Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 AM

120 posts, read 758,796 times

Advertisements

I've been meaning to ask for ages... Does anybody know what's happening to this stretch of road? Seems like the crews have been working at it forever and I can't figure out what their ultimate purpose might be.

Are they getting ready to completely redo this stretch of road? Widen it? Maybe one of you knows.

I drive this stretch almost every day, but I'm starting to get the feeling I'd better find some alternate routes. Is there someone at the city level I could call to find out what's planned for that bit of road? I'm really curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Widening. I believe the plan is as follows: First step is a temporary bridge onto which they can divert traffic from one direction (southbound I think) while they replace the existing bridge. Then traffic in the other direction (northbound) will be diverted onto the new bridge while that side is worked on (while the southbound traffic is still using the temporary bridge). Should be lots of fun. I noticed last night that they had 15-501 down to 1 lane in each direction for evening work.

http://www.newsobserver.com/161/story/693864.html (broken link)

Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,834 times
The state DOT is working simultaneously on three separate highway projects:

The main project is U-4012; it involves adding two additional lanes on US15-501 between Garrett Rd and Mt. Moriah Rd and widening the I-40 westbound exit ramp to accommodate an additional right turn lane. Here is a project map:
http://www.ncdot.gov/doh/preconstruc...urce/u4012.pdf

They are also working on project U-4009 which involves relocating the service road that runs parallel to US15-501 near Garrett Rd.
http://www.ncdot.gov/doh/preconstruc...urce/u4009.pdf

Finally they are working on project B-3450 which involves replacing two bridges on Garrett Road to the east of US15-501.

According to a construction progress report maintained on the state's website, the total cost for the project (all three parts) is $18.8 million, work began in October 2007, the project is about 33 percent complete and is expected to be 100 percent complete in August 2010.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:11 PM

120 posts, read 758,796 times
Default City Data Folks are Fantastic!

Once again, it's City Data Folks to the rescue. Why, oh, why did I wait so long to ask the question?? It looks like I'm definitely going to take the back roads whenever possible.

The maps were great and thanks, too, for the link to the article in the paper. It's nice to know that there's an end in sight (even if it is a year away). Both of those intersections (at Garrett and Mt. Moriah) are pretty unpleasant right now. Hopefully they'll be better once all the construction is over with.

Thanks again for the info. You guys are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary