Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. From Spring through fall, about how many storms come through this way per season? Averages of course.

1. How many major storms, that might include tornado warning, severe thunder, etc.

2. How many light storms that might include a few passing by thunder clouds, etc.

Define your definition of what makes a storm light, versus severe. The storms we had late summer last year, included the most intense lightening I've ever seen, super loud thunder and tornado warnings in Cary. Would this be considered the extreme end of the spectrum, or just an average storm?

Last edited by CarolinaCowboy; 03-22-2009 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,711 times
It really is a crapshoot. Sometimes the weather patterns set so we get afternoon thunder storms rolling through almost every day. Sometimes a large Bermuda will set up and we will not get anything for weeks. The big ones last Summer you refer to are probably at the upper end of the spectrum, except when they're not. Tornado warnings aren't to uncommon, but I wouldn't be to worried. they often pass with no tornadoes touching down. Also we don't get those monsters they get in the Midwest (i.e. 1 mile across). I have never been really worried in 40+ years of living here, although I darn sure get the heck out of my attic (computer room) when the lighting cracks so loud overhead it makes you jump.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Don't stress too much over a tornado warning. It's not like Oklahoma where you get those massive ones that are wider than the town.

Most of the east coast gets tornado warnings. I live in upstate NY and we get them in the summer. I can count on one hand the number of actual tornadoes that have actually occurred here. There's a lot of straight line wind damage from nasty storms. Most of those storms are gone within an hour because they are moving so fast.

Our weather comes from the Great Lakes and the South. Mix that Southern humidity in with the cold air from the Great Lakes and there's some amazing storms.

Are you originally from the east coast or the Carolinas? I've been in NC during some fun summer weather. Didn't seem any worse than what happens here. There also isn't that annoying 3 pm shower like central FL gets every day. I'll never forget that from my trip to Disney. That was just strange. You could almost set your watch to it.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:52 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Don't stress too much over a tornado warning. It's not like Oklahoma where you get those massive ones that are wider than the town.

Most of the east coast gets tornado warnings. I live in upstate NY and we get them in the summer. I can count on one hand the number of actual tornadoes that have actually occurred here. There's a lot of straight line wind damage from nasty storms. Most of those storms are gone within an hour because they are moving so fast.

Our weather comes from the Great Lakes and the South. Mix that Southern humidity in with the cold air from the Great Lakes and there's some amazing storms.

Are you originally from the east coast or the Carolinas? I've been in NC during some fun summer weather. Didn't seem any worse than what happens here. There also isn't that annoying 3 pm shower like central FL gets every day. I'll never forget that from my trip to Disney. That was just strange. You could almost set your watch to it.
LOL i thought the SAME thing at disney. im like, wtf is this, part of the park's attractions? fwiw, i love a good summer storm. i don't really want a tornado or excessive wind damage, but i guess we do get the warnings up here in NY/MA also, and nothing ever really happens. also, i'd figure in a new, 4-story apt complex with no big trees around, i wouldn't really be in any danger... ;-)

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I'm curious. From Spring through fall, about how many storms come through this way per season?
Who counts and keeps track of this stuff?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
North Carolina Tornadoes

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/image...do_count_c.jpg

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/images/climate/tornadoes/tornado_injuries_c.jpghttp://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/images/climate/tornadoes/tornado_injuries_c.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary