Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times

Advertisements

Or does this area even have an identity?

There is the RTP component, State Capitol, and the Cult of Cary but most cities are readily identifiable by something, be it good or bad.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Or does this area even have an identity?

There is the RTP component, State Capitol, and the Cult of Cary but most cities are readily identifiable by something, be it good or bad.

Any thoughts?
Ah...Raleigh is the State Capital. Not sure I get your question.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
I would say before the techie-boom of RTP and such in the 90s, Raleigh's "identity" as you call it, was definitely thoroughly based on it being the state capital. (Plus, perhaps, the home to NCSU.)

Now, however, it is definitely grown beyond that...a part of the Triangle, with RTP, Durham, & Chapel Hill....a technological center and now biological/chemical/pharmaceutical center as well.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I'd say that Raleigh's popularity grew when IBM started RTP.

Now Raleigh/Cary, etc. seems to be well known for just being a great place to raise a family. Although we are usually on alot of the TOP 10 places to live lists for different reasons, families seem to thrive here.

Vicki

Old 03-26-2007, 09:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
I would say RTP and lots of suburban lifestyle/sprawl.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 AM

45 posts, read 212,994 times
I'm not sure I can help much as far as describing Raleigh's identity, but just wanted to clarify that Research Triangle Park (RTP) and IBM as one of its first tenants are not in Raleigh but rather in Durham.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 AM

250 posts, read 1,245,983 times
I've often heard Raleigh being advertised as a "city within a park". I've copied this from some promtional materials on Raleigh:

"With over 46 miles and 3,000 acres of greenways, our 'city within a park' has plenty of open space for everyone."

Raleigh does expend significant resources in park acquisition, recreational programming, and maintenance.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,509 times
When I came to this area five years ago I had to describe Raleigh to family and friends back home. It was difficult.

I would begin by commenting on its place in the country and state. Borderline southern. Coastal state with a mid-Atlantic feel. Lots of transplants from the north-east and west. State capital. One of the three metropolitan regions in the piedmont. Mid-way between the mountains and the beaches.

Then I would describe the Triangle as a whole not solely the city of Raleigh. I would mention the universities and the evolution of the RTP. I would also comment on the decentralized nature of the area and the benefits of being close to Durham and Chapel Hill etc.

Lastly I would focus on Raleigh itself. I would admit that this was a good place to live but not really a city for visitors. Certainly there were some attractions but no real city vibe or wow factor. Below the surface image of bland and boring I did find elements of quirkiness and inspiration. I adore the whimsy of some of the older houses. I was charmed by the flying giraffe mural at city market. I smile whenever I think of the giant acorn in Moore Square. I also like the 'City of Oaks' and "City within a Park" titles. Preferable to a 'Concrete Jungle'.

Currently I think of Raleigh as a tween on the verge of adolescence. It is a city that is still in the process of establishing an identity. There is a desire to be like the big cities. There is growth. There is a gathering energy and excitement.

Check out the link below to see the new city logo. The Downtown Raleigh Alliance have divided downtown Raleigh into five unique districts: Moore Square, Fayetteville Street, Warehouse, Capital and Glenwood South. I think this initiative bodes well for the future of the city.

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/abo...s-new-logo.cfm

Old 03-27-2007, 08:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMAdvisor View Post
I'm not sure I can help much as far as describing Raleigh's identity, but just wanted to clarify that Research Triangle Park (RTP) and IBM as one of its first tenants are not in Raleigh but rather in Durham.
Let me clarify...when IBM moved into RTP, the areas of Cary and North Raleigh grew and became more expensive due to the IBMers moving to the area.

Even though RTP is in Durham, I'm not sure it really helped Durham.

Do you agree?

Vicki

Old 03-27-2007, 05:58 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Snowpea, that was a fantastic post! After mulling it over, IMHO you have it nailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary