Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times

Advertisements

Hi There...
Potential soon-to-transplant Yankee just wondering why new single family properties don't seem to include the refrigerator. Wherever else I've been, contractors have put them in before selling the house. Just wondering why I see so many listings without them. Is it because they are the most expensive appliance and they don't want to shell out for it?

Also, am I correct that typically you have a crawl space instead of a basement? If so, why is this... is there a high water table or flood danger? Used to having a basement for storage and all the utilitiy mechanicals like water heater and furnace, etc.

Also, when there is no basement there, how do you control humidity in the house (especially during the spring/summer when you don't have heat or a/c running) since there is no dehumidifier running in the basement, as we have here up north?

Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Hi There...
Potential soon-to-transplant Yankee just wondering why new single family properties don't seem to include the refrigerator. Wherever else I've been, contractors have put them in before selling the house. Just wondering why I see so many listings without them. Is it because they are the most expensive appliance and they don't want to shell out for it?

Also, am I correct that typically you have a crawl space instead of a basement? If so, why is this... is there a high water table or flood danger? Used to having a basement for storage and all the utilitiy mechanicals like water heater and furnace, etc.

Also, when there is no basement there, how do you control humidity in the house (especially during the spring/summer when you don't have heat or a/c running) since there is no dehumidifier running in the basement, as we have here up north?

Furnaces are installed in closets, crawlspaces, attics, and garages. Same with water heaters. I like the garage, or a tall crawl space location for ease of access for maintenance.

Just curious
Technically, range and refrigerator are personal property, and do not convey value to the real property.
Builders need to protect the value of their investment, so many will offer to put a refrigerator in for you at additional cost, since it does not add appraisal value to the property.

Generally in the Raleigh area, ranges are expected, and refrigerators are negotiated. But unless added to the contract, the seller is well within their rights to remove any "portable" appliance. That would not apply to drop in ranges or cooktops and wall ovens.
Even if the MLS or sales listing says "range and refrigerator convey," I write them into the contract, "Range and refrigerator, at no additional value." "No additional value" is a nod to the appraiser and underwriters that they are personal property and not part of the appraised value of the real property.

Clear as mud?

Basements are available, but structurally unnecessary. Sub-grade living space does not appraise for as much value as above grade space.
We have a mix of conditions that make paying for a basement less desirable on many sites.
High water table, shallow frost depth that makes any excavation beyond 15" to 20" below grade an added expense are two considerations.
In the north, where you have to excavate at least 4, 5, or 6 feet below grade to avoid frost heave, you are nearly to basement depth already.
Basements here are on sloped lots, where you have a walk out door, a la "Walkout Basement," or "Daylight Basement."
You can find a basement, but be ready to pay $35,000 and up on comparable homes to have it.
Most buyers prefer the living space above grade to the expense.

I use AC to control humidity and vent the crawlspace to open air.
We just run more AC here than in the north. But it beats the heck out of 6 months of winter and dry hacking furnace air coughing, of course, IMO.
The crawl space humidity is no more an issue in the home than outside humidity.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 AM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Also, when there is no basement there, how do you control humidity in the house (especially during the spring/summer when you don't have heat or a/c running)
In the summer when you don't have the AC running? LOL! That doesn't happen much down here...it's gets HOT and stays that way. You are going to run the AC more in NC then you would anywhere up north.

We have a daylight basement in our home...and no need for a seperate dehumidifer.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I've lived in 4 states and in none of them was it common to sell the refrigerator with the house (new or resale). The only freestanding appliance typically included was the range.

As for basements, there's no need here to dig below a frost line for the foundation to avoid frost heave - footings can more or less sit on or slightly below the surface. Up north, since builders have to go down several feet anyway, it's not much of an extra cost to go the few feet extra to make a full basement. Here it would be a completely incremental cost. Many older houses here do have basements, however, as well as newer construction on sloping lots.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:57 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
Thanks for your replies...
I guess dollar-wise that does make sense not to dig a basement in your area. I am wondering then, where most of you like to store things like sets of luggage, sporting equipment etc. that you wouldn't want in the garage.... are useable attics common in new construction?

Here in CT and also in WI it is common to leave behind all kitchen appliances unless you were low income and had to take it out of economic necessity. Taking it with you I suppose has the added advantage of not having to clean out somone else's former refrigerator when buying a house. (Never a pleasant job!)

Perhaps if we do move down there we can sell the dehumidifiers on Ebay. We actually had two running in the basement all summer long in our last house. I would welcome not having to worry about a basement (emptying the dehumidifier buckets was a daily chore). I did notice that in pictures of new construction there are vents in the exterior walls of the house for the crawl space.

Very interesting how things are done in different areas of the country... thanks

In CT there are cooler summer days when you can have the windows open, esp. at night. I do like hot weather and don't mind the a/c though and with my allgergies that's the best choice anyhow.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:04 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
I guess dollar-wise that does make sense not to dig a basement in your area. I am wondering then, where most of you like to store things like sets of luggage, sporting equipment etc. that you wouldn't want in the garage.... are useable attics common in new construction?

Here in CT and also in WI it is common to leave behind all kitchen appliances unless you were low income and had to take it out of economic necessity. Taking it with you I suppose has the added advantage of not having to clean out somone else's former refrigerator when buying a house. (Never a pleasant job!)

Perhaps if we do move down there we can sell the dehumidifiers on Ebay. We actually had two running in the basement all summer long in our last house. I would welcome not having to worry about a basement (emptying the dehumidifier buckets was a daily chore). I did notice that in pictures of new construction there are vents in the exterior walls of the house for the crawl space.

Very interesting how things are done in different areas of the country... thanks

In CT there are cooler summer days when you can have the windows open, esp. at night. I do like hot weather and don't mind the a/c though and with my allgergies that's the best choice anyhow.
From what I can tell, a lot of people use the garage for storage around here, keeping cars on the street or in the driveway. I wouldn't do it, but some people cannot get past pack rat tendencies.

Bonus rooms, which are generally living space over the garages, are common here. They could theoretically be used for storage, but they make for nice living space as well. If you really want to make use of your house here, the best way is simply to cut down on the amount of stuff you have that needs to be "hidden away"!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
From what I can tell, a lot of people use the garage for storage around here, keeping cars on the street or in the driveway. I wouldn't do it, but some people cannot get past pack rat tendencies.
When we moved into our house, I told my husband I refused to do that. However, we do have a basement, so that helps with the storage. If we didn't have it, I would either use the attic or get rid of it. Aside from Christmas decorations, most of the stuff stored down there are things I'll suspect we'll never use. If we lived in a place more conducive to having a yard sale, I'd do that. I suppose one of these days I'll be either donating, freecycling or putting some ads on Craigslist.

Other than storage, our basement is mainly used as a workshop for my husband's PC repair business.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:37 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Most people I know have storage buildings. Great for Christmas decorations and the John Deere.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:49 PM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
Quote:
Now I have neither a garage nor a basement but a small storage building in the backyard where I put my outdoor stuff like a lawnmower, weed eater etc. I use the attic for other things.

Now when I bought my house the sellers opted to include the fridge but I told them to take it with them. It was old and this weird cream color. I bought a new stainless steal one. Now that I am selling the house and having to move into an apartment for the next two years I also am including the fridge in case the buyers want it. My home is smaller so it does appeal to a first time buyers who probably don't have a fridge.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
Most people have walk up attics for storage. I prefer this over a basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary