Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what Triangle C-D folks enjoy the most? Which beach and why? Or what Mountain town? This may give us some new travel ideas. I love Bogue Banks. Nothing better imo. Give me a nice day at Cape Lookout or Shackelford Banks followed by a nice dinner at The Beaufort Grocery and life is good. I also love West Jefferson and Lake Lure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 PM

336 posts, read 1,495,704 times
the mountains. boone and asheville.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:49 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,547 times
The Coast....I'll have to agree with you on Cape Lookout and Shackelford Banks. I love Kure Beach. My grandparents spent a lot of time there in the 40's and 50's, took my parents and then took me growing up. I love the little old motels and fishing on the pier at night. I guess the appeal is mostly nostalgic for me. Not a lot of people can appreciate those little motels.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I love both the coast and the mountains and try to get to them as much as possible. My family has owned an old inn at Wrightsville beach for almost a century, so I spend a significant time there, but I there ar eplenty of other coastal areas I like just as much.

I'm not a big lake person though. Don't care to swim or fish in them.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM

144 posts, read 130,936 times
All 3, they're beautiful and terrific.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
I love the mountains. Especially the virgin tracts of land. I really want to explore the trails of Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

Lamishra- Aren't you lucky? Did your grandparents's run the inn? That is cool.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I love both the coast and the mountains and try to get to them as much as possible. My family has owned an old inn at Wrightsville beach for almost a century, so I spend a significant time there, but I there ar eplenty of other coastal areas I like just as much.

I'm not a big lake person though. Don't care to swim or fish in them.
I'm with you on this, but have to lean towards the beach. There is just something about the ocean that leaves one a little more in "awe" then the mountains. But the Boone area would be a very close second.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
That's a tough one. I love every square inch of NC, and regret that I won't be able to see it all. I guess my heart has to be in Dare County. I have vacationed it all from Duck to Ocracoke over many years. Tent camping and surf fishing under the Hatteras light was a big hit with us in the 50's and 60's. I have to admit that these days we spend a lot of time in coastal Horry County, SC. I'm fond of the mild winters and wide sandy beaches there.

We plan on making another trip to Manteo this August. I'm a fan of the Lost Colony there, and especially enjoy visiting the Purple Martin Roost at Manns Harbor at dusk

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,613 times
Man, that's a tough one. I've been going to Emerald Isle all my life and love it and the surrounding area. Uncle you're right about Shackelford Banks being great, I know they're allowing people to climb Cape Lookout lighthouse 4 times a year now, I need to get down and do that sometime. Sunset beach is pretty cool, love the floating swing bridge, although it is on the way out. Wrightsville beach is great, as well as the Wilmington area. My dad used to have a place at Station One. The umm..scenery was great, especially when UNC-W is in session. Nag Head is OK, but not my favorite. However just down the road on Hatteras island is awesome. when you get off the road and over the primary dune you can't see anything for miles, must have been what it was like for Verranzzano.
I used to paddle a whitewater kayak and have been all over the N.C. mountains. I love the area around the Nantahala river, Ashville is really great, but we usually go the the Blowing Rock area now that I have a family. I also have many fond memories of sailing on Kerr lake and I really need to get up to Lake Lure soon. You might as well ask me which one of my kids I love more...they're all great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary