Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM

360 posts, read 993,556 times

Advertisements

BuyDirectUSA.com Made in The USA, Buy American Made in the USA BuyDirectUSA.com Shop online find American Made has a pretty comprehensive listing of US companies, some of which have online stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,115,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
A small example of this, are my boots. I purchased a pair of hand made Danner boots, made in Portland Oregon in 1999. Incredible product! They are perfect boots, that still wear well today, do not leak and will last another 10 years. They breathe well are water proof and hand made from the highest, strongest quality leather in the US. They are designed to wear in and mold to your foot. Sure, I paid $250 for them.

I could have bought a pair that might look the same from the outside, made in China at Walmart for $49.95. They last 3-4 months. Do the math. Cheaper is not always cheaper. Not to mention there is something that feels great about wearing a high quality boot, made by real US citizens!
I paid over $250 20+ years ago for a Bell System Celebrity touchtone phone. Made in USA by unionized Western Electric workers.

Still used daily. Looks and works as new. Even the cords are still in great shape.

Compare with Chinese garbage that has a 2 year life.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM

65 posts, read 266,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If people would only reject Chinese trash, jobs would return too.
ok how? I'm in!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,115,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10ACE View Post
ok how? I'm in!
Try to find a non-Chinese article for your needs.

Contact mfr and retailer of Chinese items you pass by telling them why you didn't buy from them.

Enough might make an impression.

Contact legislators to urge removing favored trade status for China.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,963,195 times
How do you know if you have the drywall? Is it only if you're getting sick?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM

7,095 posts, read 4,700,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
BuyDirectUSA.com Made in The USA, Buy American Made in the USA BuyDirectUSA.com Shop online find American Made has a pretty comprehensive listing of US companies, some of which have online stores.
Thank you for the info!
toodie

Here are the signs of toxic drywall:

Killer Toxic Drywall Sheetrock Material from China Now Being Investigated in Florida, The Gulf States and New Orleans
What are the signs your house might have the potentially toxic imported Chinese dry wall?
  • First the house was built or remodeled between 2005 and 2008
  • The house has a strong or noticeable smell of sulphur or rotten eggs.
  • The home has experienced repeated air conditioning coil issues or corrosion
  • The home's occupants have experienced upper respiratory issues, nose bleeds, or other medical issues.
  • Young children or senior citizens may be the first to show signs of exposure to a home with the imported Chinese dry wall.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,963,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Thank you for the info!
toodie

Here are the signs of toxic drywall:

Killer Toxic Drywall Sheetrock Material from China Now Being Investigated in Florida, The Gulf States and New Orleans
What are the signs your house might have the potentially toxic imported Chinese dry wall?
  • First the house was built or remodeled between 2005 and 2008
  • The house has a strong or noticeable smell of sulphur or rotten eggs.
  • The home has experienced repeated air conditioning coil issues or corrosion
  • The home's occupants have experienced upper respiratory issues, nose bleeds, or other medical issues.
  • Young children or senior citizens may be the first to show signs of exposure to a home with the imported Chinese dry wall.
Thanks! Actually, our home was built 2004. It's scary though.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,359,709 times
I took the covers off some of my outlets to be sure. There is a copper ground wire than is run and is exposed along the length of the wire. If it's blackened that is a bad sign. Mine were not.

The house did have something replaced having to do with the a/c a few months after the original owners moved in but since then it has been trouble free. Hopefully we escaped this. This country is going to hell with crap imported from China.

Nothing against Chinese immigrants, they are some of the smartest, hardest working people here in America. Quite a few own their own successful business. Hopefully I didn't offend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary