we take our dogs to a restaurant, it is always an informal restaurant (i.e., counter service) and I always keep them on the outdoor patio at a table in the corner or away from the doors. They always just quietly lay under the table and gobble up the food that my son throws off his high-chair.

As some previous posters have said, Europeans tend to take their dogs out too. I remember seeing a dog or two (big ones, like Labradors) at many English pubs. Always inside quietly laying at their master's feet.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM

55 posts, read 211,148 times
Default dog friendly

Lilly's pizza and The Third Place in five points always have dogs dining outside with their families. Fallon Park and Fletcher Park attractalot of dogs. Both have places where it is safe to let your dog off the leash. Oakwood Cemetary is a great place to explore Raleigh history while walking your dog. The Confederate Veterans section is especially beautiful. Totally worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary