Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 AM

502 posts, read 1,389,774 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum and have been reading posts and getting the impression that the Triangle area is a wonderful place to relocate to. My husband and I are considering relocating from CT, and planning a trip to the Triangle area later this month.

Being without children by choice (no we are not mean child haters, just do not choose to be parents), and also not being religious, we feel like "outsiders" here in CT, where most people attend a church, and have lives that revolve around children. We have non-denominational beliefs, are avid animal philanthropists, and hope to support the arts (including children's access to the arts), in our future town of residence.

We are very interested in Cary in particular. We have a home software engineering business, and like close proximity to shopping, services, the airport, etc. We plan to rent a house if we like what we see during our visit, until knowing if the area is for us or not. We also are under the impression that there are abundant housing choices in the Triangle, for new or newer construction, if we want to stay and buy in the future.

Am I correct in my observation that there is such an influx of different cultures and people from all over that have relocated to the Triangle, that my concerns about not being religious are not a big issue? What about the non-parent thing? I welcome thoughts from all... seasoned citizens, and new transplants, on your degree of acceptance there in the Triangle.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,077,514 times
I don't think anyone cares one way or another in the Triangle on either point. It's easier to meet people if you're in a church and/or have kids, but that's the only negative. You'll be fine.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,406,746 times
We're empty nesters, non-religious and love living in Cary. I have several childless couples as neighbors. I don't think you will have any problem in Cary. Also, there is a meetup group of couples without children in the area. Look it up on
Meetup.com
Good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,908,362 times
I can't speak to Cary specifically, but agree with the above comments. Yes, NC is in the "Bible Belt" but there is also a fair bit of diversity here of all types - including religiosity.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 AM

387 posts, read 1,027,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and have been reading posts and getting the impression that the Triangle area is a wonderful place to relocate to. My husband and I are considering relocating from CT, and planning a trip to the Triangle area later this month.

Being without children by choice (no we are not mean child haters, just do not choose to be parents), and also not being religious, we feel like "outsiders" here in CT, where most people attend a church, and have lives that revolve around children. We have non-denominational beliefs, are avid animal philanthropists, and hope to support the arts (including children's access to the arts), in our future town of residence.

We are very interested in Cary in particular. We have a home software engineering business, and like close proximity to shopping, services, the airport, etc. We plan to rent a house if we like what we see during our visit, until knowing if the area is for us or not. We also are under the impression that there are abundant housing choices in the Triangle, for new or newer construction, if we want to stay and buy in the future.

Am I correct in my observation that there is such an influx of different cultures and people from all over that have relocated to the Triangle, that my concerns about not being religious are not a big issue? What about the non-parent thing? I welcome thoughts from all... seasoned citizens, and new transplants, on your degree of acceptance there in the Triangle.

Thanks!
My two cents are, it's not likely to be an issue an Cary. May be even less likely in west Raleigh (same side of Raleigh as Cary, but still in Raleigh). But you might want to stick to the area north of NCSU (south of NCSU there is a larger concentration of college students, especially undgergraduates). Based on your statement about wanting to be involved in local affairs, you may like this area. (Of course, people who are involved in local affairs live all over.) I've attached a map of the approximate area I'm talking about. The downside is that houses are on the pricey side there.
map.pdf

Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

521 posts, read 1,597,399 times
On behalf of the religious parents of Cary, I extend a warm welcome to you. Don't worry, there are many of you in town, and so far I haven't witnessed any uprisings or tire slashings.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,788,522 times
There should be no problem at all with either, unless you just happen to have busybody neighbors. Yes, Cary is probably the most child-centric area of the Triangle, but I'm sure there are neighborhoods less so.

You should contact Raleigh No Kidding, a local group for Childfree folks. Get on their email list even before you come down; it's a great way to find out about the many events! They have Happy Hours twice monthly, I believe, book clubs, and all kinds of other events...some are involved in animal rescue groups, even! I used to attend some of the events and still know a few of the regulars, and they are a super bunch of folks!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM

447 posts, read 1,716,794 times
Most people will not care. Come on down, join the sprawl!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,680,874 times
As long as your lawn is between 4" and 6" tall, you should be fine in Cary.

Seriously though, the bible-thumpers are being pushed out by the transplants and modern Southerners - its a progressive place and you'll love it.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:53 AM

502 posts, read 1,389,774 times
Thanks for your comments so far... you would be surprised here in our area how "childfree" and "non-churchgoer" can be mis-interpreted as: "you couldn't possibly have faith, be moral or have anything to contribute to this community". We don't mind being around children, as far as the neighborhood goes. In fact, as much as some cynical posters don't like Cary, and HOA's etc., where there are kids and HOA's there are also usually some positive rules and better neighborhood atmosphere. We found that out renting in a HOA community here as opposed to owning "out in the boondocks" where anything goes.

Cary sounds lovely... as does other parts of the Triangle... We are really looking forward to our visit. Thanks for the posts so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary