Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
PUPSI has been in Cary for 15 years! Clean is affirmative. Tiny crates is NOT.
Odd, when I went to get my dog he was in a tiny crate, stacked among other tiny crates, and the OWNER told me the large dogs are in larger crates.

Quote:
PUPSI trains and housebreaks dogs in addition to everything else dog. They groom, have the 1st and largest dog daycare in the Triangle (3rd in nation), and board.
And?

Quote:
The crates are ONLY for housebreaking dogs. IF you know anything about housebreaking, dogs with the problem have to be started in a small area. Bigger dogs with the problem begin in chain link enclosures (walk in).
I know a little about housebreaking, my ten-year old dog (at tie of boarding there) had been housebroken for approx. 9.5 years. Some of the older dogs cooped up there looked housebroken too.

Quote:
The pavement is their ideal situation as it is able to be disinfected. Kennels are not allowed to have grass, dirt, woodchips, mulch, etc. as it can not be disinfected. ALL per the DOA!!
Why does every other boarding establishment in the area have grass, woodchips, etc? Why did every one we went to in Virginia have the same? Why did every one in Ohio have the same? If you have a DoA url for this guideline, please post it.

Quote:
HOW hot could it have been in March to affect your dogs pads?
Because I posted in March does not mean I boarded then. I boarded the previous summer.

Quote:
Your comments are very malicious and wrong.
No they are not.

Quote:
I don't know if you know anything of value about the owner(s) of PUPSI, but they are extremely knowledgeable regarding canines ... they have definitely done their homework and have helped thousands of humans and canines in this area and across the state. I can't imagine either of them trying to "stereotype" or be prejudice at all regarding dogs.
That's very heartwarming.

I'll tell you what I know about the Owners. The guy with the tattoos gave me a lengthy tour and talk before we decided to board there.

He showed me the size of cage my dog would be in while he was not outside.

He pointed out they do not have a vet onsite.

He showed me the almost completely unshaded black asphalt parking lot, er "play area".

So I am dim for not picking up on this, yes.

Then he asked about our dog. In short, I explained he was a 10-yr old pit-mix, very well socialized with dogs and humans, never shown dog/food/human aggression, etc. He flatly told me "I will isolate him until we are confident he won't cause a problem, these dogs usually cause trouble".

We had a terrible experience there, the place and staff are subpar, get over it.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,335 times
Just thought i would throw my two cents in on this issue since i am the general manager at PUPSI. My parents started PUPSI in 1993 right here in cary, we have seen all types of new "day care" facilities come up around us as there is a high demand for this service. Keep in mind my parents are trainers first and when it comes to knowlege of breeds, care, training and behaviors they are experts.

I would like to adress some comments displayed here that simply are not true or might be misconstrued. PUPSI is a very clean facility where the dogs wellfare come first. Yes, there are crates used here for tiny dogs and house breaking. Dogs would never be put in a crate or any enclosure too small for them. All other enclosures are chain link walk in kennels which are spacious enough for 2 large dogs. The outside play area is asphalt. The play area used to be mostly cedar wood chips which worked well. However, the NC Department of Agriculture (which liscences and regulates all kennels in NC) made a rule which states that play areas cannot contain dirt, mulch, pinestraw etc. as it cannot be sanitized. Kennels may have grass as long as there are no bare spots. Any kennel owner knows it is impossible to have grass in a day care setting for long. Therefore, the ideal surface is pavement, gravel or astro turf as it can be cleaned easily. Any dog not used to running and playing on pavement or gravel can experience raw pads the first time or so but, taken slowly they will toughen up and be fine. Yes, it can get hot in the summer time which is why it is constanly cooled by sprinklers. The dogs also love the kiddie pools where they spend most of their time cooling off and playing. There are four large shaded areas on the play ground which I hardly ever see the dogs using as they are busy with the sprinklers and pools. The heat in NC can be brutal so naturally the staff is constantly monitoring the dogs, letting them back in the AC regularly. In addition to keeping the play area clean, the whole purpose of the out side staff is to monitor the dogs for any and everything. Making sure all dogs are happy and healthy.

PUPSI is highly reccomended by many for a reason... it's great plain and simple. This business is family owned and operated by people who truly care about all dogs. Our whole goal is to provide the best service for our clients and their owners Anyone interested in PUPSI is encouraged to come by for a tour of the facility, where they can see everything for themselves.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 AM

I am real curious how you sanitize an asphalt parking lot? Asphalt by it's nature is extremely porous. Personally I don't think it can be done w/o extreme chemical usage particularly during these times of water restrictions.

At what point did your staff ensure my dog was happy and healthy? It certainly wasn't BEFORE he couldn't walk due to his pads being burned by the asphalt.

Perhaps things have changed, but when I picked up my dog, he was in a crate, which was on top of another crate with another dog in it, stacked amongst crates of other dogs.

Congratulations on your successful business, but understand it is not 100% perfect and it is not for everyone. Sometimes you gotta take the onions with the sugar........

Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM
P51

61 posts, read 306,490 times
My husband and I just moved to this area last week from Dallas, Tx. Our two dogs went to a doggie daycare facility in Texas called Woofgang that was exceptional so we have high expectations. We went to visit Pupsi yesterday and met with the owners, they were both very nice and gave us a tour of the facility. We were rather disappointed. Our previous facility had 4,000 square feet of indoor playspace for the dogs and was kept immaculately clean. While it's true that the dogs did relieve themselves indoors occasionally, it was cleaned up and disinfected immediately. The surface of the play area was smooth rubber mat that was easy on the dogs and cleaned up well. The dogs were taken out every hour for pottie breaks and were only crated for nap time (12-2). Although I believe the owners at Pupsi know a lot about dogs, and I belive our dogs would be safe there, we decided not to send our dogs there for daycare. The reason is, the dogs are either out on the asphalt or in a crate. We prefer our dogs had an indoor facility and were not crated except for short nap periods.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,467 times
My 2 cents:

I have been a client of PUPSI since 2005, and have found them to be down to earth, honest, and always looking out for the well being / safety of ALL of the dogs in their care.

The real testament though is the attitude of the dogs under their care. I cannot even say the word PUPSI in my house as my dogs practically pee on themselves to get ready to go! My dogs were both rescue dogs who were untrusting of people, car rides, and noises in general. Since sending to PUPSI for daycare (usually 2 or three time a week), their demeanor has improved, not only being trusting of people, but being able to go for a walk and not be terrified of a car going by, or a kid on a bike riding past.

I think that speaks volumes of the quality of care that dogs receive at PUPSI. Also when we first relocated to the triangle, we searched and searched for a place to put the dogs during the day. I had spoken to several doggie daycares in the area. I got what felt like "snobbery" from the other establishments, and received none of that for the folks at PUPSI.

From the original poster - I will isolate him until we are confident he won't cause a problem, these dogs usually cause trouble".- I would be upset if they Didn't do that. Did you expect them to just let your dog out in the play area without getting to know him first? That would have be totally unprofessional, and could have put your dog and others at risk. Before the dogs go in the play area, the staff have to know what to expect from any new dog joining the pack!

I'm truly sorry that PUPSI wasn't for you, but did you even take the time or effort to see if PUPSI was right for your dog? After all that is what is really important!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
From the original poster - I will isolate him until we are confident he won't cause a problem, these dogs usually cause trouble".- I would be upset if they Didn't do that. Did you expect them to just let your dog out in the play area without getting to know him first? That would have be totally unprofessional, and could have put your dog and others at risk. Before the dogs go in the play area, the staff have to know what to expect from any new dog joining the pack!

I'm truly sorry that PUPSI wasn't for you, but did you even take the time or effort to see if PUPSI was right for your dog? After all that is what is really important!
I wonder if they give that warning to owners of Yorkies, Labs, and all of the other harmless breeds?

I agree, I should have been smarter and elected to not board there after the tour and talk. So many people recommended the place, I thought it worth trying. Huge mistake. Glad you're having a great experience with them, but again not everyone will.

Saying certain keywords is meaningless, btw. My dog gets deliriously happy any time he hears "doctor".

As an aside, and the real reason I dredged this up, a friend told me that someone has filed a lawsuit against a kennel in Cary, but she couldn't remember which one. The lawsuit is a result of a dog dying from heat exhaustion or heat stroke while at the kennel. Anyone else heard this or know for sure which one it is?

Old 08-12-2007, 01:34 PM

133 posts, read 587,079 times
I used Best friends Kennel In Durham when I brought my dog and cat here on a business trip. They really seemed to like it and they have Indoor/outdoor runs!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
Check out Wagger Sitters. They are great!

Waggers! Pet Sitting Service

Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,213 times
Thumbs up We use Hoof & Paw Pet Sitting

Hoof & Paw Pet Sitting is wonderful. We use Allegra to care for our 3 horses, 2 dogs and many cats when we go out of town. Hoof & Paw Pet Sitting and Farm Sitting Services

Last edited by MorganLeFey; 08-21-2007 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 13,872 times
I have found a wonderful kennel - Called Reedy Creek Kennels not far from te airport it is a wooded setting. Dogs go out and in. My dogs are small and the girls told me "oh we let them stay out by us at the desk and play" I was so happy not having to think of them in crates all day - my cat was there too - she was in a double crate so she could move around. the owner is wonderful and the staff also. They really care - we are very very happy with them and have two friends using them now too. Dogs came home happy, not stressed, cat was even in a good mood.haaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary