U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 PM

81 posts, read 288,300 times

Advertisements

My children will be starting kindergarten in the fall at Forest Pines Elementary (part of the WCPSS). I looked on the district's website and was a bit disappointed in the end-of-year scores compared to many of the other elementary schools in the district.

Does anyone out there have children who attend Forest Pines and could give me some insight into the school? Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 PM

12,449 posts, read 30,267,725 times
Although the scores are a good indicator of what is going on in a particular school, I'd suggest you visit and see what your opinions are.

Vicki

Old 03-25-2007, 10:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,080,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xochousewife View Post
My children will be starting kindergarten in the fall at Forest Pines Elementary (part of the WCPSS). I looked on the district's website and was a bit disappointed in the end-of-year scores compared to many of the other elementary schools in the district.

Does anyone out there have children who attend Forest Pines and could give me some insight into the school? Thanks so much!
You know this is a new school right? It is finally moving into it's building this year (it was temporaraly housed at a modular campus in Wake Forest last year). What are the scores being compared to?

I know several parents whose kids went to it and they came to love the teachers and staff (who are all moving to the new school)....which was good after all the drama and lawsuits of the Wakefield parents.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Drama and lawsuits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You know this is a new school right? It is finally moving into it's building this year (it was temporaraly housed at a modular campus in Wake Forest last year). What are the scores being compared to?

I know several parents whose kids went to it and they came to love the teachers and staff (who are all moving to the new school)....which was good after all the drama and lawsuits of the Wakefield parents.

Oh, do tell! I'll try to avoid the soap opera. I'm glad to hear the parents you know have been happy with the teachers & staff. Yes, I know it's a new school, but when you see that only 62% of 3rd graders passed the math test at the end of the year, you begin to wonder. Test scores are only part of the picture, I know. It's just scary moving across country, not knowing anyone, and hoping you're doing the best thing for your family.
Thanks for your input.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 AM

906 posts, read 2,250,910 times
I have several friend who are at Forest Pines this year and they really love it. It is about to move into a brand new building this summer so it will be even better. I think that one of the reasons that the score were so low is because a lot of people wouldn't send their kids there in the first place.

Forest Pines is currently in a modular campus on the grounds of the DuBois Center in Wake Forest. When families were first assigned there, they complained that the area around the DuBois Center was unsafe and 'ghetto'. Many of them sent their kids to private school or to magnets, but they are slowly coming back. I would imagine that when the new building opens, even more of them will come back.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:07 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,600,197 times
I know of a family that is going to send their kids there- they are in private now. They did not want to send the kids to a modular school far away from Wakefield Plantation, and in a "bad" neighborhood. Now they are under a mile away from the school, which is right next to WF Plantation, so they are happy.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I know of a family that is going to send their kids there- they are in private now. They did not want to send the kids to a modular school far away from Wakefield Plantation, and in a "bad" neighborhood. Now they are under a mile away from the school, which is right next to WF Plantation, so they are happy.
Bad is relative...there have been no problems with that school being in that area.

I admit, I wouldn't want to live in that part of Wake Forest, but it was thinly disgused racism on the parents who started the law suits not to allow their kids to go to school in a self contained campus in the area. They jjust didn't want their children to see that poverty exists.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I feel much more secure about sending my twins to Forest Pines. Looking forward to it, even. It will be fun to be in a brand new school building and close to home. I'm sorry to hear that parents were afraid to send their kids there because of it being in a "bad" area. I visited the school in February (in the Dubois Center) to pick up registration forms while I was in the area and it was clean, well-maintained, and seemed pleasant enough, so when I saw the scores online, I had some concerns. Thanks again for putting my mind at ease.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:05 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,600,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Bad is relative...there have been no problems with that school being in that area.

I admit, I wouldn't want to live in that part of Wake Forest, but it was thinly disgused racism on the parents who started the law suits not to allow their kids to go to school in a self contained campus in the area. They jjust didn't want their children to see that poverty exists.
I agree with you... I wanted my son to go miles away, to Ligon, in SE Raleigh, but he did not get in. So, my criteria for a good school are different that those of the Wakefielders I was describing. These individuals, in speaking with me, based their rejection of the school on lack of proximity rather than the race ofthe people in the neighborhood, but, hey, I "got it"

Old 03-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I agree with you... I wanted my son to go miles away, to Ligon, in SE Raleigh, but he did not get in. So, my criteria for a good school are different that those of the Wakefielders I was describing. These individuals, in speaking with me, based their rejection of the school on lack of proximity rather than the race ofthe people in the neighborhood, but, hey, I "got it"
I am sorry he didn't get into Ligon. That is disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary