Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:29 PM

113 posts, read 342,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darman1484 View Post
I actually did a section about 75 * 20 today which was some clay and mostly backfill full of rocks. I tilled it once, picked up rocks, tilled it again, picked up rocks, dropped a yard of soil conditioner (should have used 2 or 3), lime and grass seed, tilled it, raked, laid grass seed and raked again. All told it took probably 8 hours over two days. Not terribly difficult. What I learned was the more you till, the better the soil gets. Over and over and over in my case.
About how much did it cost? lust curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM

211 posts, read 612,197 times
Well, the lime was about $3, the seed about $25 (but I probably used only half) and the soil conditioner was $24/yard (1 yard).
So in total, ~40.
The tiller is mine, so that was free, other than gas and time.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 AM

113 posts, read 342,990 times
i have a drop in my back yard does anyone know how much fill dirt is? Probably about half a dump truck load!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM

158 posts, read 471,810 times
I would check craigslist. Sometimes you can find people giving fill dirt away for free. You should however make sure the dirt doesn't have stumps in it.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,944,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions! If I wasn't clear earlier, the part of my back yard would be used for planting grass. It's currently on a slight slope. NRG, I'm thinking that it may be building backfill as there are a lot of stones in this particular part of my yard. My goal would be to till this up now, remove the stones, add some organic matter, let it settle and plant at the end of the season.
Another possible alternative since you are doing it for seeding is:

Go to a couple of local construction sites and see if you can find someone who will bring some soil in and even it out. You might be able to get it done for a couple of hundred bucks. If you go with a landscaping company it will be a lot more. I have a mini tiller and used it to prepare my back yard for seeding and garden plots. You are getting a lot of good suggestions. Remember it you rent a large tiller you will still have to even the resulting work out if you want to seed a lawn. You have a lot of good suggestions and may want to add gypsum to the mix.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,225,391 times
These guys might be worth checking out for some who are looking to till a large garden: Time To Get Your Garden And Yard Ready (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/1093822232.html - broken link)

Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM

715 posts, read 1,032,997 times
I tilled up part of our rocky, clay backyard last year for an enlarged flower garden. We have a rotary tiller that attaches to the 3 point hitch/rear power-take-off shaft on our diesel tractor, so it went well. There were alot of small to mid sized rocks getting kicked up and making a racket. The key was setting the skids high, so that the tines dug low enough to get a good till. If the skids or setting is too high, you might not break the soil up as much as you'd like.

I just ripped the soil on our veggie garden area yesterday right after the rains (too wet; it was more like mud-bogging than anything else!--but fun as heck) and look to till some manure and topsoil in once it dries out sufficiently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary