Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times

Advertisements

Anyone shop at The Fresh Market? I haven't tried it since we moved to Cary but my in-laws swear by it in Hendersonville. Of course, they are in Hendersonville so it's not like choices abound .

http://www.freshmarket.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
My husband and I are house hunting right now and ... well, I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I told him I'm unwilling to live more than 20 minutes away from A Southern Season! I just love that place too much. It can be pricey, of course (it is a gourmet market, after all) but just walking around the store & eating the free samples makes me so happy that I simply must have it near me.

Maple View Farms is another one of those places that brings me great happiness. There's nothing like going to the original location, getting an ice cream cone, and enjoying it while sitting in one of the rocking chairs on the front porch. I think they're having a big tour of their farm during the weekend of April 21st & 22nd. There should be info on the Weaver Street Market site. Sounds like a great activity for the family.

Can you tell I'm a bit of a foodie?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
My brother lives in wakefield and we went to the super Wal Mart near his house (no clue what street) and I thought it was really nice. One stop shopping for a busy mommy is great. They even had deli, produce and meat. None of the WMarts in the midwest have that at all (or target either).

Like Harris Teeter a lot but no deals to be had.
There are deals at HT, but it may just not be on things you need. I got good shrimp for 3.99 a pound, baby back ribs for 2.99 a pound and they have the same price for milk as every other store. Also, our favorite wine was on sale this week. Their house-brands are quite good, and the house brand frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts are normally a good price.

The closest Wal-mart to Wakefield (much of it at least) is at Wake Forest....too bad it's not in Wakefield - they could have it. The meats there are shipped in (no meat cutting/butcher on site) so they are sprayed with a 'solution' containing formaldehyde among other things to give them a longer shelf life. Hardly quality meat. It's also made the traffic patterns on that end of South Main a nightmare at times. Prices are really no cheaper either...if you shop wisely at other retailers.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:20 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times
[quote=Desdemona123;500978]
The meats there are shipped in (no meat cutting/butcher on site) so they are sprayed with a 'solution' containing formaldehyde among other things to give them a longer shelf life. Hardly quality meat. QUOTE]

eeeew.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
[quote=mcfamilyof4]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123
The meats there are shipped in (no meat cutting/butcher on site) so they are sprayed with a 'solution' containing formaldehyde among other things to give them a longer shelf life. Hardly quality meat. QUOTE]

eeeew.
Exactly....Wal-mart is no bargin once you get past their marketing hype.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Default WalMart

WalMart fired all their meat cutters when they tried to unionize.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
MrsSteel,

I'm a foodie too so any information about sources of great food in the Triangle is more than welcome. I am looking forward to finally being settled there so I can start cooking!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
There are deals at HT, but it may just not be on things you need.
Oh so true! They have great seafood specials, you just need to watch the weekly ad for them. For example, I've gotten fresh tilapia fillets there for $2.99/lb and they currently have snow crab leg clusters for $3.99/lb - unheard of! They also often run 2 for 1 specials on other items. HT can be higher priced on some staples though, so you just have to figure it all balances out if you shop the specials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123
Prices are really no cheaper either [at walmart]...if you shop wisely at other retailers.
I've actually been running a price comparison for a few of my last grocery runs, mainly between SuperWMart at Brier Creek and the Lowe's Foods off of Ebeneezer Church and Glenwood, a few things from Harris Teeter and the odd bag of chips or so from Food Lion. So far, Wal-Mart prices are winning no contest on most staples such as Tropicana orange juice, which is almost $1.50 more at Lowe's, even on sale with the rewards card. That said, I don't really like getting meats at Wally World either, but for most of the other stuff, it really shaves a lot off my bill for the same brands I can get anywhere, which is important to me right now.

If budget was of no concern, I'd probably shop at Harris Teeter all the time. Their stores really are great and I love the meat and seafood departments. The staff is always friendly and helpful.

The Lowe's Foods that I shop is relatively new, the staff is very friendly, and it's never crowded. I consider it my main grocery store because it is close to where I live and I can get most everything there. Their prices also seem pretty good on most items if you have the rewards card (you pretty much have to have rewards cards for all the grocery stores here to not get upcharged).

Kroger, hm. I haven't shopped there much, but they seem to be OK.

Food Lion - I could walk to one from my home, but I don't go there unless I absolutely must! The meat case is a disaster! Not to mention, from what I can tell, they are pricier than even Lowe's Foods for less quality...

Honestly, I can't stand the rewards card systems. You are really not saving much money, it just looks like you are because they jack the regular prices up in order to offer the specials on the card, ugh. Great marketing strategy, not so great for my wallet.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 AM

425 posts, read 1,256,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Anyone shop at The Fresh Market? I haven't tried it since we moved to Cary but my in-laws swear by it in Hendersonville. Of course, they are in Hendersonville so it's not like choices abound .

http://www.freshmarket.com/
Yes i have, and I have to STAY away from this store. It's expensive and has every little snack and goodie that I could possibly want!!! I will go in there for a special treat, but certainly not for my every day shopping - LOL!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Although I like Harris Teeter I find their prices much higher than their counterparts. I won't set foot in a Food Lion. Still love Trader Joes for certain things. whole Foods can't be missed for produce. I think super Target has good prices. Can't stand Walmart (went once and everything had an expired date on it so never went again) Kroger is not too close to us but it is an average store. I believe they are owned by Safeway (out west) so many of their brands are familiar to me. The Lowes here is clean and well stocked. I buy all my meat from Costco as well as many other items. What I can't get at Costco I usually can find at BJs. I am still trying to get used to the different name brands out here compared to out west. No Foster Farms chicken instead it is Perdue. I don't care for it as much.Little things like that keep throwing me for a loop. I am not good at trying new things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary