U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,420 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved to durham several months ago and my oldest is graduating in June. I would like to have a party for him. We have a lot of older family members so I'm ruling out using an outside space-too hot that time of year. I would like to hire my own caterer but that knocks out some nice places that require you to use theirs. We expect 60 people to attend. I have reserved a neighborhood clubhouse that is really nice, but wanted a second option. Someone suggested the DAC building, but I haven't had a chance to make contact. This is going to be the same day of graduation on a weekday. I have budgeted $1500 -$2K for food/location/music. Our friend has agreed to act as dj for the event. Thanks for any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM

94 posts, read 163,749 times
Have you tried local restaurants/bars? Especially the ones that already have a dance floor since you are having a dj. I'm not from the area, so I can't really give you any suggestions, but I worked as an event coordinator at a large nighclub/restaurant and threw tons of events like you are describing. Also, since it is going to be midweek, you may ask for fees to be waived... just a thought. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,227,791 times
I'd recommend that you check with the city parks and recreation department. They have a variety of venues which they rent to the public for parties, weddings, reunions etc. They have everything from picnic shelters to a 600 person ballroom at a civic center. Spruce Pine Lodge is beautiful.

Durham, NC - City of Medicine (http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/parks/facilityandparkrentals.cfm - broken link)

Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,658,049 times
The Museum of Life & Science has various venues that might be an option: Facility Rental | North Carolina Museum of Life and Science

I've also heard good things about the Arrowhead Inn. North Carolina Wedding, Wedding Reception Raleigh North Carolina

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 AM

1,926 posts, read 5,574,652 times
I'll second Spruce Pine Lodge. Costs about 300-400 to rent for the evening, tough to beat the price and its a very pretty old building.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,082,795 times
I know you're in Durham, but the Carrboro Century Center (across from Weaver Street) is a beautful place. Has a stage and you can use your own caterer. The Carrboro Century Center . If I'm not mistaken the Carolina Theater has rental space above the theater as does the Durham Arts Council (not to be confused with the DPAC).

Last edited by hula; 03-21-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 AM

646 posts, read 1,913,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I'll second Spruce Pine Lodge. Costs about 300-400 to rent for the evening, tough to beat the price and its a very pretty old building.
It's rather far out there though. Very nice to be sure, a friend is having her wedding reception there soon, but it's out in the country to say that least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary