Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 PM

96 posts, read 302,290 times

Advertisements

I spent the whole day (9 hours total) today looking at several apartments that I had shortlisted via internet search, apartmentratings reviews (i know some good reviews are posted by staff), and suggestions from this forum. Here is the summary of my experience looking for 2-br apartments. All of them had pool, fitness center, business center, pool table, theatre, etc (some hightech, some okay). All of them offerred 2 months free on a 12 month lease. Some offerred 3% off for preferred employers.

1. Southpoint Village, Southpoint, Durham - Fairly new apts, gated community with ~200-250 units overall. We were shown a 1220 sqft 2br/2bth. Looked nice, but the living room+dining was oddly shaped. Otherwise, it looked nice. Located right accross southpoint mall, and many restaurents nearby. No washer/dryer in unit. Discounted rent $999 (3.5 stars)

2. Old Towne at Carpenter Village, Cary - Located in a very residential area (cookie cutter houses, town houses), with a lake nearby. We were shown a model apartment (Plymouth, 1122 sqft), which looked nice. It had a really ncie computer nook. The discounted rent is $975 with free washer/dryer in unit (3.5 stars)

3. Apts at Weston Lakeside, Cary - Fantastic scenic location by the Crabtree lake. (total ~250 units spread accross 3 buildings). Some apartments get lake view (premium), but you don't get a clear view of the lake as there are tall trees on blocking the view in almost all cases. The staff was very patient, and not pushy, in giving us all the details. They have elevators which is great (if you have kids, infants). Very new. We were shown a C1 model, which we really liked (~1080 sqft), which after discounts is being offerred for $834. Granite counter tops. It is located 1 mile from the Arboretum shopping centers, 3 miles from nearest Food Lion. Free W/D in unit as a part of move-in special (4.5 stars, not sure why I am subtracting half a star).

4. Bexley Park at Brier Creek - Great location with every store you can imagine within 1 mile radius). The complex has ~450 units. The apartment they showed us (Hamilton model, 1203 sqft) had a really wierd smell (probably previous tenants cooked some exotic food). The layout was good, but the smell was a turnoff. The carpet, although cleaned, looked old and looked like needed a new one. it looked like one of those that was built with lowest quality material available. They offerred a discount price of $807. No Washer/dryer in unit (2.5 stars, I would have given 3 stars if it weren't for that funky smell)

5. Preserve at Brier Creek - Great location with every store you can imagine within 1 mile radius). The complex has ~450 units. We were show two models. The Doral (1296 sqft) and the Monarch II (1448 sqft). They both were nice. They have two pools, which is nice for a apt community this large. The discounted rents were $850 and $990 respectively. No Washer/dryer in unit, but they have a common laundary facility (with ~5 washer/dryer units) Not enough for the entire community, but I guess many have their own w/d. (4.0 stars).

6. Exchange at Brier Creek - Great location with every store you can imagine within 1.5 mile radius). Total of about 275 units spread out on 4 buildings. Was told half of the units are empty. Scott Roof was the person that showed us the units. He is from the corporate side here to lease the units, heck of a salesman. He gave a lot of information, smooth talker, but not pushy. Very impressed. The common area are the best I've ever seen. Were shown 2 types of units (Stockholm, ~1200 sqft and Cayman, ~1225 sqft). The discounted prices were 899$ and $1000, respectively, very competitive with other apartments in the area. Loved the unique carpetting. Laminate counter tops - a little dissappointing for such high price, granite would have been nice. Teeny-tiny patio (~2 foot deep), wouldn't fit a chair. The patio area either faces a row of townhomes, elementary school, or other buildings. But, overall, very impressed. The only negatives are that there no washer/dryer in the unit, can rent it for ~32 bucks. No trash compactor on site, can pay for valen trash pickup. After the initial lease term, I expect the rent to go up much more than it would in other apartment complexes because of demand (4.5 stars with half star subtraction for lack of w/d and trash compactor).

I was going to check out Vista at the Park, Alexan Panther Creek in Cary and Courtney Estates at Brier Creek, but I didn't have time.

In sum, I am dangling between Weston lakeside and Exchange at BC. The former is tucked nicely in a quiet wooded area by the lake, hiking trails, bike paths, etc. The latter is conveniently located right next to shopping centers and restaurants. The lack of sufficient patio space and the fear of future rent increase at Exchange is pushing me toward Weston.

I hope this gives a rough idea for future apartment hunters in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM

114 posts, read 326,977 times
Default Apartments

I would definitely check out Vista at the Park, Great Apartments

Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 PM

107 posts, read 311,894 times
I have lived in Vista for about a month and I love it with just a few issues that are just common to apartment living

Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
If you want to save money and get lots of space, come see where we've rented for 5 lease terms.

The yuppie magnet areas rip you off. We're right by Triangle Town Center.

Supersized Living in North Raleigh - Northridge Crossings

Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,443 times
thanks for posting. However, I assume most of these had W/D hook-ups since that's the norm (well unless we are talking somewhere really old)? I'll be looking in a few weeks and I already have a W/D I just need a hook-up.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 AM

850 posts, read 4,740,666 times
You've looked at some great places, but there are so many more in those areas you've overlooked. Do you have more time to look around? If not, then I recommend Weston Lakeside. Fantastic management & beautiful community.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
You've looked at some great places, but there are so many more in those areas you've overlooked. Do you have more time to look around? If not, then I recommend Weston Lakeside. Fantastic management & beautiful community.
I did checkout Weston Lakeside, which is #3 on my list. And that is where I am planning to lease.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 AM

I did notice that there are several apartment communities around as I drove by.

My priorities were
(1) fairly new apartments
(2) would rather pay ~100 more to get into a newer apartment
(3) no complaints from previous tenants on the internet
(4) Not too many units in the apartment complex as these are place where the management and staff struggle to satisfy everyone, which ultimately results in tenants not happy with staff, and staff getting sick and tired of too many complaints
(5) Close to RTP (~10 mile radius)
(6) Not too far from shopping centers, grocery, etc (~5 mile radius)

I am married and have a 11 month old, so I wanted an apartment place that is nicely tucked inside that when I come home, I feel at peace. I would have chosen Exchange at Brier Creek or Preserve if I had been single in which case it would have been convenient and hip for me to live close to the stores and restaurants.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidodido25 View Post
I did notice that there are several apartment communities around as I drove by.

My priorities were
(1) fairly new apartments
(2) would rather pay ~100 more to get into a newer apartment
(3) no complaints from previous tenants on the internet
(4) Not too many units in the apartment complex as these are place where the management and staff struggle to satisfy everyone, which ultimately results in tenants not happy with staff, and staff getting sick and tired of too many complaints
(5) Close to RTP (~10 mile radius)
(6) Not too far from shopping centers, grocery, etc (~5 mile radius)

I am married and have a 11 month old, so I wanted an apartment place that is nicely tucked inside that when I come home, I feel at peace. I would have chosen Exchange at Brier Creek or Preserve if I had been single in which case it would have been convenient and hip for me to live close to the stores and restaurants.
Actually, many of the newer properties are built like junk. They throw a few glitzy features at you like garden tubs and skimp on all issues that really mean something such as insulation and heat pumps.

Look beyond the glitz.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,328 times
Thanks for posting that! I'm putting together a list of apartments for my husband to check out when he gets to NC in April, and threads like this help immensely. We'll move him into an apt. first of May, then when our house sells in IL, we'll move most of our furniture into temp. storage while I move into the apt. and THEN look for a house.

Do you know if any of those places offer less than a 12-mo. lease? I'm hoping to find a 6-mo. lease.

If a unit does not have w/d included, can they usually be rented? I'll need our w/d here in our current house, but I know hubby--he will NOT want to go to a laundry room

Thanks!
Tabby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary