Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,087,756 times

Advertisements

Yes, absolutely. My electricity bill was $35 last month for a family of 3 in a 2900 sq. ft. house w/ gas hot water, furnace and range. Gas plus electric last month was $184, and my average gas + electric is about $150/mo over the course of a year. Even in the heat of summer the electric bill rarely tops 1000 kwh, or $100. I almost wish electricity costs would double because it might provide the final push for me to invest in a grid-tie PV array.

While utility costs have risen some, they're still not high enough IMO to cause many folks to change their behaviours w/ regards to consumption. I'd love to see an aggressive tiered rate structure to encourage low utilization. This is being done widely now with municipal water and hopefully it works. We certainly don't use much; we average about 25 gal/person/day of water use, and this shouldn't go up in summer b/c we have irrigation pulling from a cistern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,378,934 times
How in the world do you only use 1000 kwh w/ a 2900 sq ft house in the summer? I have a fairly new 2000 sq ft home that uses 1300-1400 kwh and set my tstat to 80F.

While your winter bills might be low mine are not, 1500 kwh for an all electric house. If rates were to double I'd throw in a wood or pellet stove instead, how's that for the environment?

You guys must not take showers either, my wife and I use 66/gallon per day total and I am gone half the month.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You're right, Hawaii alone would be more, I should have said "mainland", but whatever.

Stop and think about how much electricity they use in Hawaii, no A/C, no heat, solar hot water. Now think about how much we use. Our rates would be double the US national average. That is NOT GOOD for business.
Why not? It's not like we have a choice when it comes to where we get our electricity from (unless we build our own solar or wind powered generators and then your HOA will have a fit )

Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM

Because a higher cost of doing business means businesses don't relocate here. That's why.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
How in the world do you only use 1000 kwh w/ a 2900 sq ft house in the summer? I have a fairly new 2000 sq ft home that uses 1300-1400 kwh and set my tstat to 80F.

While your winter bills might be low mine are not, 1500 kwh for an all electric house. If rates were to double I'd throw in a wood or pellet stove instead, how's that for the environment?

You guys must not take showers either, my wife and I use 66/gallon per day total and I am gone half the month.
I tend to open windows a lot, especially in the evenings, when the temps are low enough to justify it (in summer obviously). That alone can significantly cut A/C use down. I also religiously tilt blinds to allow sun in in winter and keep it out during summer. When at home I keep blinds open to keep from using electric lights. We also use set-back thermostats that adjust the inside temp by up to 8 degrees when we're out.

We each shower at least once daily and bathe our son almost every day. We probably average 5-6 loads of laundry a week, including use of an electric dryer; 4-5 dishwasher loads per week, too. We do let it mellow when it's yellow, and that makes a huge difference in water use.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
i live way below my means. i listen to dave ramsey all the time.
you know the grasshopper and the aunt kids story. dig that book out of the attic.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I tend to open windows a lot, especially in the evenings, when the temps are low enough to justify it (in summer obviously). That alone can significantly cut A/C use down. I also religiously tilt blinds to allow sun in in winter and keep it out during summer. When at home I keep blinds open to keep from using electric lights. We also use set-back thermostats that adjust the inside temp by up to 8 degrees when we're out.

We each shower at least once daily and bathe our son almost every day. We probably average 5-6 loads of laundry a week, including use of an electric dryer; 4-5 dishwasher loads per week, too. We do let it mellow when it's yellow, and that makes a huge difference in water use.
I do the same but 80F happens quickly and the a/c kicks on. We use window fans when the weather is <80F to bring in cool(er) air without turning on the a/c. In winter I open all the blinds to let the maximum amount of light in, still keeping it at 66F it gets cold. I honestly don't know how your bill is that low.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I do the same but 80F happens quickly and the a/c kicks on. We use window fans when the weather is <80F to bring in cool(er) air without turning on the a/c. In winter I open all the blinds to let the maximum amount of light in, still keeping it at 66F it gets cold. I honestly don't know how your bill is that low.
Yeah, I'm not sure either to be honest, but I'm not complaining! We are using no more electricity or gas than in our previous home which was 2300 sq. ft. and built in 2000. Our home is new (2007), built to a very high standard, and has all Energy Star appliances. The house, however, is not Energy Star certified (i.e. - no sealed crawlspace or attic).

Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 PM

578 posts, read 3,077,943 times
I'd consider looking into solar roof panels or something. There's currently significant tax credits for energy producing/conserving appliances and home upgrades. And doubling of the electric rate would potentially make it overall more attractive financially.

In all seriousness though. The prices of things ONLY go up when compared to the past. Though doubling the rate instantly seems absurd, particularly when these big energy corporations are raking it in hand over fist. HAND OVER FIST I TELL YOU!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,952,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Yep, yep, yep. Some people can afford a bill that doubles but most of us can't. If I could, I wouldn't want to. My winter bills were $130/month and I kept the thermostat on 74F. I don't even want to think about what my summer bills will look like if I keep my current thermostat setting of 78F for cooling.
Did you stop driving your car last summer when the price of gasoline tripled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary