Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

In answer to your question...whether you live in Cary or Raleigh or Wake Forest, you will find others like you and no one will (or should) question your lack of children or your religious beliefs!

Having children is NOT a requirement of living in Cary. I lived there for many years WITHOUT children!

Just get a pet! They are more obedient and willing to please! I have 4 children. I KNOW!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
If I were childless I wouldn't pick Cary, because I'd be living in an urban loft in a vibrant city. I don't think Cary has urban lofts. ??? But certainly those who are looking for a more suburban experience would like Cary. I'm in the burbs now... but only until the kids go off to college.
Well, Cary is a suburb and not a city that offers any sort of "urban lifestyle." That really doesn't have anything to do with whether it's a good place for people without children. There are plenty of people (myself included) who have absolutely no desire to live in a city. I'd much rather have trees, greenery, walking paths, and access to a large lake - if you are childfree and looking for that kind of lifestyle, then Cary is a fine choice.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:59 PM

31 posts, read 76,838 times
will you be persecuted for your religious beliefs? No. Will someone try to convert or save you? probably once a week... I'm also originally from new england, not religious, and frequently feel overwhelmed by the amount of people trying to force their religious beliefs upon me. For me, the North had a lot less religious pressure than the Triangle and triad

Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
The further toward the country one goes, the more laid back people are.
Au contraire. The country people are the malcontents who moved out because they can't stand people.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:49 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDia View Post
will you be persecuted for your religious beliefs? No. Will someone try to convert or save you? probably once a week... I'm also originally from new england, not religious, and frequently feel overwhelmed by the amount of people trying to force their religious beliefs upon me. For me, the North had a lot less religious pressure than the Triangle and triad

We are in our fourth year and have never had any pressure from anyone.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
I agree, if you don't have kids Cary doesn't fit the bill. Maybe you should give the downtown Raleigh area a look?? We moved to Cary from out of state bc family friends live here. Now we're looking to move toward the city.
We do not have kids at home and we live in Cary. Most of my neighbors do not have kids at home. We shop, play and dine in Cary. We love the parks, walking the sidewalks and biking in Cary. Almost everything we enjoy is in Cary. We can walk to so many things right outside our front door. My drive to work from my awesome Cary location is very brief and pleasant. Why would it make sense to move to a city so that we would have to drive to Cary for everything we enjoy? If we were to ever leave Cary, it would actually be to get further away from the cities and be closer to pure country.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
This has become an interesting thread....
We don't have children, but we are not interested in "urban lifestyle" or nightlife. I grew up in the country in Wisconsin and am used to the country and get easily overwhelmed in the city. (Have any of you heard about "Highly Sensitive People"; I'm one of them). Being around children does not bother me, in fact, I am more comfortable in a family neighborhood setting as opposed to busses, crowds, traffic, etc. Cary may be just fine. We are definately still a minority (couples without kids by choice) so housing is always somewhat of a challenge. I must say childFREE however, not childLESS please, as childless sounds like I am lacking or missing out on something and should be felt sorry for when that's not the case (Speaking for most without-children-by-choice). And we do have a great cat who runs the house!

I am still seeing that a lot of people seem to resent Cary, and the residents there?? Is this a whichever side of the tracks thing? This is a bit odd to me. Her in the Farmington Valley in CT, it's like all the little towns are just one town and not rivalry like that. Are Cary people viewed as "sheltered"? (Like the kid up in the thread about Duke University safety, from Cary, concerned about it and getting a little mocked by some people who think he's a bit sheltered).

I can deal with people trying to save me, and shooing them away politely. But up here there is a sort of cold shoulder definite "you don't belong" vibe. You can't even buy a bottle of wine up here on a Sunday (for consumption of 1/8 of it during next Wednesday's dinner even!) the liquor stores are closed. When you meet someone for the first time in a small town here one of the first things they ask is what church you go to. That is blatently assuming that everyone is a Christian, which isn't very 21st century... I would like to live in a more progressive place, and someone up there on a previous post says its more of a progressive place than New England probably is.

Don't get me wrong, New England is charming, and I would love to stay here, but unfortunately, if you can't afford a $700k house, you don't get anything very nice, and on a rental budget here that is healty, you often won't get something with central air, or even a garage, and it might be built in 1790! The affordable new housing choices are great in the Triangle... try doing a realtor.com search in say, Canton, CT (a town near me), and punch in an affordable price, then do a search in Raleigh and note the difference in your search results!!!

I am enjoying this forum and learning a lot about the area just from the posts I'm reading. Yes, no place on earth is perfect (I thought CT would be perfect), but Triangle has more plusses at this point, and doesn't seem to have a failing system all around like CT we are going to hell in a handbasket here because of lack of affordable housing... all the youth is leaving. No jobs being created here for the youth as well...

So if a few of you from Raleigh and a few of you from Cary got together for a beer, and started shooting the breeze, would it get all ugly, or is it all in good fun??

Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I am still seeing that a lot of people seem to resent Cary, and the residents there?? Is this a whichever side of the tracks thing? This is a bit odd to me. Her in the Farmington Valley in CT, it's like all the little towns are just one town and not rivalry like that. Are Cary people viewed as "sheltered"? (Like the kid up in the thread about Duke University safety, from Cary, concerned about it and getting a little mocked by some people who think he's a bit sheltered).
What I have found is that some of the city people really do not like anything or anyone that is not city like. They have a real hard time understanding why someone would actually PREFER to be away from the city. To them it is assimilate or get outta here. Cary is a unique blend of a country feel with city amenities. That's why it is by far the most popular place to live in NC. And that has been documented in many articles....of which all city people will dispute. The good thing is that for the most part, the people of Cary are wonderful, happy and polite. Lots of waves and smiles. We cherish our wonderful town and simply enjoy life.

Quote:
So if a few of you from Raleigh and a few of you from Cary got together for a beer, and started shooting the breeze, would it get all ugly, or is it all in good fun??
The way I look at it is that people just enjoy flinging some here and there. They enjoy stoking the fire a bit. While I have received some actual threats (for real), I truly feel that most of the things said are not really meant in a hateful manner. I would love to buy a round for my friends and so called foes.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:35 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Cary is a unique blend of a country feel with city amenities. That's why it is by far the most popular place to live in NC. And that has been documented in many articles....of which all city people will dispute. The good thing is that for the most part, the people of Cary are wonderful, happy and polite. Lots of waves and smiles. We cherish our wonderful town and simply enjoy life.
This is EXACTLY what we're looking for and why we're looking at Cary!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
This is EXACTLY what we're looking for and why we're looking at Cary!

Let me be the first to welcome you. If you like it 1/10th as much as we do, you will be loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary