Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:44 AM

156 posts, read 920,129 times

Advertisements

I am still in confusion mode.. I thought a natural transition to NC would take me to Wilmington, near the water and the River walk.. Similiar to where I live on Long Island NY.. BUT NOBODY here is moving there and I am panicking.

Why? Why? .. It is a very expensive move and I don't want to make a mistake..Now I here about lake houses on Lake Norman.. More confusion..I am not a " professional" so to speak and those fancy jobs in the triangle won't want me.. Soooo If it it's not for jobs, Why isn't anybody moving to the pretty coast of Wilmington.. Must be a reason, or I would see some threads..

Has anybody checked out Wilimington? I thought it was really pretty..My time frame has moved to Nov..My budget is 300K

Anybody live on the Lake? Thanks again all of you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 07:40 AM

177 posts, read 847,366 times
You might want to post this on the general NC forum instead.

eileen

Old 03-23-2007, 08:28 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Well, my 1st thought was to be by the coast, too, but, the school systems are not as good, and, the hurricane threat wsa a bit much for us.
Lake Norman was awesome but that whole area , as well as the commute (and it is a commute) into Charlotte was too much for us.
The best area for us was the Triange, but, Wilmington is gorgeous and you should really research it more for yourself to see if it fits your needs.
Do I miss the salt water? Yes, that is the thing I miss most here. It is 2 hours away. The lakes are nice & everything else in our lives is better here, though.
BTW there are all sorts of people in the triangle, it is not just for yuppies. And with that $300K budget you would have tons of choices here.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,528 times
HI NYer. My family and I moved from Huntington Bay last year (almost to the day). There are a LOT of Variables to consider, and I don’t presume to know your full situation. For me, the toughest part of leaving the island was leaving saltwater fishing. We considered the Coast area as well, but I had to weigh out all aspects such as schools for my kids, job opportunities if I ever loose my current job, weather concerns (i.e hurricanes) and overall culture shock. The tri-angle area makes so much sense for so many reasons. The coast is close enough for a day trip if you want it, and so is the Mountains if you head west.

Coming from LI, I am used to convenience of shopping, resturants, etc, and in Wake Forest (which is where we moved) & Raleigh you will not feel that this area is missing any of that.

If you want to discuss this in more detail, let me know. Best of luck.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Hi LI to Wake! I did not mean to criticize the area, it is great for us in every way, except for one: it's just that the one thing I miss is being able to stop at the beach weekly. As I stated in my post, that need did not outweigh the other considerations.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:52 AM

156 posts, read 920,129 times
Wow!! Thanks all of you.. I have no kids and am single. 300K buys a small home in Wilmington..I have been on this computer all morning looking at Lake Norman.. Big Prices.. ..So pretty to live on a lake.. No small cottages, gigantic homes.This is a nightmare of confusion..I have been to Wilmington three times..

More home for your dollar in the Raleigh Area.. Chapel Hill looks so pretty..
If it only had water..

Morrisville looks lonley..

This forum is great!!! So much help!! Thanks..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I have made the trip out to Wilmington from Raleigh a few times and always enjoy my visits to the shore. Wrightsville Beach is great and of course the shops and restaurants along the river-walk can't be beat. There is a lot of night-life activity down there.

Like you would expect with any shore community, housign prices are higher than further inland and you have to deal with seasonal traffic issues. I don't know anything about schools in Wilmington so I can't comment on them.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but I think the biggest determining factor for most people trying to decide where to settle in NC (Coast vs. Raleigh/Durham vs. Moutains vs. Charlotte) is where they will actually be able to get a good job that will sustain their lifestyle. Depending on your profession one area may be better than anotehr for you. It doesn't do you any good if you find your dream house in an area of the state where there aren't any employment opportunities in your profession. If Iwere you I would look into job opportunities to help with your decision. Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 33,396 times
My husband's cousin just moved from Long Island to Wake Forest a year ago. He said there is a lot of development there right now and they love it. Now we are thinking of moving there too (from Virginia however). I loved Cary when I was there a few years ago. They had some really lovely houses around a lake in one of the older developments -- I had my eye on some of those homes!

Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,323 times
Default Long Island to Raleigh

Yes many, and i mean many Long Islanders are currently moving and many planning a move to Raleigh. We are originally from Huntington NY and are looking at a early 2008 move.

Now all we have to do is find some real Bagels, Pizza & NY style Chinese food- ha.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Thumbs up Long Island here...West Islip to Wading River to Raleigh

Moved down in November 2006...hometown is West Islip, spent last 8 years in Wading River, now I am in Raleigh. Love it! I saw on the news the other night that Suffolk County (where I am from) Long Island ranked #17 from census reporting regarding relocation to Wake County since 2005...I was like, wow....#1 was Durham County, which is one county over from Wake, they said since 2005, 16,000 people relocated from Durham County to Wake County. I wonder why that is? Anyways, I just thought I would share those statistics. If you are moving from Long Island, you will love it. Do your research, visit, and make the plan to do it. One more note, I don't miss LIPA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary