Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,330 times

Advertisements

The first thing you need to do is to stop thinking that WCPSS is "holding your child back." He doesn't meet the cutoff date. End of story. Perhaps the problem is that you started pre-K too soon. If he started pre-K this year, then next year you wouldn't have a problem, would you?

Every school district in America has cut off dates, even in NY. These dates are typically based upon data that suggests kids enrolled before that age will struggle, whereas afterwards will be fine. Face it, every parent thinks that their child is "above average academically", and without that date drawn in the sand we'd have 3 and 4 year olds in kindergarten for the majority of the school year.

It has nothing to do with where you are from, and to even suggest that is ridiculous.

I haven't looked into them here, but in general I am a big fan of Montessori programs and schools. So that is something you could look into. Try to think of your situation as something positive for your child, and in his best interest, not as a negative and persecussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
The first thing you need to do is to stop thinking that WCPSS is "holding your child back." He doesn't meet the cutoff date. End of story. Perhaps the problem is that you started pre-K too soon. If he started pre-K this year, then next year you wouldn't have a problem, would you?

Every school district in America has cut off dates, even in NY. These dates are typically based upon data that suggests kids enrolled before that age will struggle, whereas afterwards will be fine. Face it, every parent thinks that their child is "above average academically", and without that date drawn in the sand we'd have 3 and 4 year olds in kindergarten for the majority of the school year.

It has nothing to do with where you are from, and to even suggest that is ridiculous.

I haven't looked into them here, but in general I am a big fan of Montessori programs and schools. So that is something you could look into. Try to think of your situation as something positive for your child, and in his best interest, not as a negative and persecussion.
I agree.. the term "holding back" implies something is wrong with ones child. Somebody will always have to be the youngest. When the cutoff date was October 16th, many parents chose to keep their September and October babies @ preschool/home another year to avoid being the youngest. Summer babies were right on schedule. With the new cut off date, I anticipate more people will "hold back" their June and July babies !

Somehow it all works out in the end.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
With the new cut off date, I anticipate more people will "hold back" their June and July babies !

Somehow it all works out in the end.

Indeed. Although she's very bright and I think she's ready for Kindergarten, I'm not thrilled that my child with a mid-July birthday will be one of the youngest in her class. She'll be on a year round calendar in Durham and won't turn 5 until the 2nd day of school. Having said that, I'd certainly not be happy if she had been born later and missed the cut-off by a couple of weeks. That would drive me crazy. Grass is always greener!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
Indeed. Although she's very bright and I think she's ready for Kindergarten, I'm not thrilled that my child with a mid-July birthday will be one of the youngest in her class. She'll be on a year round calendar in Durham and won't turn 5 until the 2nd day of school. Having said that, I'd certainly not be happy if she had been born later and missed the cut-off by a couple of weeks. That would drive me crazy. Grass is always greener!
Just wanted to mention this - If you hold back your summer babies they will turn 18 when they start their senior year in high school. If for some reason they are held back a year /repeat/etc... the possibility exists to be 19 and starting their senior year of high schools. I know of two people in this situation so it does happen.

I went through this with my family and my brother was NOT a happy camper to be 18 for his whole senior year.

High school seems like a long way from now when you have a little one.. but trust me.. it comes way too quickly ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary