Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM

162 posts, read 734,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Chapel Hill definitely has its share of jaw droppers. I personally know two families with kids who scored over 1500 on their SATs in the 8th grade (who takes the SAT in the fricking 8th grade anyway). Both kids operate on a different level...of course it doesn't hurt that the two sets of parents have 4 PhDs and 2 MDs between them, along with 3 tenured faculty positions, but these kids are even still at a different level than their siblings. I don't think you have too much to worry about with your kid being in a class of his own. Rather, you may need to worry about your kid not being considered "gifted", and only being considered "bright," and figure out how you are going to cope with that.

Seriously, you seem to be worked up about alot of nothing here. There will be plenty of resources available at Chapel Hill schools for "gifted" as well as only "really bright" kids. There's also huge amount of resources available to you in this area if you want to develop your childs interest in science outside the schools, most notably summer science camps at the Museum of life and science and at local universities, and ample opportunities to work in science labs at Duke and UNC in high school. And of course, the most valuable resource available to your kid is you.
Well I am not worked up, just concerned that he will face the same stuff he had to when he attended public school fro K-2nd grade. They could do nothing for him, he was so bored & when he started correcting his 2nd grade teacher he was sent to the principals office. The other kids gave him heck for "knowing all the answers" so his life was pretty rough then schoolwise. That's why we put him into a gifted private school for 3rd & 4th grade & he has been doing so well, comes home so happy, he is challenged & interested...etc etc..anyway I am getting off topic.

Thanks for your post reply. I will look into summer programs/camp too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water_dancing View Post
CH/C does have a true gifted program-LEAP. It isn't just busy work. Kids in this program work about 2 grade levels ahead of their same grade peers. However they are with same aged peers. Check out the CHCCS website for more info.
5Disneyfans, if you are interested in LEAP for the fall, check the calendar on the website as there is only one more application deadline.
We needed a CH address to register him for next fall...we close on our new house next week so can get that taken care of & hopefully we can get him into LEAP. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Disneyfans View Post
That's dissapointing to hear that the gifted program is just busy work & he'll probably be bored. Jeez. We thought CH offered a true gifted program for kids who are not "normal"..I really hope its more than busy work. And where do I find mentors for him? Is that something I could call the colleges for? How frustrating.
I'm sorry, my reply was misleading. I know nothing about the Chapel Hill programs. I was just relaying my experiences of the Seattle system I was in. Chapel Hill may indeed be good, but for those that are truly special, I doubt it. Sorry for any confusion.

I would look through the Bios of Profs at UNC and find someone that has interesting research - like genetics or cell biology or quantum mechanics - then just e-mail the Prof and explain that you have a young, gifted child that is interested in that area of science or research and if possible could they meet with him. I've never heard of, or seen, a Prof turn down a request like this. They may be busy and pawn him off on a grad student or Post Doc, but even they will be able to show him around and explain what they do, and why. It never hurts to ask. Another idea is to e-mail the department head/chair and again explain the situation and ask if they could recommend someone in their department to help out.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 AM

Those are some great suggestions, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
I'm sorry, my reply was misleading. I know nothing about the Chapel Hill programs. I was just relaying my experiences of the Seattle system I was in. Chapel Hill may indeed be good, but for those that are truly special, I doubt it. Sorry for any confusion.

I would look through the Bios of Profs at UNC and find someone that has interesting research - like genetics or cell biology or quantum mechanics - then just e-mail the Prof and explain that you have a young, gifted child that is interested in that area of science or research and if possible could they meet with him. I've never heard of, or seen, a Prof turn down a request like this. They may be busy and pawn him off on a grad student or Post Doc, but even they will be able to show him around and explain what they do, and why. It never hurts to ask. Another idea is to e-mail the department head/chair and again explain the situation and ask if they could recommend someone in their department to help out.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,047 times
Not to be snide, but how do you know your son will qualify for the LEAP program? Like Lake Whoabegone (sic) of Prarie Home Companion fame, all the Chapel Hill kids are "above average" to begin with and LEAP is for the very creamiest of the already cream of the crop.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Not to be snide, but how do you know your son will qualify for the LEAP program? Like Lake Whoabegone (sic) of Prarie Home Companion fame, all the Chapel Hill kids are "above average" to begin with and LEAP is for the very creamiest of the already cream of the crop.
Well if he doesn't than I do not know anyone who would. I am not just talking as a "proud mama". This is just the way he was made. He has been reading & writing before he was a year. His last IQ test has him less than 1% of the population. Without going on & on.... he is the creamist of the crop.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Disney, I'll let you in on a little secret: Shhhh, don't tell anyone (especially the folks in Cary), but ..... not everyone in Chapel Hill schools is above average. Let's just keep that between you and me, okay?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM

55 posts, read 144,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Disney, I'll let you in on a little secret: Shhhh, don't tell anyone (especially the folks in Cary), but ..... not everyone in Chapel Hill schools is above average. Let's just keep that between you and me, okay?
LOL.

Disney, you're son sounds soooo much like my dd1. We have had many of the same challenges with a mainstream classroom. We were so excited when she qualified for the LEAP program. As a PP alluded to, there is a very narrow qualification window. The thresholds are listed on the website. If you have already done testing, they may be able to be used for the placement tests.

Best wishes with your move and with getting school taken care of.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Ok, I'll keep it under my hat!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water_dancing View Post
LOL.

Disney, you're son sounds soooo much like my dd1. We have had many of the same challenges with a mainstream classroom. We were so excited when she qualified for the LEAP program. As a PP alluded to, there is a very narrow qualification window. The thresholds are listed on the website. If you have already done testing, they may be able to be used for the placement tests.

Best wishes with your move and with getting school taken care of.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary