Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,101 times

Advertisements

I bought a non-refundable plane ticket to Raleigh for a job interview that I'm no longer interested in, and now I'm trying to make the best of it. I'm flying into Raleigh on Saturday and am basically planning to wing it for four days, with at least one visit to the ocean. Any suggestions on where I should visit?

FYI: I'm a well-traveled writer who likes good simple food, live music, architecture, farmers markets and vibrant cities like Austin, Portland and Paris. I'm also a 30-something gal traveling alone, on a budget. Thanks for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM

17 posts, read 48,334 times
I am not sure you are coming from but you can start by going to Visit Raleigh, North Carolina! Official Tourism Site - Raleigh Hotels, Attractions, Events and more! :: for all the attractions in the area. Have a good time

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
Most of the museums downtown are free, so you could spend a day walking around downtown. On your way to the shore, swing by the Carolina Outlets for some great deals.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
If you're going to visit the beach overnight, I suggest going to the Wrightsville Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort on Wrightsville Beach very near the city of Wilmington.

Money-saving tip: Stay over on a Sunday night (just one Sunday night) and reserve it through Hotwire; be sure to select the 3-star hotel on Wrightsville Beach. That will get you the Wrightsville Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. Usually, hotels can't easily fill just one Sunday night, so it's usually much less expensive than other nights or even staying there for two nights including Sunday.

It's right on the beach and nice. Ask for a beachfront view; but the other side (sound side) is very pretty, too. The money-saving tip worked for us last year; I'm assuming it's still a good deal, especially in this economy. Check regular rates first. I like it because it feels like a vacation, even if for only a day. We were told we could check in much earlier than the stated check-in time, too (and this was the middle of summer). Have breakfast there, and enjoying looking at the ocean, and be kind to the servers who sometimes don't get everything right.

Wrightsville Beach is only two hours away, so it's the closest beach to Raleigh. If you want to see other areas, you can drive around the small city of Wilmington which is just a few short miles south of Wrightsville Beach. Check Wilmington websites for stuff to do.

If you like Farmer's Markets, you might like the NC Flea Market as well; it's held at the NC Fairgrounds in on Saturdays and Sundays in west Raleigh. It's large, and there are other events held there, too, this weekend, such as a mineral/gem show, horse show (both free), and Southern Home Show (home improvement, cost $8). It's fun just walking around.

The Farmer's Market is fun and is held every day. Eat a Southern breakfast at the round building. Have a fish fry in another building for lunch. You'll see vegetables in season, plants, and fresh flowers, as well as other little shops. (I'm not comfortable in some of its surrounding neighborhoods.) You can get there through downtown or go via 440. Here is the not-easy-to-find link:
NCDA&CS - Marketing Division - Raleigh Farmers Market

If you're in town on Saturday (4/4/09) and you like bluegrass music, go to The Pit restaurant on West Davie Street in downtown Raleigh, and they'll have free bluegrass music and inexpensive barbecue (traditional NC pork) in the afternoon. We'll be there, and I think others from this board may be there, too. Should be a nice day. Look for NorthRaleighGuy's info he posted today about it.

Have fun!

P.S. What job was that you were no longer interested in? I am a writer. I'll take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary