Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,577 times

Advertisements

Green Leaf is the new restaurant that has opened in the old, short-lived Taste of India location off of University Dr. next to Auto Zone and behind Super Target.

Went for lunch today with my wife and this place is fantastic! The chef is from Tamil Nadu region of India so his spicing defnitely has a South Indian hand. I had the non veg kal dosa and my wife had the veg kal dosa. Kal dosa is thicker than a traditional dsa, which is more crepe like, whereas as the kal dosa is more like a crisy flat pancake. The chef's choice meat for my dish turned out to be chicken chettinad and it was very delicious. My wife's veg dish turned out to be a spicier version of navratan korma, creamy, slightly sweet from the veggies and lovely fragrance of warm spices. The best thing about this place is the curries tasted very different from each other. The name of the restaurant may imply they are vegetarian and that may be their bent given they are South Indian but there are plenty of non vg dishes, which I think sets it apart from other good South Indian joints in the area like Udipi Cafe and Tower. I also liked that they offered a wide variety of dishes, not just the typical tandoori, tikka malasa, etc., of other Indian places. This was been a constant lament of mine. The service is very friendly. Anand and Stalin (yes, that's his name and he's proud of it) are generous and friendly characters. Lastly, the prices are reasonable-- much better than Saffron, my current reigning Indian restaurant champion. I am already willing to call this place one of the best Indian restaurants in the Triangle and if the same quality and experience follows after the next few visits I am already leaning towards naming this place the best Indian restaurant in the Triangle, IMO of course. I know it's been just one meal but being of Indian origin, growing up eating Indian food daily, and having eaten in countless Indian restaurants in the US and Europe I know good Indian food when I eat it.

And no, I have no affiliation with these folks. I am just trying my best to get the word out because this place needs to survive. Oh, and while they have a lunch and dinner buffet, I really encourage you to order off the menu. I think it's far more interesting and likely of better quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,628 times
Ooooh, sounds yummy!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,573 times
Thanks for the information, I will have to try that! Sounds good!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,936 times
I must agree with the OP. We had a chicken biryani dish this Sunday and oooh! was is good. You also get a lot for the price unlike some places. Our family of five (2 adults and 3 kids under 10) ate the from one dish and we were all full from it.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,354 times
Mmm! Thanks. How do you think it compares to Kandas, which is another South Indian restaurant in the triangle that offers non-veg foods. Kandas is off of 54 in Cary/Morrisville.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 PM

I have not tried Kandas yet but my colleagues who live in Cary/Apex who have tried it speak favorably of it. I really need to get over there for a comparison taste test.

I have tried Mint in Chapel Hill, and while the food is good-- and the atmosphere is wonderful, really puts Green Leaf to shame-- the food at Green Leaf is a notch or two better.

Oh, and sorry about all the typos everybody!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,325 times
Default yummy!

Thanks for the info. We are going to Durham tomorrow to file taxes. I am definitely going there for lunch. Do you mind giving the street address / landmark as I am not familiar with the area.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
Thanks for the info. We are going to Durham tomorrow to file taxes. I am definitely going there for lunch. Do you mind giving the street address / landmark as I am not familiar with the area.
4215-1 University Dr.
Durham, NC 27707
Phone: (919) 493--0033

If you know where the Super Target on 15-501 is, it is in a small strip mall directly behind Super Target, next to an Auto Zone store. The strip mall is next to a Kmart also. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM

206 posts, read 596,817 times
I'm definitely going to have to have our next office lunch catered by this place. I'm always excited for Indian food!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 AM

I tried Green Leaf for a second time, for Sunday lunch this time. Once again, it was quite good. One of the owners spent a good bit of time talking with me. He told me that main persons doing the cooking in the kitchen are two chefs he brought over from India. Both were former chefs in the Taj hotel chain, one from the Mumbai (Bombay) Taj and the other from the Chennai (Madras) Taj. In India, some of the best restaurants are found in the first class hotels and the Taj certainly fits the bill. It's impressive that he has brought in not one but two chefs of this caliber. This is a gutsy move because of the higher salary expense he must be incurring. I'm sure this cost s partially offset but the lower rent and overhead ofthe location that he is in. he said one day he's like to have a place that is as nice as Mint but for now he has to keep his other costs low, which I certainly understand.
I gave him some ideas for different offerings. Because one of his partners is Bengali, I wanted them to offer some Bengali dishes some nights and made specific dish sugestions. I also suggested that some of India's most interesting dishes were the street foods, like was Cool Breeze in cary offers. He liked these ideas and said they will try to add them to their rotation in the future. He said that the chefs he has brought in has another 60 dishes in their repetoire and will roll them out over time to keep things interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary