Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,176,864 times

Advertisements

Can't the Caryites form an HOA to govern this area and harass the hotels away just as they harass anyone daring to paint their mailbox in a non-standard color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,765 times
Don't those spousal slayings throw that murder rate off? I mean, those types of murders can't have anything to do with public safety in the area.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,624 times
Bad news about Cary? LALALALALALA - I CAN'T HEAR YOU - LALALALALALA

Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM

635 posts, read 3,094,098 times
I don't want to suggest that any number of murders(or other crime) is "acceptable".... but I do think that unless one lives in the proverbial "bubble" that it is inevitable once a certain population density is reached and/or if one's community is just unlucky enough to be a conduit to/from, adjacent to, or convenient for criminal activities. An example of the latter might be a border town with Mexico.

But bottom line, Cary hasn't been a bedroom community to Raleigh/Durham/RTP for a looooong time now. In sheer footprint it rivals Raleigh, and it's 2007 population was ~121,000. Raleigh's was only ~276,000.

However, the ratio of murders per/1000 in Cary in 2007 was 1(one), but 6.7 in Raleigh. So it obviously doesn't track population density exactly in Cary's example versus Raleigh, and looks like Cary's murder rate is well below the state average. And in fact Cary's overall crime index is well below the state and national average.

Of course statistics can be misleading, and I think that as one looks at smaller communities, even "low" rates can be misleading as these crimes may have more of an impact to the community. For example, even a home robbery may be big news in a small town, but may be not even worth reporting(relatively speaking) in a large metro area. However, with a population of over 100,000, I think the per capita(or per 1000) ratings for Cary do make appropriate sense.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it is totally appropriate for the community to be concerned and be intolerant of any crime, and to work toward reducing criminal activities. But I also think it is unrealistic.... just as a matter of probability, to be surprised by or believe that crime rates of any kind will ever be reduced to zero year-after-year as the population exceeds some "break point". Even if committed by transient population moving through the area, one is bound to statistically see some of this crime regardless of community or police vigilance just due to sheer numbers.

I think the only alternative is to live in the aforementioned "bubble"(unrealistic) or indeed move to a smaller community. But the fallacy of the latter choice is that crime can happen there too, and it may be even more shocking as it will be closer to home.

Personally if I were a Cary resident, I'd be pretty pleased with the relatively low crime rates. And I think the only way to find a community one is looking for with regard to crime is to just look at their reported rates. But then again, communities.... like all things..... change and evolve. A "safe" community today may be suffering from a change of fortunes in 20 years.

I don't consider Sanford high crime, but we had 2 murders in 2006, and I think about the same in 2007, all with a population of only 30k. So it is all relative.

Al

Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,157,260 times
Thumbs up Good to be concerned, but don't over-react!

Were currently moving from one of the top 5 Safest cities in the USA according to the FBI and several other sources [Thousand Oaks, CA, which also probably averages maybe 1 murder per year for its size] to your beautiful Cary/Apex area very soon. Believe me that I have no fears of living in your area with even an "average" 1 murder per year for the town. Yes, can one live in an even more rural area and have a zero rating, but it don't get much better than this folks! Like one of the other posts say's, just move into Raleigh itself [which isn't really bad for a real city either] and see the difference. Any suburb of a bigger city will always see some blow-off from that city [you should see the crime rate of the area we are a "suburb of", hopefully that suburb responds strongly and aggressivily immediately, and all is well.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM

40 posts, read 123,988 times
The crime will be with you always and if you think you can out run it or out move it, you are wrong. As the economy continues to spiral downward, it's only going to get worse. You should move to Kansas City, MO, in August 2008, we had 21 murders. By September 2008, we had 101 total so far for the yr. So now, Cary ain't all that bad now is it? We have one murder a day here and yes I want out of here and for obvious reasons.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,684,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
If this one murder per year average trend is going to continue, I may need to find another town to live in. If I wanted city type crime, I would have moved to a city. Let's hope this is not another one.

Cary police probe 'untimely' death :: WRAL.com

"Cary, N.C. — Cary police were investigating what they called an “untimely death” Sunday at the Days Inn, 1716 Walnut St."

The article has changed to

Cary police: No foul play in Marine's death
Posted: Mar. 15 6:08 p.m.
Updated: Today at 2:11 p.m.

So apparently this was NOT a murder.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,399,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
Bad news about Cary? LALALALALALA - I CAN'T HEAR YOU - LALALALALALA

No, here is the difference. I live in Cary and I started the thread. We actually talk about our issues, rather than like city folk that pretend they don't have issues or make up excuses for why they do.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,866,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
If this one murder per year average trend is going to continue, I may need to find another town to live in. If I wanted city type crime, I would have moved to a city. Let's hope this is not another one.

Cary police probe 'untimely' death :: WRAL.com

"Cary, N.C. — Cary police were investigating what they called an “untimely death” Sunday at the Days Inn, 1716 Walnut St."
Why did you assume it might be murder when the headline was clearly 'an untimely death" ? people die 'unexpectedly' everyday when out and about, or even at home, and all such deaths are investigated by the police wherever they are, whether Cary or NY City. Statistically very few deaths are actually murder and it's scare-mongering to assume otherwise.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,399,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
The article has changed to

Cary police: No foul play in Marine's death
Posted: Mar. 15 6:08 p.m.
Updated: Today at 2:11 p.m.

So apparently this was NOT a murder.

It's too bad this person lost their life and my best wishes go out to the family.

I am glad foul play was not involved. I hear what everyone is saying about the stats and how safe Cary really is. That is not even in dispute. The only thing I noticed was that the trend, however microscopic, was in the wrong direction. I want to make sure we keep things under control and do not let our beautiful town become like some cities around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary