Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,140 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In the next month or so I will be relocating to North Carolina and have a choice between Charlotte and Raleigh. I'm a 27 year old single male currently living in San Francisco, originally from Chicago. Most of the feedback I've received from friends/colleagues that have lived in NC is that Raleigh would be a better choice for me. Being a single guy I'm looking for the part of town where there's good energy, single girls, fun venues for shows and decent bars. What part of town should I be considering? Also, my job involves travel to NC, SC, TN, AL and MS. Is Raleigh an easy destination spot for these locations?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 PM

835 posts, read 3,972,011 times
Both citites ahve major airports so your travel shouldn't be an issue. I would visit both and get a feel for both yourself.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:05 PM

85 posts, read 199,055 times
DEFINITELY go with Charlotte! Period.....

I grew up in Dallas and went to UNC and relocated back to NC after college and have lived here in the RDU area for ~7 yrs now. Its a nice area but just behind in many areas, culturally, economically, socially.

I have a buddy who is from San Fran as well, the Oakland Hills area, who bought a home over in Governor's Club outside of Chapel Hill, b/c he felt it reminded him somewhat of California hills. He hates here...lol

I guess the lesson here is that you can't come here and compare and contrast things from where you are moving. There's no downtown Union Sq or Madison Ave in Raleigh with upscale quality shopping for example. The best it gets here is a b-store Saks 5th Ave & c-store Macys & a Nordstroms. But again it won't be on the nice and grande scale you are use to like in San Francisco or Chicago. If you can get past things such as that, you will be okay. But again, to me Charlotte is more metropolitan than Raleigh. RDU might be more 'educated' b/c of the schools in the area but I think Charlotte offers more for people who are transplants now living here. Just more intellectual and urban vibe, with the uptown area.

you also must understand the sibling rivalry between Charlotte & Raleigh. Raleigh likes to take this pseudo-elite mindset of being ahead of Charlotte, simply b/c it's the capital city though it knows that Charlotte is AHEAD of Raleigh in terms of development and urban growth. I learned of this of the yrs when talking to people from here. I always noticed this edge from the natives here in Raleigh and their attitude w/Charlotte. Its comical

Both areas are nice but I think Charlotte is a better adjustment if you come from a urban environment. The whole uptown vibe and urban feel can't be duplicated in Raleigh....not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary