Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,470 times

Advertisements

I've played all but one or two courses in the area. Steer clear of the private courses unless you don't mind shelling out 25k on initiation and 300+ per month in dues. Here are my picks:

Top Tier

The Neuse in Clayton

In my opinion, the best public course in the area. Nice, moderatley priced custom homes. Community also has an outdoor pool and tennis courts. Only down side is the commute may be too long depending on where you work. The neuse is located on the far side of Clayton.

Very Close Second

Heritage in Wake Forest
Great course. Custom homes that tend to get a bit pricey.

Eagle Ridge in Garner
Tract built homes....schools not the best.

River Ridge in Raleigh
Fun course with a wide variety of holes. Nice custom homes, great location, schools not so good.

Decent

Riverwood in Clayton
Best Value. Course is decent but gets a lot of play. $180 per month gets unlimited golf with cart for the entire family. Monthly dues also get you access to three gyms plus indoor and outdoor pools.

Don't even think about it

Heddingham
Terrible neighborhood. Terrible golf course. One of the worst I've ever played.

Lochmere
Great neighborhood. Terrible golf course.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I'm not sure where you gathered this from, but it's really quite inaccurate.

A) There are a TON of public courses.
Really? Have a link/info?

Quote:
there are plenty of passable public layouts within 30 minutes of RDU, and most rarely get higher than $80 in greens fees.

B) There are plenty of clubs to join for a reasonable price - semi-privates can sometimes be under $200 monthly
Well if THAT's all

FYI many of us are not hard-core enough golfers and/or simply cannot casually shell out $80 a pop and/or $200 a month just to be in a club and be allowed to golf somewhere. I'd say we strongly disagree on what is considered "affordable."

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
How many public courses have you played in the Raleigh area. I can name you 15 off the top of my head.
OK I'm listening.....

Quote:
You were wrong about us only having small lots and you are wrong again on this one.
I know I wasn't on the small lots because I've driven around plenty to know better, but believe whatever you want there (and it's off topic anyway). I'm less sure about the public courses, but near as I can tell the jury is out, at least.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
Triad Golf Directory

Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 PM

Would you like me to rattle off 15 public courses Joey? Not a problem. Try a google search if you don't believe it. There are far more public courses than private in this area. I have to say that $80 is a bit steep and I only know of a few that charge that much (Tobacco Road, Finley (UNC), and Duke are the ones that come to mind). Most courses seldom get above $60 for weekend play. Play weekdays or look for coupons and its easy to play in the $30 range.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
Oh boy, here we go.

This is entirely off the top of my head.

Preserve at Jordan Lake
Chapel Ridge
Neuse
Mill Creek
Hillandale
Falls Village
The Crossings
Duke
Finley at UNC
Wildwood Green
Lochmere
Crooked Creek
Heritage
Lakeshore
Olde Liberty

That's 15, REALLY quickly. I've lived here a year and a half and I am sure there are dozens I am missing, so again, I have no clue what you are talking about.

And, anyone inquiring about membership I am sure has the coin to swing $150/month membership.

"Affordable" and "Golf" do not go hand in hand...in an objective sense, NO golf, even the cheapest, dumpiest track and a crappy set of clubs, isn't affordable. $200 for clubs and $25/round to play to some is expensive. So, we're left with the spectrum of relativity, and yes, when a course like Hasentree or Old Chatham is getting $25k initiation and $400+/monthly, a course with a $2000 initiation and $150 in monthly dues for a family membership IS affordable and IS a bargain.

Sorry you don't think so, and you can keep kicking your Wal-Mart special golf ball around Occoneechee if you'd like, but for the vast majority of people committed enough to making golf a priority, like the original poster in this thread I'd assume, getting an unlimited play membership at a semi-private club for the same price as a single round of golf for a husband and wife in many other cities in the country is a heck of a deal.

The jury is out? What jury? What are they deciding, and what are they comparing against? Show me any area that has markedly better value in public golf? The reality is there is NO area that will satisfy your requirements of affordable golf if that means perfect greens, groomed fairways, raked bunkers, and a $18 price tag.

If you are actually a golfer and you hem and haw about the price, then I'm afraid you've chosen the wrong sport to play. I hear that there are a lot of public tennis courts around here, and I think I saw a badminton set on sale at Costco for $24.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Really? Have a link/info?

Well if THAT's all

FYI many of us are not hard-core enough golfers and/or simply cannot casually shell out $80 a pop and/or $200 a month just to be in a club and be allowed to golf somewhere. I'd say we strongly disagree on what is considered "affordable."

OK I'm listening.....

I know I wasn't on the small lots because I've driven around plenty to know better, but believe whatever you want there (and it's off topic anyway). I'm less sure about the public courses, but near as I can tell the jury is out, at least.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

public courses
Brevofield
Wendell CC
Zebulon CC
Wil-Mar
Pine Hollow
Paschal in WF(9 holes)
Reedy Creek(nice course and layout for the money)
Hedingham(an awful couse imo in awful condition)
Deep River in Sanford
Hillandale in Durham
Lakeshore in Durham
RGA in Raleigh
Wildwood Green in North Raleigh
The Neuse
River Ridge
The Crossings
Falls Village
Eagle Ridge
Heritage
Keith Hills in Buies Creek(great public course)
Lochmere
Occaneechi in Hillsborough
The Preserve at Jordan Lake
Riverwood in Clayton

These are all either public or semi-private. That should be enough to keep you busy this spring and summer

You can always drive to Sanford or Pinehurst and have your pick of dozens of public courses.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
I think the jury just came back with a verdict.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I think the jury just came back with a verdict.
You and uncletupelo rattled off over 30 and I can think of several more not listed. I guess the verdict is out.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM

188 posts, read 748,346 times
Are you looking for a country club or a golf club?

Private Country Clubs in the area include: Prestonwood, McGregor Downs (Cary), Carolina, North Ridge, TPC Wakefield (Raleigh). All of these clubs offer full country club amenities including golf, tennis, pool, restaurants, and extensive social events. They are strictly private and priced accordingly.

The area offers tons of semi-private and public golf clubs, with varying levels of amenities. Heritage in Wake Forest is the nicest semi-private club in the area, IMO. Great golf course and a decent amount of amenities, but not in the same league as the private clubs. The Neuse (Clayton), River Ridge (Raleigh/ Clayton), Wildwood Green, Eagle Ridge (Raleigh), Crooked Creek (Fuquay) are also good semi-private courses, but also offer very little amenities compared to the private clubs. Each of these, along with a ton of other semi-private/ public courses in the area are very hungry for new members and offering really good deals.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

You are so right sneeze- golf and cheap are like oil and water. It is baffling to me how people make assumptions about things that are new to the area without actually checking things out. I would bet they we have an average amount of public courses for a metro our size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary