Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 05:41 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times

Advertisements

Now that spring will be springing and birds are now singing....
I have a question or two. Question 1: I answered last year, so onto
question duo.

Who has the best priced shrubs of the planting type in the triangle?

I want to upscale my downscaled shrubs. I want to plant where no man has planted before. I want to make a habitat for the rabbit-tats that frequent my yard. I am in the northern reaches of the triangle in the Forest in Northern Wake, that's Wake Forest to the Wake County Tax access-or.

Just looking for some almost nice but nicely priced shrubs, trees, grasses, etc. To spruce my almost sprung yard!

Thanks in advance! May the luck of the shrubs be with your every planting pot!

Happy Wednesday! (The Thumb is NOT green so help is needed!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:00 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,056 times
For great prices, I prefer Midnight Stealth Landscaping. All you need is a vehicle, shovel, ski mask, and a well landscaped yard preferably two subdivisions away.

For the less felonious, albeit less exciting, I was at Logans for the first time the other day, and it's a great place. Great selection and helpful staff. A bit more expensive than the BigBox stores, but the plants look much, much better and a much larger selection.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
I'm a fan of Homewood off of Honeycutt Rd. in North Raleigh. I just LOVE that place. Get yourself a large cup of coffee and wander around. That is one place I go where I can get help when I need it but they also leave me alone when I just want to meander around. I've bought a ton of stuff from them and I have never had a plant die --- from the big box stores I am dragging dead plants all the time.

Here is the link to their site: www.homewoodnursery.com

They are having a 25% off all outdoor shrubs, trees, groundcover, etc. until March 21st. If you go there make sure you go inside where the cash registers are and then down the ramp to the greenhouses that are full of really beautiful plants.

Enjoy yourself in the process!!

Last edited by kwalk65; 03-18-2009 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Adding sale info going on

Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I'm a fan of Homewood off of Honeycutt Rd. in North Raleigh. I just LOVE that place. Get yourself a large cup of coffee and wander around. That is one place I go where I can get help when I need it but they also leave me alone when I just want to meander around. I've bought a ton of stuff from them and I have never had a plant die --- from the big box stores I am dragging dead plants all the time.

Here is the link to their site: www.homewoodnursery.com

They are having a 25% off all outdoor shrubs, trees, groundcover, etc. until March 21st. If you go there make sure you go inside where the cash registers are and then down the ramp to the greenhouses that are full of really beautiful plants.

Enjoy yourself in the process!!
Thanks and that is one we used over the years. Very nice place.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
If you want to go cheap, check out a place like Broadwell Nursery in Angier. It's a hike, but they have acres and acres of stuff - priced at a fraction of retail cost (sometimes 90% less than you'd pay retail). But ... plants are not labeled; you have to know what you are looking for. You drive around their site and load up as you go, then pay the man when you are ready to leave. Cash and checks only.

There are a couple of other big nurseries next door to Broadwells also.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
If you want to go cheap, check out a place like Broadwell Nursery in Angier. It's a hike, but they have acres and acres of stuff - priced at a fraction of retail cost (sometimes 90% less than you'd pay retail). But ... plants are not labeled; you have to know what you are looking for. You drive around their site and load up as you go, then pay the man when you are ready to leave. Cash and checks only.

There are a couple of other big nurseries next door to Broadwells also.
Now that is what I am shoveling for. A Road Trip and possibly a
'Shovel Ready' shrub project! Thanks I shall check them out!
Plus as an added advantage you used the golden word, "cheap!" Perfect for my budget!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
My favorite place is DeWayne's in Selma, just up the street from the Smithfield Outlet Mall. They have an amazing selection and I promise you it's worth the drive (and you can shop at the outlet mall too!). In the Fall they have the most gigantic mums that I've never seen anywhere else.
DeWaynes Home and Garden Showplace

Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 PM

114 posts, read 430,138 times
Call Mclamb's out in Johnston county. I hear they are selling to retail people this spring plus their manager Kevin has a boothe at the State Farmer's Market. Their material from what I have bought is far superior to Broadwell's or any other local nursery. Most local places just buy and resale material from them. Plus I read in the N/O several years ago they were the most popular nursery among local landscapers.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
My favorite place is DeWayne's in Selma, just up the street from the Smithfield Outlet Mall. They have an amazing selection and I promise you it's worth the drive (and you can shop at the outlet mall too!). In the Fall they have the most gigantic mums that I've never seen anywhere else.
DeWaynes Home and Garden Showplace

Been there done that many times and two 'Green' thumbs up to their selections! But after their renovation IM 'CS' O their prices went up so its nice to window or maybe better said flower pot shop their and buy somewhere else....

Thanks for the post!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Been there done that many times and two 'Green' thumbs up to their selections! But after their renovation IM 'CS' O their prices went up so its nice to window or maybe better said flower pot shop their and buy somewhere else....

Thanks for the post!!!
You're welcome..... Hmmmm, haven't been there in a while, but I do remember that the prices on trees and shrubs are fantastic at the end of the season when the want to get rid of stock. The same could probably be said at the end of any other season. Still I think it's worth checking out. Again, those mums are huge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary