Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Yes, I'm just in a pissed off mood this AM and I'm trying to avoid doing any real work.

I will say however, that the lack of a city center and public transportation makes me hesitant to move to the Triangle.

Are these threads searchable? I'm looking for info on the TTA rail and I don't want to start a thread if one is already available.
The forums are searchable go to the top of the page header and you will see a blue line with 'my settings', 'new posts', 'search', 'quick links' and 'log out'. You can serch from there.

Yes, public transportation is not great around here (outside the Chapel Hill bus system)...and while the rail system has many supporters, it has even more that feel it's a waste of money and would go unused. I don't think we are going to see any real progress on that for some years to come.

What are you looking for in a city center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 PM

193 posts, read 245,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
The forums are searchable go to the top of the page header and you will see a blue line with 'my settings', 'new posts', 'search', 'quick links' and 'log out'. You can serch from there.
Thanks. Don't know how I missed that.

Quote:
What are you looking for in a city center?
My wife and I are looking to live/work/shop/party within a 5 - 10 mile radius and we'd prefer a neighborhood with some character. Carrboro would be great but it is kind of isolated. The historic neighborhoods in Raleigh and Durham are appealing but since my wife will be working in RTP she'll have to drive.

I saw the TTA rail map and thought that it would be a good solution for her, but if that doesn't come to fruition at least her job offers flextime and telecommuting so she should be able to work around the traffic.

BTW we are DINKS...for a few more years anyway.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
My wife and I are looking to live/work/shop/party within a 5 - 10 mile radius and we'd prefer a neighborhood with some character. Carrboro would be great but it is kind of isolated. The historic neighborhoods in Raleigh and Durham are appealing but since my wife will be working in RTP she'll have to drive.

I saw the TTA rail map and thought that it would be a good solution for her, but if that doesn't come to fruition at least her job offers flextime and telecommuting so she should be able to work around the traffic.

BTW we are DINKS...for a few more years anyway.
My wife and I moved here in a very similar boat. We chose the neighborhoods of Durham in part due to TTA for the future. As it is, she'll be commuting to RTP by car this summer. She hates to drive (was a big transit user in Boston) but is "OK" with it. Still, we are able to walk/bike to shops and restaurants frequently, which is nice. If I don't have meetings that require me to use my car, I sometimes walk to work in downtown Durham, too.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillisfla View Post
Thanks for all of the helpful information. We are really looking forward to our next visit and really hope to zero in on a few neighborhoods that we can focus our search on. With that in mind I was wondering if anyone knows of neighborhoods/builders that are better than others. Some of the communities that we have been considering online are Bishop's Grant, Bowling Green, Dansforth, Thornrose & Twin Creeks. Thanks again everyone for the input. It is very helpful! It's always easier to ask people that live there than to try and go off of pictures on the internet.

We ended up buying a house in Dansforth recently. We loved the neighborhood and the lots there seem to be bigger than most of the other subs. (Ours is 1/2 acre and backs up to woods owned by the subdivision so nobody can build within 400 feet of our house in the back.)

The builder was EXCELLENT to work with. Anne in the sales office was great. I cannot say enough positive things about Centex after going through the process with them. We closed from out of state (sent my Dad to do it with a power of attorney) and they handled everything great.

We also looked at Thornrose which openly connects to Dansforth. They have nice models but seemed to be more expensive than the comparable Dansforth models even though they say "everythings included." (Which is true - but that makes for a higher base price.) The houses in Thornrose seemed to be more jammed together and on smaller lots from what I could tell. Very nice area, though, just Dansforth met our needs better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary