Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:37 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,140 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in town for a few days and will be eating lunches and dinner by myself. I'm totally fine with this, but was wondering where you'd suggest I go that has a good atmosphere for a singleton. For example, the last time I was in town I ate that a place sort of like Panera in Cameron Village (I forgot the name) and it was a great place to eat by myself- I didn't feel awkward or out of place being by alone there. Any suggestions like that? I'll be there for 3 lunches and 2 dinners and on a $10 or less budget per meal. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:58 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,537 times
Default reply

If you get back to C-V, try and eat at Piccola Italia. The owner came here from Italy and they have been in business for close to 30 years. EXCELLENT pasta and pizza. In town in Raleigh I would also suggest The Player's Retreat, The Point, Baja Burrito(one of my all time favorites), The Raleigh Times, Vic's at City Market, The Roast Grill for lunch, Tookies, The Village Drafthouse, Big Ed's for lunch, Hard Times, Armadillo Grill, Moonlight Pizza. Mellow Mushroom, Boylan Bridge Brew Pub and Clyde Cooper's Cue(lunch only). Hope that helps.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,463 times
I'll go just about anywhere to eat alone... I do it quite often, in the middle of a work day for instance. I just usually bring a newspaper and ask to be seated off to the side somewhere.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,688 times
Manhattan Cafe or the Brass Grill on Wilmington Street for lunch. The Q-Shack in North Hills. The Pit on Davie St. downtown although you may go over 10 bucks. The Mint on Fayetteville St has $9 lunch specials. Not the best place to go alone, but the food is good. Tir Na N'Og on Blount Street has a reasonable lunch as well.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
For example, the last time I was in town I ate that a place sort of like Panera in Cameron Village (I forgot the name) and it was a great place to eat by myself- I didn't feel awkward or out of place being by alone there.
I believe that is Carolina Cafe. There are many places to eat alone. Local restaurants also have bar seating which can be good for lunch or dinner.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 PM

20 posts, read 59,434 times
I stop by Moonlight Pizza once or twice a month to read and eat by myself at the bar. You can get a small pizza or their spaghetti is excellent. Most of the time about half the people at the bar are dining alone as well.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 AM

18 posts, read 58,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
If you get back to C-V, try and eat at Piccola Italia. The owner came here from Italy and they have been in business for close to 30 years. EXCELLENT pasta and pizza. In town in Raleigh I would also suggest The Player's Retreat, The Point, Baja Burrito(one of my all time favorites), The Raleigh Times, Vic's at City Market, The Roast Grill for lunch, Tookies, The Village Drafthouse, Big Ed's for lunch, Hard Times, Armadillo Grill, Moonlight Pizza. Mellow Mushroom, Boylan Bridge Brew Pub and Clyde Cooper's Cue(lunch only). Hope that helps.
I may be wrong,but didn't Big ed close down?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:33 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,712 times
Big Eds is still very much open.

When I travel alone, I eat at sushi bars. There you sit at the bar and there is always conversation among the people at the bar. The closest to you would be Haru at Glenwood Village on Glenwood and Oberlin, and Sushi Blues in Glenwood South (which tends to be a younger crowd).

Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,537 times
Default reply

the farmer's market restaurant closed for renovations a couple of months back. they should re-open soon and will now be serving dinner as well. Big Ed's is still packing them in even thogh Ed Watkins sold it and retired.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 AM

18 posts, read 58,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
the farmer's market restaurant closed for renovations a couple of months back. they should re-open soon and will now be serving dinner as well. Big Ed's is still packing them in even thogh Ed Watkins sold it and retired.
Ah! I see now. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary