Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The truth is, Cary is suburban Raleigh, just independent from the city since it never got annexed. Anywhere around Raleigh outside the beltline is pretty much the same regardless if you're in Cary or Raleigh.
SOOOO not true, wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
SOOOO not true, wow.

I agree with you 100%. There are some parts of Raleigh that rise to the level of Cary, but many parts do not.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 PM

519 posts, read 981,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I agree with you 100%. There are some parts of Raleigh that rise to the level of Cary, but many parts do not.
This is true... many parts of Raleigh rise ABOVE the level of Cary.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
I'm single, childless AND live in a SFH in Cary. I also happen to have a 60lb dog, so living in a condo or loft or downtown, without a fenced yard is not convenient or suitable for the dog. So it's not ONLY married people or people with human children who live in Cary.

As for religion...I do not subscribe to any religion and when I first moved to Raleigh, some people did try to get me to join a church but as I met more transplants it became less and less of an issue.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:22 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,129 times
Do you get a lot of people "witnessing" door to door there? And if so, are you allowed to put a sign on your door in most neighborhoods? We don't answer the door.... but I don't like people hanging about on the porch either. Or are you more likely to be asked just in conversation with others there?

I have no problem standing up for myself, just curious about how others are there. I have a good strong aura and know how to pull my own strings.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:24 AM

Sorry, I will clarify that I mean a "no soliciting sign" on the door.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Do you get a lot of people "witnessing" door to door there? And if so, are you allowed to put a sign on your door in most neighborhoods? We don't answer the door.... but I don't like people hanging about on the porch either.
I have lived here my entire life, and not ONCE ever had a Jehovah's Witness or Morman come to my door. Of course, we used to live across the street from a Morman family, so maybe it was assumed that they had already "taken care" of us (actually they never brought it up)

Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have lived here my entire life, and not ONCE ever had a Jehovah's Witness or Morman come to my door. Of course, we used to live across the street from a Morman family, so maybe it was assumed that they had already "taken care" of us (actually they never brought it up)
I've lived here for three years and have had religious folks come to my door a few times - maybe three in total. Honestly I hate when anyone comes to the door to sell something, whether it be cookies or religion! I don't think it's enough of a problem to require a sign though.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM

I will clarify that I do respect everyone's right to believe what they want, and have nothing against religious people, or any particular religion... I have a Hindu friend, an Athiest friend, Agnostic friends, etc. I think people should learn to coexist and have respect for one another. A casual church invite in conversation can actually be a kind gesture. Provided the person asking respects the answer they get. AND still treats you like a valid human being if you say no...

Having lived in a town up here that reminds me of the movie "The Village", I'm really welcoming a more accepting 21st century attitude.

BUT ... I don't like it when people (anyone) go door to do bothering people, about anything really... especially religion. Trick or treaters are ok, but not adults selling things or recruiting. I think soliciting of any sort is rude with people's busy lifestyles etc... Imagine someone ringing the doorbell when you're putting dinner on the table and the phone is ringing, or it's your only day off to relax and read a good book. I'm glad you don't get many solicitors.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,419 times
We're the same, but in North Raleigh. You will be surprised that "nice to meet you, where are you from" is immediately followed up by "where do you go to church" and then invitations to check theirs out. It was a bit awkward at first when we met our neighbors but they've now gotten the point after 5 years of no Christmas trees in the window, etc. Also, don't buy a 4 bedroom house if you don't want to get asked when you're going to have kids. This sounds more negative than I mean it- people asked these things right as we first met them but never again after. It hasn't seemed to be a big issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary