Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,742 times

Advertisements

So I have been looking at many of the new home builders int he area and starting to look at res-sale houses as well. I have a question though.. are basements just not common in NC.. seems that many do not have any finished or not?! Where I live currently it would be a rarity to not have a basement.. so that is something that I am used to and am looking for. Am I just not looking in the right spot??

Thanks from a newbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM

146 posts, read 690,103 times
This question comes up a lot on this forum, so you can probably search and see plenty of thoughts on it. The bottom line is that yes - basements are much more rare in NC than other parts of the country, but they're not impossible to find. Usually, builders will do a basement if the lot is such that it allows for a walkout/daylight basement.

Instead of basements, a lot of homes have walkup attics that can be finished, and they can be huge (yes, with tall ceilings). Basically, you can think of it as still having a basement, except it's on top of the house instead of underneath it

Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM

45 posts, read 177,780 times
I am from the mid-west where basements are common as well. I noticed the shortage of homes with basements. The way my realtor explained it to me is that they aren't common although you can find them in older and newer high-end homes (usually a custom option). Bonus rooms & attics seem to be the alternative to basements which are usually on the 2nd or 3rd floor of homes and provide extra space as well as added storage. Hope this helps

Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,648,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForMe View Post
So I have been looking at many of the new home builders int he area and starting to look at res-sale houses as well. I have a question though.. are basements just not common in NC.. seems that many do not have any finished or not?! Where I live currently it would be a rarity to not have a basement.. so that is something that I am used to and am looking for. Am I just not looking in the right spot??

Thanks from a newbie
There just aren't many of them around. We found ours in Wake Forest but settled for an unfinished daylight basement.

Many of our friends from work down here thought we were nuts that we wanted both a garage and a basement.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,183,324 times
There are certain neighborhoods that tend to have basements. Mostly the lots are slanted so that you don't even see the basement from the front.

One of these neighborhoods is Long Lake in North Raleigh. Oh my gosh...I have a listing with a basement in there!!!

Vicki

Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,656,988 times
We, too, were used to basements up north. It was explained to us that basements and the soil here (clay) do not do well together. I saw a couple homes with basements and they smelled musty. I'd be concerned about water problems and mold (mold topic just raised in another thread). I'm happy to be without the basement, as we have plenty of attic storage.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,912,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForMe View Post

Thanks from a newbie
Yep...not to many basements in NC. I am from the midwest, too, and LOVE having my "man cave" as my wife calls it. It was one of the sacrifices I had to make when we moved to Raleigh. We bought a house with a finished 3rd floor bonus room so I plan to restore my man cave at some point in the future.

We did look at some houses with basements but they were generally on slanted lots and we didn't like that. Not a fan of steep driveways or lawns, and it also meant a big staircase from your back deck onto the backyard lawn.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 PM

133 posts, read 710,098 times
"Man cave"...too FUNNY!!!

BTW - don't mean to sound sooo ignorant, but what's the diff between daylight and walkout. I "think" I understand, but could you clarify...thanks!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,648,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Yep...not to many basements in NC. I am from the midwest, too, and LOVE having my "man cave" as my wife calls it. It was one of the sacrifices I had to make when we moved to Raleigh. We bought a house with a finished 3rd floor bonus room so I plan to restore my man cave at some point in the future.

We did look at some houses with basements but they were generally on slanted lots and we didn't like that. Not a fan of steep driveways or lawns, and it also meant a big staircase from your back deck onto the backyard lawn.
It all depends...I have a sloped lot/daylight basement....but the flatest driveway and front yard in the neighborhood. It took some looking though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary