Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:38 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
NC Man. Just a point I want to make that will help the discussion. When talking about unemployment it would be beneficial if you could stick to the unemployment numbers for the Triangle area and not NC in general. There is a difference between the two numbers and since this is a local forum about Wake, Orange, and Durham Counties (The Triangle) it would be useful to discuss the numbers for these areas rather than confuse things with numbers from other parts of NC.

Let's try to keep the Triangle forum "local".
The post was old news we all know the raleigh area has jumbed since then RG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
That's not my point. I'm just saying it is more useful to stick to Local numbers (whatever they may be) since this is a local forum.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
A link would be helpful.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I don't know if VickiR is from the South, but this is quite interesting because it's a great example of a Northerner's directness and a Southerner's indirectness in the name of "politeness." One might "perceive" the Northern response as being unfriendly, but that is not the Northerner's intention.

I think human behavior is fascinating. Really, I do.

(And many people often do move somewhere without finding a job; it's often difficult to find a job without interviewing for it first, and in-person interviews are the norm. If people are trying to reduce costs, they may feel they can afford the trip to move here but not afford a "fact-finding" trip.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Perhaps it isn't WHAT is said but HOW it is said.

For example...if someone asks about moving to NC...you can say:

1. Before you get too excited about moving here, find a job!
Now this sounds a bit annoying to ME. Seems as if the poster thinks a person moving wouldn't have sense enough to understand that they NEED a job, unless they are independently wealthy.

Or...maybe you could phrase it like this:

2. In answer to your question, YES, the weather in Cary IS very similar to the weather in Raleigh. By the way, our unemployment rates have gotten higher in the last few months. I hope you won't have any trouble finding your dream job!

I think cabin fever has gotten to me! That AND hubby, trying to do my taxes!!!

Vicki

Old 03-15-2009, 03:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Local unemployment numbers will be available this week.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:57 PM

144 posts, read 130,880 times
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Not really, because unemployed people move here all the time thinking they will find jobs once they come. NC unemployment rate has recently skyrocketed, but until recently, it was still being touted as this wonderful place where jobs were plentiful and easy to find.
It's just a warning to people who might still think that, not an insult.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!

This has to be a joke. Many of the repeated comments posted here by some are outright attempts to scare others away, in order to keep things to themselves. There are some who would like to close the door behind them. There are some who ONLY post what they feel is wrong with the area, true or false, yet never post anything good or a reason why someone might be better off here.
you are so predictable.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
you are so predictable.
Right back at ya, which is kinda the point.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM

94 posts, read 175,633 times
Quote:
that is not a study, its the rates for people who have applied for unemployeement insurance in Raleigh Metro NC for DEC 08, New numbers for JAN should be out and it jumped big time. NC increased more then any other state DEC to JAN. And this number does not include thousands that cant apply here because they are from out of state and left home state jobs by choice.

Study- to investigate or examine (something) by observation and research

Old 03-15-2009, 04:51 PM

90 posts, read 177,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_raleigh_guy View Post
i think most people looking to relocate do so with the plan of getting a job first, this makes sense. The only time i throw up a red flag and say "don't move here without a job" is when the poster actually says they are just moving here and expect getting a job wouln't be difficult because they went to xyz university and have an abc degree and have x number of years of experience. In those cases i think it is helpful to point out to the poster that they need to do more research about the job situation since assuming a job will be easy is not a good approach.

That being said, i notice lately that there are a handful of posters who blurt out "don't move here without a job" regardless of what the original poster stated. Even in cases when the original poster may have clearly articulated that their move will not occur until they land a job.

It is in those cases i find the "don't move here without a job" chant a bit overdone and somewhat condescending since the op has already made it clear they are aware of the more difficult job situation.

exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary