Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Doom and gloomers? I find the unemployment rates quite relevant since many economists find that the lowering of the unemployment rate is the first indicator of an economy becoming healthier.
really? i feel like it would be one of the last things to recover... oh well, i know nothing about economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Besides, I doubt it is a requirement of this forum that people have to read every thread that is posted. I am quite sure any person can pick and choose to read what he/she feels is important
very true some people just feel the need to reply to every post they have a thought about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:04 AM

519 posts, read 981,952 times
[quote=GucciLittlePiggie;7968078]really? i feel like it would be one of the last things to recover... oh well, i know nothing about economics.

I don't know much about economics either, so I have been reading up on the subject as much as I can. It seems that economists look at unemployment rates first, because a lower rate means that not only are people getting jobs, but they are also keeping them. These people then become productive and start purchasing goods, whether it is a home or a car or even just everyday items.

What is really amazing to me in all this reading is the importance of inflation. We actually want "some" inflation because that means the values of homes and properties are going up. The last thing we want is de-inflation where it takes more money to make something that is actually worth less by the time it is done.

(Sorry, I didn't want it to look like I was talking down to you. Economics is quite amazing to me and I like sharing.)

Old 03-20-2009, 06:38 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Employment is usually a lagging indicator. See Ahead of the Curve by Joseph H. Ellis for one basic overview. The general idea is businesses try to hold on to employees after things start getting bad, and then don't rehire until after things have started to improve. Google will return a lot more hits - economists love talking about things that don't pin them down to actual predictions.

But still, this latest report is cause for concern. The jump this year was twice the normal Dec - Jan seasonal bounce, and the rate is now double last January's. Seasonal effects don't explain that much of an increase.

For perspective, keep in mind that (ignoring the last 2 months of data from the current recession) the highest number on record since 1990 here was 6% during the peak of the dot-com implosion. Even so, these latest numbers put Raleigh in the middle of the pack - 171st out of 370 metro areas. Whether being "no better than much of the country" is good or bad is open to interpretation, but there's certainly no evidence that this area is doing better than most (as I've seen claimed multiple times in this forum).

And thanks for keeping this on-topic instead of feeding the trolls.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:55 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Up from 6.5% in December. Better than the rest of the state and country but we have still not hit bottom around here imo. Will get worse before it gets better.
OMJob or Jobless. What does it all mean Basel? Here is what it means in simple 1 person terms.

If employed rate is 0%
If unemployed rate is 100%

Any other numbers than those are for reference only and are there to sell something, papers, news stories, or low cost meals.

So we need to forget the masses numbers and focus on the individual number and 'WE' will all be better off for it!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
Can we please be done with this? I hardly need Uncle Torpedo to tell me what I can read and research for myself. If a question is asked by all means respond, but we REALLY don't need the play by play from you doom and gloomers about the unemployment rate and the housing market. Jeez!
If you think only questions should be posted here, then you must believe that those who post links mentioning "positive" things--such as this area's high growth rate--which people "can research for themselves", are also out of line, is this correct?

Some people like to have the information--be it good or be it bad--on the area to make informed decisions for themselves.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 PM

305 posts, read 713,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Oh No. More good news. What are the doom & gloomers going to do with all this good news happening?

Some companies hiring again :: WRAL.com

Raleigh, N.C. — The number of people looking for work doubled in recent months, but there may be hope. Job recruiters say some companies are starting to hire again.
You tell 'em CD.
The sky is falling because a few people have to shut off their HBO and order from the Dollar Menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary