Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times

Advertisements

Another problem North Americans must endure, regarding defective products manufactured in China. The list goes on and on, I see.

Some friends of mine are thinking about moving to this area from the NE and are considering new construction. Has anyone had an encounter with this drywall being used by builders in our area? I've never heard of this before, but read about here in CD.

Thanks for your info, if you have any, regarding local problems with this drywall.

Quote:
"It's scary, it's a nightmare. We think we are looking at the worst case of sick houses in U.S. history," Martin said.
Thomas Martin, president of America's Watchdog, says that in the past two weeks about a dozen Lower Mainland callers have all reported experiencing the same nose bleeds, breathing problems and allergy-type symptoms that have affected homeowners across the U.S."

Toxic Chinese drywall turning up in Canada (http://www.theprovince.com/news/Toxic%20Chinese%20drywall%20accused%20health%20pro blems%20Canada/1375255/story.html - broken link)

best,
Toodie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 PM

360 posts, read 995,671 times
I'm telling you, the Chinese are trying to kill us all I had a mug that would always get really hot in the microwave, so I had it tested for lead and sure enough it was sky high, and it was from China. I have a feeling this drywall story will become a big mess, because a lot of fast food restaurants use gypsum (the main ingredient in drywall) as a filler in their bread, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are getting their gypsum from China too. I wonder when we will finally wake up and realize enough is enough

Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Chinese crap appearing mainly in Florida.

Their hardware, lighting fixtures, and plumbing are garbage too.

When wii US people get a brain!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 PM

201 posts, read 611,580 times
Big problem in FL but it's also appearing in 40 other states. The belief is the high humidity in Fl is interacting with whatever crap the chinese manufactured the wallboard with. The noxious gases are not only making inhabitants sick but has a corrosive effect on copper wiring turning it black. New appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, ac units are turning into junk in a matter of months. This is big and will become bigger as more people realize what is making them ill.
Just came upon this and editing it in. http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/18/chi...ef=mpstoryview

Last edited by PaulieM; 03-21-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 PM

1,967 posts, read 954,118 times
I totally refuse to buy goods manufactured in China. When are we going to wake up and start to buy American, that is goods built in the United States. We need to support our own workers and build up our economy. Stop buying the low cost cr@p that is being shoved down our throats.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe530 View Post
I totally refuse to buy goods manufactured in China. When are we going to wake up and start to buy American, that is goods built in the United States.
It's nearly impossible to buy anything that doesn't have at least one component made, or otherwise handled somehow in China. The only way to end the problem is to bring back the tariff system, it worked for so many years, why we thought we could do better is beyond me

Old 03-22-2009, 07:03 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Chinese crap appearing mainly in Florida.

Their hardware, lighting fixtures, and plumbing are garbage too.

Greed makes one lose all common sense....

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

The Wii is foreign too.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
a lot of fast food restaurants use gypsum (the main ingredient in drywall) as a filler in their bread, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are getting their gypsum from China too.
bwuh?!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
bwuh?!
Oh Yeah! Remember a few years back when there was a gypsum, and therefore a drywall shortage? Well I read in the newspaper in a little tiny article buried deep that the fast food restaurants, particularly McDonalds were having trouble finding gypsum, which they use as a filler in their bread, apparently it's cheaper than flour. Consider that next time you're munching on a Big Mac Nothing better than eating drywall for lunch, I hear it's very filling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary