U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 21,161 times

Advertisements

I have just taken a job in Research Triangle Park, so my wife, soon-to-be-baby, and I are moving to the area. I really don't know anything about the area. I read a lot on this website, but some of the info is so scattered and difficult to put together.

My questions.

1) We were thinking of moving to Durham, Raleigh, or Chapel Hill. Are there any other townships/villages/cities that we should be thinking of that I don't know about?

2) I know that this is broad, but what are some of the good and bad things about the potential areas to buy a house? Keeping in mind that we a) have an infant, b) will likely be staying a while (school systems), and c) would like a safe area.

Also, if you can answer this, how are the commutes from any of these areas to RTP? Horrible traffic? bicycle lanes? buses? Just curious

We would probably be able to afford something in the $300-400k range, I am guessing... Keep in mind I know nothing about the area, so all info is good info!!!!!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM

40,179 posts, read 69,511,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majical1 View Post
I have just taken a job in Research Triangle Park, so my wife, soon-to-be-baby, and I are moving to the area. I really don't know anything about the area. I read a lot on this website, but some of the info is so scattered and difficult to put together.

My questions.

1) We were thinking of moving to Durham, Raleigh, or Chapel Hill. Are there any other townships/villages/cities that we should be thinking of that I don't know about?

2) I know that this is broad, but what are some of the good and bad things about the potential areas to buy a house? Keeping in mind that we a) have an infant, b) will likely be staying a while (school systems), and c) would like a safe area.

Also, if you can answer this, how are the commutes from any of these areas to RTP? Horrible traffic? bicycle lanes? buses? Just curious

We would probably be able to afford something in the $300-400k range, I am guessing... Keep in mind I know nothing about the area, so all info is good info!!!!!

Thanks!

Where in RTP? It is a long stretch from one end to the other and the road system does better from some directions.

Morrisville and Durham provide the shortest commutes.

$300,000 to $400,000 offers quite a few options, where you will have community pools, opportunity for good schools although Wake County Public School System moves kids around some.
You will find Cary, Morrisville, Raleigh, and SW Durham offering new or newer construction with easy drive to much of RTP. If you are in the right place, you might bike it. Chapel Hill is certainly worthy of consideration.

What is important in a home?
New construction?
Large space?
Large lots?
Community amenities?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Oh, I didn't know RTP was so massive! I will be at the EPA, if you know where that is... (I don't)

What is important to us in a home?

New/old doens't matter. The only thing that would stop us from buying NEW is if it is in a "cookie-cutter" style subdivision.

We like quiet. Not necessarily huge lots, but enough to run around in.

We could go either way on the community amenities, I think. Things like safety and quiet are more important to us.

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM

40,179 posts, read 69,511,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majical1 View Post
Oh, I didn't know RTP was so massive! I will be at the EPA, if you know where that is... (I don't)

What is important to us in a home?

New/old doens't matter. The only thing that would stop us from buying NEW is if it is in a "cookie-cutter" style subdivision.

We like quiet. Not necessarily huge lots, but enough to run around in.

We could go either way on the community amenities, I think. Things like safety and quiet are more important to us.

Thanks!

EPA is #50, right in the center of the map, off Hopson Road. Well, between Hopson Rd., TW Alexander Drive, and the PROPOSED Triangle Parkway.
Durham, Morrisville, and Cary offer good commutes.
Raleigh or Chapel Hill will work.

Lots of cookie cutter to be had, so off to work we go for more quiet and less cookie cutter...

Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 23,750,869 times
I've commuted to RTP (north central part) from both North Raleigh and Chapel Hill, and both were decent commutes (sub-30 minute). The nice thing about RTP is that it sits on the middle of many places one could live.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM

21 posts, read 62,754 times
One thing to be aware of is the EPA also has a facility at UNC - so you might not be working in RTP. I also applied for a position with the EPA (hopefully not the one you just got!) and I know that one was based at the facility in Chapel Hill. I got as far as the interview so far for the position I applied for and I am hoping to hear the outcome sometime this week or next. If all goes well I will be making the same move shortly.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
One thing to be aware of is the EPA also has a facility at UNC - so you might not be working in RTP. I also applied for a position with the EPA (hopefully not the one you just got!) and I know that one was based at the facility in Chapel Hill. I got as far as the interview so far for the position I applied for and I am hoping to hear the outcome sometime this week or next. If all goes well I will be making the same move shortly.
artifact,

I am sure it isn't the same one! They were hiring somewhere around 10 people just in my narrow field, so the chances are quite slim... best of luck!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 PM

10,674 posts, read 21,484,687 times
The one "township" glaringly left out of your original range is Cary, which may be the best option for you as it is close to the part of RTP where the EPA is, VERY family-oriented, and much within your price range.

We have one or two heavy duty Cary cheerleaders on here who will sing its praises even more

Old 03-10-2009, 02:37 PM

21 posts, read 62,754 times
Thanks! I am not sure how many people they were hiring under the announcement I applied for, but I am pretty sure it was not as many as 10 - maybe 2, or at most 3, I would think. It is a pretty narrow field as well.

Congratulations on getting a position and on the baby to be as well - I am in the same boat, due in May, but we already have 2 girls.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM

114 posts, read 356,744 times
Well I am not one of the heavy duty Cary cheerleaders but I do live in west Cary and am very happy with my decision and with the surrounding community. If you are looking for a outdoorsy, family friendly area that is close to RTP, I would put Cary right at the top of the list. Good schools, very safe, many housing choices, lots of parks, fairly diverse, convenient to RTP and Raleigh, doing well economically, etc. It's not for everyone but it sounds like Cary might be a very good match for you. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>