Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,047 times

Advertisements

It figures that a Caryite would say that the Southpoint area was the best part of Durham since that's the part of Durham that looks like-- Cary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM

121 posts, read 381,413 times
If they must put in a Wal-Mart, then why can't they do it in the multiple vacant store fronts over near Pier One? Why does Wal-Mart always need to build a new mega-shopping center?

What a waste. As if that area needs more traffic and more big-box retail...

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by layyze View Post
If they must put in a Wal-Mart, then why can't they do it in the multiple vacant store fronts over near Pier One? Why does Wal-Mart always need to build a new mega-shopping center?

What a waste. As if that area needs more traffic and more big-box retail...
They did the same thing here in Raleigh on New Bern Ave. Why rent space when you can own it and sell off parcels to other companies. It is smart, as things build up around them their land and building becomes more valuable and they have another asset to borrow against or sell if they need to. This is another reason people dislike Walmart.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM

144 posts, read 130,880 times
Welcome Walmart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
If so, you can kiss goodbye any "upscale" vibe that area has.

Investor moves on acres near Southpoint - Durham County - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/durham/story/1444584.html - broken link)

Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
If so, you can kiss goodbye any "upscale" vibe that area has.
I live in SW Durham and I would hardly call it upscale. There are a few developments that are, but for the most part this is a very average type of area and definitely not one I'd compare to Cary by any stretch. It's just Southpoint Mall that makes it look as such.

I'm not a Walmart fan and not one of chains in general. When are we going to get that they are the type of businesses that have caused our manufacturing to move overseas. How else would we get those low prices w/out the cheap labor that makes them, but yet we scream to buy American made products....

Please consider shopping at locally owned establishments.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM

121 posts, read 381,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
They did the same thing here in Raleigh on New Bern Ave. Why rent space when you can own it and sell off parcels to other companies. It is smart, as things build up around them their land and building becomes more valuable and they have another asset to borrow against or sell if they need to. This is another reason people dislike Walmart.
And then when they want to expand, they abandon the old building and build a new one. Often times they won't even lease out their old building for years.

Awful, awful use urban (or suburban) space.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
I live in SW Durham and I would hardly call it upscale.
Agreed. I live here too and would say that the area is a mix of upper lower income, middle class, and some upper (but certainly not the majority). I also laugh when I hear some people call SP mall upscale. You would NOT find a Payless shoe source or any other discount or midpriced retail in an 'upscale' mall.

As for Wal-mart, imho, I think for every person opposing one coming, there are even more who will love even if it is secret and against their own better judgment and consciuos. The way the economy is with people used to higher incomes losing jobs left and right, some people will be rolling out the welcome mat.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
I haven't shoped at Walmart in over 10 years. I don't care for the way they treat their employees and I don't like the proven case studies of predatorial practices against locally owned, small businesses. While Southpoint does not have many locally owned businesses, I still oppose Walmart.

I'm not convinced that the Kentington Neighborhood is an environmentally sound place for a Walmart. But I do believe that the residents in this neighborhood have been overlooked & negelected by the city. Thus I don't blame them for wanting to cash out and move out. While I've written my letters against Walmart, I honestly have no hope that the city or county will listen to concerns of citizens down here. It seems the BOCC & City only see South Durham as a cash cow to fund their special projects for other areas of Durham. Lets build it up, make money off the developers, and then charge the south Durham residents to clean up Jordan Lake while we continuing to use their tax money for services in the power centers of Durham. Yes, this is harsh. But if the county was concerned about Jordan Lake being polluted why in the world would it approve a zoning change from residential to Walmart???

Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Here is the type of thing that some people are afraid will be attracted by a Wal-mart in their neighborhood:

Fayetteville police seek three in Wal-Mart robbery :: WRAL.com

They put in a Wal-mart near where my parents live in Massachusetts. They fought it like crazy. They were afraid of a spike in crime with the types of people that would be bussed in from the city. They were right. Crime went up in what was otherwise a sleepy little town.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 PM

86 posts, read 230,319 times
I love Wal-mart, because it is cheap. I like it better then K-Mart and I use to work there. I use to stay in Durham and shop at Wal-Mart on Roxboro Rd and some of the people that work there was ghetto as hell. I am not one of those low lifes that shop there. I have shop at other Wal-Mart and they was decent. I like the Wal-Mart on Roxboro Rd too, but it was the people that work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary